Phrases | Pad Patter 9.15

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Sep 15, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Do you have silly, odd, or fun phrases that you say around your house? Maybe your mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, friend used to say it? Or you invented it?

In my house, when people can't find something that's right there I say: "If it were a snake, you'd be dead". I inherited that one from my dad.

Not as much now with cell phones, but I used to use the phrase "What's your 20?" often. It meant where are you and when do you think you'll be here? When we drove across the country as a kid, we used to listen to a CB Radio, so we would hear truckers say this all the time. I do sometimes still text it to my husband, but it's rarer than it used to be.

What about you? What are some phrases you use?

umyesh likes this.
  2. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

When we can’t find something we say, “check Chase’s sock drawer”, ever since we found whatever was missing that wasn’t even his in there. :giggle

My mom had lots of sayings too, some I say and some I don’t... sure do miss her.
    “If it was a snake, it would’ve bit ya”
    “It’s hotter than Hades”
    “It’s colder than a witches tit in a brass bra”
    “That’s warmer than pee.” When you’d bring her a glass of water and didn’t let the tap run long enough to get cold.

I know there’s more I just can’t think of them right now

bestcee likes this.
  3. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I've probably said it a million times in the last 24 years "WILL!!! My living room is NOT a gymnasium." Said it this past Sunday night when Will (26) came over to visit and initiated a wrestling match with his 16 y.o. brother in my living room.

I also say "this too shall pass and all shall be happy happy" when things are going to H-E-double hockey sticks and I'm trying to reassure myself or someone else that I/they will get through it.

Oh, my dad used to shout "Go to blazes!" a lot when I was a kid. And my mom's most used phrase was probably "if you get hurt, don't come crying to me" after she'd told us girls to stop doing something and we kept it up. I seem to remember doing a lot of wrestling in her living room, lol!!!

bestcee likes this.
  4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

"Flutamagoodus"
    A totally made up word (wasn't until I was at least a teenager before I realized that!) that my dad made up when my sister & I were kids to describe your wrinkly fingers/toes when you've been in the water too long. As in "You need to get out of the pool before you get Flutamagoodus." :giggle

"Amazing"
    One time my mom was visiting, she just kept using Amazing for every adjective. Ever since, it's an inside joke that something is "amazing!"

"Back Fast Forward"
    My kids still say this when they really mean "rewind" a tv show or movie. Seriously doesn't make any sense- but it's what they BOTH say!?

bestcee likes this.
  5. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

Mom did this on a trip one time. Everything was FANTASTIC. It became a running joke for a bit.

Other phrases:

"Where's my phonebook?!" = "Where's my phone/Kindle?!" My dad said this when my mom took his Kindle because she ran out of physical books on a trip. It's stuck haha.

Anytime it looks rainy, Mom says "Storms comin'" in a gravely voice. Cracked me up when she first did it, so it's another one that's stuck.

If it's late, Dad says it's "dark-thirty." Better wrap up things because it's too late/too dark/bedtime.

@gonewiththewind You should take a pic of that paper layout of all my kid phrases lol.

bestcee, gonewiththewind and amien1 like this.
  6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

When someone asks me where something is...'hanging on my eyelash playing Tarzan"
    Or "in the fridge behind the carrots."
    When people try and call me - "I don't use my phone for that."
    When the kids were fighting, "don't get blood on the carpet"
    "squirrel' for when you get distracted and lose your train of thought.

7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

"A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine" <-- I also have this hanging on the wall in my classroom :)
    I am the only female in the house, so when someone loses something I always say "Try not looking for it like a man" or "Try looking for it like a woman would" :giggle
    I know there are many others, just drawing a blank :) I'll come back if I think of them.

bestcee likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I wish I would have done this for all her years, but alas, I was not consistent. Anyway, here's @LivyBug 's sayings from when she was four.

PXL_20210915_201722418.jpg

Shoot a monkey (like an exclamation, in place of a curse word)
    For the love of Grover (to express frustration or disbelief)
    I'm sweating like a whore in church (use this frequently as I am in full menopausal hot flashes and sweats)
    I'm off like a herd of turtles (when everything is conspiring against me leaving the house on time)
    Good gravy (another exclamation)

My grandma used to say, about bathing:
    Wash up as far as possible, wash down as far as possible, then wash possible.

My hubby likes to refer to me as "my lady friend" from time to time when he's feeling silly. We had some dubious neighbors down the street, but their son knew Daniel from elementary school. Jay went down with Daniel to supervise, and the guy that was there was telling Jay all about his "lady friend" (so we knew he wasn't married to the kid's mom, but were just boyfriend/girlfriend/shacking up).

bestcee likes this.
  9. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

"I'm a bear!" came up during COVID/shelter-in-place. It's something we say after someone else has said something random and not at all related to what we're talking about.

"You are such a treasure & a delight." is something I say when one of the kids, usually my preteen, is being a particular pain-in-the-behind, usually on purpose, to express my annoyance to said person.

"We are not horses! We don't stand up to eat!" is something I say to my son on a regular basis. 'Nuff said.

bestcee likes this.
  10. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

A few from our house.

"Don't be that crevice in my arm!" Said when someone is being annoying. It comes from the show Psych. I usually use it with my older girls.

My hubby says, "That was my nickname in high school" when a funny phrase is said or seen. For instance in the grocery store if he saw sticky buns he might say, "That was my nickname in high school." Try it. It's kind of fun! He does it almost too much. LOL!

"Don't judge a boy by his shorts." One of my girls came up with this after seeing some crazy shorts on a boy and we realized we judged him too quickly. Haha. So, now when we see a boy wearing weird shorts we say that...and we don't judge.

Another favorite is, "It is what it is!"

bestcee likes this.
  11. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Jesus wept...I say that when something is unbelievable stupid or sad. ( found out recently it is a proverb .)
    Pot and kettle. (The pot calling the kettle black is the proper phase) for when both has a similar fault, both the one feels compelled to call the other out on it.
    When we can't find letter,paper,document : "Look for a brown envelope "
    My paternal grandma used this a lot,about an untidy place : " it looks worse than a whore's cabin on a sinking ship.
    I still vaguely remember my mum trying to explain the word whore to me when I was a bout 5 or 6. Lol
    Oh and my dad's favourite. : I have an opinion - until I get an other one.

bestcee and Cherylndesigns like this.
  12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I've always said "For Pete's Sake!". Most of the grandkids picked it up too and it sounds so funny when they say it. When my oldest started saying it, he was really little - it sounded like "Pee-Say". We say Pee Say to this day.

All the years that Asher lived with us, he always giggled when I was on my computer and he heard me say it. He knew I was frustrated when I said it.

bestcee and Sokee like this.
  13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

We tend to have phrases come and go based on inside jokes. One vacation we said "just sayin" to everything. One time at my parents they got into an incident over bratwurst. So for quite awhile after that we said "bratwurst" whenever someone was acting cranky or argumentative. It is kind of fun to have a catch phrase that only the immediate family understands.

When I was in high school, my algebra 2 teacher would always "well, kiss a pig", which was pretty funny considering he also raised pigs.

bestcee likes this.
  14. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

@Cherylndesigns
    We have said ‘for Pete’s sake!’ Too maybe it’s a Michigan saying?

“Sufferin' succotash!"

when the kids used to be looking for something and ask me where it was I would say “don’t worry you will find it in the last place you look”

I would get really mad instead of swearing I always would say “fudddgge!!!”
    Because I always had kids around.

it wasn’t until my daughter moved 1300 miles away snd used the term "ope” on someone and they were like ‘what?’ She told them it means ‘ooops or excuse me’

15. Cherylndesigns

That's funny, Barbara. Maybe it is a Michigan thing. When the kids were little (and he still says this) "Where's Mom"? He always said "last time I saw her, she was flying over the house". Our DD was laughing about that the other day.

bestcee likes this.
  16. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

Not really a phrase but a word... being from the south, I say "y'all" more than I realize.

17. Cherylndesigns

Okay - a family joke. When Cameron was 2 (he's 23 now) we were trying to find my youngest DD, Stephanie. We were on elevators and kept missing each other.

Little Cam said "And I'm Like, Where in the H--- is Aunt Steffie?" We've said that all these years. "And I'm Like" :lol:lol:lol

18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

the most recent one we've added is 'it sucks to suck', it started from 'it sucks to be you' that the kids were saying and apparently now some of DD's friends also say 'sucks to suck' so she's apparently said it beyond our family which was never the intention :blush

bestcee likes this.
  19. bestcee

We say this too, usually as oh-dark thiry. Also, it's "late o'clock".

LivyBug likes this.
  20. bestcee

Yep! We use this since we watched the movie Up.

I love this! I need to start using it.

We say "Cool Story Bro". Regardless of if the person is male or female. Where did the "I'm a bear!" come from?

We shortened that one too! We always say "Pot Meet Kettle".