Photoshop Update 24 Feb 2023: Rulers not visible???

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by cfile, Mar 1, 2023.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I am on Windows 10 and I noticed my rulers were missing with the latest update. Adobe is currently looking into this but the question was asked in the Adobe Community forum and there is a temporary fix:

Q: After today's (24 Feb. 2023) update the rulers and guides are not visible and will not turn on with the crtl R. Anyone else have this issue? How do I fix this?

A: "Please follow this step and then restart your Photoshop and check whether the issue gets resolved or not, Open Photoshop's preferences by clicking on Edit > Preferences > Go to Technology preview, you will find an option labelled as "Deactivate native canvas", check mark it, and then see there should be another option that is labelled as "Use older node of GPU 2016", check mark it and then restart the Photoshop." (original answer location: https://community.adobe.com/t5/phot...after-newest-update-to-photoshop/m-p/13614399)

I just had to go into Preferences>Technology Preview> Check mark "Use older node of GPU 2016" and restarted my computer.. PS CC is now reflecting my rulers again.

[I had rulers marked under my view but with the recent update, even though ruler was marked, the rulers were invisable. It was making me crazy!! So glad there is a temp fix for now :)]

upload_2023-3-1_6-36-5.png

2. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I hate when they change things like that and then you're left wondering what the heck, how do I fix this?!

I don't use rulers often, but I'll have to come back to this post for the answer. Thanks for sharing

cfile likes this.
  3. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

I can't miss the rulers ... I'm a Mac user and everything seems ok here ...

4. cfile

Even yesterday with the update it did not fix.. I will say the above with the "Deactivate Native Canvas" and "Older GPU model (pre 2016)" both checked, now my warp is working too... before that, with the recent update, the warp was wonky that you couldn't see what the result was going to look like until it was done. With these items checked my rulers are visable and my warp is working too..

I unchecked those items yesterday with the "adobe update" and found these items were still not fixed so I went back into the preferences and checked them again, and restarted photoshop and I was back in business.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  5. cfile

So glad you are ok with the Mac.. I am a Windows user so perhaps that is the issue, but it looks like it is befuddling some on the Adobe forum with the issues with the recent updates.

6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Hmmm - might be a Windows 10 thing. Rulers are working fine in on my Windows 11 machine. I didn't have to modify any of the settings since they never disappeared.

cfile likes this.
  7. cfile

Thank you!! That is what i am thinking too!

8. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I’m on PC with windows 10 and I still have rulers. I have had tons of issues with the latest updates tho. Mainly, PS never remembers my preferences so every time I restart, I have to set everything up again. It’s so annoying. Also, LR crashes every time I try to import photos. When it restarts, it’s fine. I hope you get it fixed.

cfile likes this.
  9. cfile

Thanks Dawn.. that is working but it is glitchy too .. ugh!

10. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I had wondered why my rulers in PSCC had gone walkabout....this answers it for us Windows users it seems, thanks @cfile for investigating and posting

cfile likes this.
  11. cfile

if you click those 2 items that I mentioned above with the "Deactivate Native Canvas" and "Older GPU model (pre 2016)" both checked, besides the rulers, now warp will work too, but you have to set it and then restart PS CC for it to be there.

Warp was acting funny where it would twist up and you couldn't tell the warp until you accepted it then would have to go and adjust it again!

12. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@cfile for me it seemed to only go wonky once but as soon as an update came through I've been fine since

cfile likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My rulers are fine (Windows 10). I wish that was my issues!

Photoshop: it's doing that thing again where it won't let go of the transform box.
    Lightroom: When keywording with "none" it won't advance to the next photo. Ugh. Also, super slow when trying to select photos or change folders. So annoying, I ended up rolling Lightroom back to a previous update.

It's frustrating because both are bugs that we've had before, so you would think they would be easy to fix. But nope! I really need to master Affinity this summer and kiss Photoshop issues goodbye.

cfile likes this.
  14. cfile

Courtney, maybe try that fix I showed in the first post in the thread.. I say this as I was not really complaining about the warp but my invisable rulers and when I selected the "Deactivate Native Canvas" and "Older GPU model (pre 2016)" it fixed my transform/warp tool so it may do that for you with the transform box. These few things now and again I will put up with as I am too old at this point to learn new software and I like my actions and styles from PhotoShop :)

bestcee likes this.