Photoshop Help needed, please!

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Feb 22, 2022.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm slowly getting around to learning PSE. I've figured out how to extract an image from a photo, but I can't figure out how to save the extraction as a .jpeg to use not in PSE (I'd like to bring the .jpeg into Artisan). Can someone please tell me how to do this? I've been reading the Users Guide and I'm lost.

Thank you!! :heartslub

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Jan if you have extracted something and want it to remain with a transparent background to use in Artisan or other programs including PSE you would need to save it as a png file and not a jpeg. When you save something as a jpeg it flattens the image, and then all the work you did to extract is lost.

Once you extract turn off the eye on all the layers, except your extraction. You should then go to file save and when it is looking for the type of file you wish to save as, select png from the drop down.

Let me know if this works for you. Otherwise I can do screen shots for you.

easyeyes4you likes this.
  3. QuiltyMom

I had no idea what the eye was, so I clicked it. When I tried to save, I got the original photo.
    I'm also not seeing any layers... Sorry - this is only my third time trying to use the program. This is what I have... minus the marching ants because the snipping tool doesn't recognize them. I basically extracted the butterbeer mug.

upload_2022-2-22_11-16-12.png

4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

click window < check layers and you should get the layers panel on the right. Then click the eye on the layers you don't want to show.

ETA: Or click layers at the bottom right of your screen

QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. QuiltyMom

Cool. I did that and all I have is Layer One, which is empty, and the background, the photo. Obviously I'm doing something wrong here. I did the Select>Save Selection (found that on the website help page). I'm still not sure what that did.

ETA: I also clicked on the background, now it's just a layer. Can't figure out how to get it back to background (if that's necessary). I'm learning as I go along! This is similar but different from Artisan...

6. cfile

First you need to see your layers Jan... at the bottom of the screen click on layers.. that will then show all your layers.
    (my rough extraction)
    upload_2022-2-22_11-43-36.png

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  7. QuiltyMom

I see the layers, but the second layer is empty. I can't figure out how to get the selection to save as a separate layer. It can't be that hard to do, right?

I did the Select>Save Selection, but I don't know what that exactly did. When I try to load the selection in the new layer, I'm getting nothing.

upload_2022-2-22_11-37-41.png

8. cfile

First you need to see your layers Jan... at the bottom of the screen click on layers.. that will then show all your layers.
    (my rough extraction)
    [​IMG]

Try the load selection again on the actual photo... when the mug is selected, do a ctrl+J which will duplicate your selection of the mug and place it on a seperate layer.

then turn the eye off on all the other layers.

File>Save as png file to where ever you want to save it.

Try that...

otherwise start over by extracting the mug and then follow after instead of saving selections

QuiltyMom and keepscrappin like this.
  9. QuiltyMom

@cfile - Now I see the problem. I haven't figured out how to get the extraction. I'm feeling rather dumb at this point. I've been searching how to do the extraction on their help page and I can't figure it out.

ETA:
    I also got a "Could not make a new layer from the selection because no pixels are selected." I also get nothing when I load the selection that I had saved.

10. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

When you got this error, was your original photo layer selected? You need to see the marching ants and have the layer of the source you want to copy selected in your layer panel. You don't need to create a new layer, that will automatically happen when you right click and choose "new layer via copy" - phrasing might be slightly different because I'm in CC not PSE. Also make sure you have the correct tool selected when you try to copy. I'm not sure what it's called in PSE, but just keep with whatever you used to create the path of marching ants.

11. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

That error could come because you need to be on the photo layer when you select the area and use the control j command to copy to a new layer.

I sent you a pm too. We can do a google chat if that would help.

QuiltyMom and cfile like this.
  12. cfile

@QuiltyMom Jan, I have PSE15 up so I am not sure if the version you have has the extraction thing. I use the polygonal lasso and did it manually... once I used the lasso to go around the mug & hand I did ctrl+J on windows which duplicates and places it on it's own layer.

I then would turn off the eye and save as the png.. I think it is becoming more complicated as you have the save selection stuck there.. there is no need to save the selection.

1) Use the polygonal lasso tool to do the selection around the mug. This will add the marching ants around the selection.
    2) Hold down the control button and J letter at the same time (Ctrl+J) That will put your extraction on it's own layer.
    3) Turn off the eye on the jpg layer so all you see in the workspace is the mug extraction with transparent background.
    4) File>Save as png to use in other programs as well as PSE.

13. QuiltyMom

That was it!!!! Thanks!!! I'll also let you know if we need to chat sometime. I'm taking this baby steps at a time...

HeatherB, cfile and keepscrappin like this.
  14. QuiltyMom

@cfile @keepscrappin - Thank you so much for your patience with me on this! I really do appreciate it! :bk

keepscrappin and cfile like this.
  15. cfile

no worries, as long as you are able to get it working :) and I explained it so I did not confuse the situation :)

QuiltyMom likes this.
  16. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Hoorah for you, Jan!!! I remember when I first started Photoshop. I felt REALLY dumb, too.:crazy3 But good people from digiland:angel:heartslub helped me along the way like they have here!

bestcee, cfile and QuiltyMom like this.
  17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm so glad you were able to get help here Jan. I remember when I was learning Photoshop and it was so frustrating because I didn't know where anything was or what I was doing. It was only out of pure stubborness that I stuck with it and finally figured out the basics. I would have LOVED to have this forum back then to help me out! :) I hope things get a little easier with each thing you figure out. If you haven't ever watched videos on Cheryl's YouTube channel, you should check it out. That might help you with some of the basics too if you're a visual learner. :agree

gonewiththewind and QuiltyMom like this.
  18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

gonewiththewind and QuiltyMom like this.
  19. QuiltyMom

Thank you, @Karen ! I simply need to take a week to sit down and learn it all, watch Cheryl's videos, and try things out. The problem is I'm not used to the lingo, such as layers, which we have in Artisan but isn't called that. Things are the same but different and my brain is balking and going on strike. LOL! But I do appreciate this place and how helpful everyone is (and patient!!). The Lilypad rocks!

bestcee, sm_amber, Karen and 2 others like this.