Photoshop Question...

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by zenjen, Jan 2, 2015.

1. zenjen

zenjen PIkes Peak Paradise

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but seemed better than the regular help section of the forum…

I have researched this and cannot find a good answer, hoping one of you has one because it frustrates me and slows down my scrapping…we can't have that now can we???

:thumbsdowns:groan:helpy

When I try to grab a small object in photoshop, like there isn't enough room for the arrow/cursor, it doesn't want to grab hold of it…and just when I think i finally have it, I drag to move the object and a little crosshairs symbol moves instead of the whole element. I know I can nudge the objects but sometimes when i drag an item on my layout and it goes to the center and I want the flower or whatever all the way to the side, that takes too too long.

Help!

What do you do, I am pulling my hair out over here, lol

Thank you in advance...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I think I might know...not sure...
    sometimes...photoshop updates without us knowing...and things get wacked..
    if you go to preference (>edit.preference and then general )
    there are boxes that need to be checked or unchecked
    see if zoom clicked point to center is UNclicked...
    this is a maybe....
    the other thought is that you have the snap enabled. Look under VIEW, snap.

this may or may not be the answer!? sorry? I know I had this happen before and I can't for the life of me remember how I fixed it

3. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

With the item selected (if need be, in the layer pallet), hold down the control (or command) key and then you can click/drag from anywhere to move that item

4. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

When you have the Move tool selected, control - as Lisa suggested above - toggles on/off Auto Select. Auto Select means it selects the topmost layer right under where you click on your canvas. When that's off, you can click anywhere and it goes by what is selected in your layers palette.

I always have Auto Select turned off (there's a checkbox up at the top if you have the Move tool selected). This means I can always click and drag anywhere to move the layer selected in the layers palette. I prefer it that way. If I want to select a layer using Auto Select instead of the layers palette, I can hold control before I click on it.

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Jen, I know what you mean... that is only on small elements as there is not enough room when the marching ants/transform tool is activated. I generally will look as I go to move and if the center mark moves instead of the item I just move it back and try to grab again.

Lorry made a note here re the auto select... I prefer using the auto select but I will try turning that off on a small object and see if that changes this behavior. I also will try Lisa's suggestion holding down the control button... good luck!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  6. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Holding down control turns it off, but only while you're holding it down. If you generally want it on, that's a great way to go.

7. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

You can also just zoom in to 100%; there aren't many elements that you can't select without getting that middle marker at 100%.

8. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Oooh, so glad I read this... I had no idea about some of these nifty tools!