Photoshop for iPad!!!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by SharLamb, Nov 4, 2019.

1. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Just heard it is finally available. Not feeling well today, so haven't investigated, but it looks REAL! Anyone else excited?

jk703 and Iowan like this.
  2. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I saw that earlier today! Sounds awesome, but I haven't checked it out. I'll be anxious to hear all about it!

3. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Haven't checked it out. Don't use an iPAD though, so I'll have to see if it works on the phone.

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

WHAT!?!?! Really! That's so exciting! I'm going to go check it out. I REALLY hope it works on my phone too. There have been so many times that I'm away from my desk and I need to change something simple on a something!

5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Oh goodness, I would love this. I've been wanting to change from a laptop to an ipad for scrapping forever, but liked PS the most out of the options.

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Is this a stand alone app or is it part of the CC subscription? I looked at the App store with my phone and I'm not seeing anything new from Photoshop... just the few photo editing type apps.

7. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

In the adobe app I see that the new versions of PS 20.0.07 and PS 21 are for desktop and iPad (two little icons) .. version 21 is for mobile
    for the subscription LR and PS ...
    I can't try because I have an older iPad ...

8. SharLamb

KAREN: Part of the CC subscription. I’m not sure if it works with iPhones...May be restricted to iPad. I don’t see how anyone could work on a screen as small as an iPhone, anyway...many are skeptical that they can use the “small” screen of the iPad. But I did with Affinity and Procreate, so, although it won’t be the SAME as the computer, it is doable if you’re motivated to make it so. I am. I love having the option for travel.

Tuesday update:
    PS for iPad update

I’m still under the weather, but while lying in bed this morning, I watched the videos to help get us started with this amazing app. And I say amazing with sincerity. I can see that it will take practice, but it works in some similar ways to ProCreate and Affinity, both of which I have used on my iPad to create layouts. I am blown away by the talent of the people who have designed this app.

My big question now is iCloud storage. I essentially turned off my iCloud storage a few weeks ago because I kept getting warnings that it was full. Since I have other back-up options, I didn’t want to have to pay Apple for more iCloud storage. But now I’m thinking I may have to go that route if I really want to use this...and I do. I will post an update on that when I get it figured out (which may be awhile since I have First Class Brain Fog at the moment!—LOL).

PS: the reason for using this app over the other two I mentioned: It looks like I won’t have to put products I want to use into it via Drop Box...still not sure abut that, BUT it is directly compatible with PS on my cpu...a biggie, to me!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Karen likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

A fellow scrapper on Facebook shared that she tried out the app and was disappointed. She couldn't add a drop shadow, she couldn't lock layer transparency, she couldn't invert a layer mask. She was able to import graphics and photos from DropBox and her camera roll and adjust blending modes. Making selections wasn't easy and not intuitive. She felt like she would be doing the layout in the app, but would have to finish it up on her computer.

That's all I know right now. My daughter just got her iPad so she'll be installing it. I'll let you know what I hear from her.

Karen and Ga_L like this.
  10. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread!!

Karen likes this.
  11. SharLamb

There was a “warning” that version 1.0 has basics, but that new features will be added. I think they were in a hurry to get SOMETHING available. I agree...I started a LO on my iPad, but will most definitely have to finish it on my cpu. Drop shadows are an issue on Procreate and Affinity too...you essentially have to duplicate the main object, then fill with a shadow shade of gray and move it where you want it.

I’m afraid it’s not going to be PS, ever, but hoping it will get better.

Karen likes this.
  12. SharLamb

Well, I found a way to get around part of the iCloud issue. I can save a LO started (or even finished) on my iPad, and export it as a psd (layered), then save to my photo library. This does not solve the issue of how to get/use my scrapping supplies on the iPad...may still have to use DropBox. Keeping options open.

Biggest disappointment to me so far is there is no Shape Tool! To make a triangle, I had to use the marquee tool and make/fill a square the color I wanted. Then turn the square 90*, then select the half I didn’t want and fill it w/ the BG color. I think I could have masked it out as an alternative. I was pretty proud to figure out how to do it with my foggy brain this morning. You will be able to see the results in the Art Journaling thread when I post it later.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've never had a tablet and not sure I ever will but I'm curious. :think

14. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this. I have been waiting for it, although I have been working so long in Affinity that I will have to rewire my brain for using photoshop. Not sure I will make the switch until they have the shadow features working like photoshop does. That was one of the big reasons for me wanting it.

15. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I've heard and tried Pixelmator too (years ago, not recently), so that was my other thought if I were to get an iPad? Has anyone tried that one?

16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I truly don't think my brain can handle learning another thing i.e. how to use my iPad for scrapping.

I suspect I'll just keep the iPad for reading or scrolling the net. Betwixt and between all the upgrades for every bit of software I use - and a new car - I think I have a small or not so small issue with each and every one!

17. SharLamb

Update on my iPad/PS saga:
    DH treated me to early Christmas...took me to the Apple Store and bought me the newest iPad Pro...biggest screen (12.9”) and BIGGEST memory...a terabyte (sp?)!!!!!! I think he was so happy to see me well again after 2+ weeks of enduring a virus, it was his way of celebrating. Or maybe he just really wanted my “old” iPad!

Then there was the issue of “how can I actually move scrapping supplies from my iMac to the iPad or CAN I?” Lots of suggestions from several techie people, with decisions to be made on what devices we’d need to get to accomplish that. Then came my “WELL DUH” moment, via Google. I moved all of my Lilypad supplies onto the iPad using air drop. There’s also a way to do it using iTunes, but I’m not good with iTunes, and Air Drop worked well. Even with all those supplies, I’ve got tons of space to move more onto the iPad from the cpu.

As to the iPad itself, it is going to take awhile to get used to having such a big screen (I know...sounds like a Park Avenue Whine, doesn’t it!), but I’m confident I will love it eventually. The comforting and familiar “button” is gone, just as it disappeared from the newer iPhones, and has been replaced with a swipe motion. It will take awhile to get used to that too.

I use a keyboard cover with my iPad. A LOT. So part of the set-up included a new one (& the pencil). I’m returning the Apple keyboard cover today. Number one reason is that when it is connected, the little microphone used for dictation disappears! Not acceptable! There are two work-a rounds: You can disconnect the keyboard from the iPad, or you can ask Siri to send/answer a text w/o disconnecting the keyboard, which takes several steps instead of just touching the microphone icon. Not doing THAT either. Also, this keyboard cover just doesn’t work as smoothly as my old one did, and leaves the pencil more vulnerable to “escape” than I’m comfortable with. I’m planning to rebel, and find a non-Apple keyboard cover. :O

I feel sort of premature in having all this Pad Power when the PS for iPad app is still not up to par for scrapbooking. It will take awhile for me to become comfy with the app anyway, so I’ve got the attitude that Adobe and I will be growing together in that regard. And I’m certain that as the new app has been around awhile, there will be YouTube tutorials on using the app that I will enjoy following.

SO! If you’re inclined to use your iPad for scrapping, I can highly recommend saving your pennies for the 12.9”/1 Terabyte iPad Pro. You will not only have plenty of room to keep supplies right at hand (no more Drop Box!), and even keep .PSD documents on the pad. It is an extravagance (we could have taken a nice vacation with the money spent on it!), and most people won’t even be interested in scrapping on an iPad. But for those who are, it is safe to say that The Time is finally here. It is now easily doable, and Adobe promises more and more features on the PS for iPad app. Hoping “fx,” including shadows and strokes will be included in the first upgrade.

Karen likes this.
  18. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Thanks for all the great info @SharLamb. I have an older iPad Air. I tried using Procreate a couple of months ago and even found a stylus which works reasonably well. However, the complicated transfer of supplies via Dropbox totally put me off. Now I wish I had a Mac Desktop/Laptop so I could use Airdrop - that would be wonderful!!

19. SharLamb

A few hours later:
    Went to Apple store and found the usual awesome support. I was shown how to make the mic appear even when the keyboard is attached. But still, I just did not like the feel of the Apple keyboard. Well! They also carry a Logitech keyboard cover that is not only $50-some less, but feels WAY better, AND has 14 keyboard shortcut keys above the numbers row, including one to make the mic show up even when the keyboard is attached. The pencil is more secure too. It has a wrap-around tab with a slot for the pencil, and closes the iPad and keyboard together securely. It is a little bulkier, but I'm okay with that. Same with recharging ( :O )....the keyboard itself has to be recharged from time to time (the other one didn't), but I was assured the charge lasts a long time, and the worst that can happen is I'd have to use the on-screen keyboard while it charged. It uses the same USBC cable the iPad uses, so no extra cord/charger to buy. I'm happy with my new set-up now. So it is a matter of getting on friendly terms with PS for iPad, and waiting for the fx improvement. Ready. Set. GO!

In the meantime, I see the Art Journal Challenge is going to be a hoot for me to make today: A is for Apple!

Karen and bestcee like this.
  20. SharLamb

Yes, Jane. Drop Box. I guess I haven't spent enough time figuring out DB. I always thought it was sort of fragile and awkward. Air Drop was flawless in this transfer. My migration to Apple has been a long, gradual (even reluctant) one, but I have to say, it is wonderful to have all my devices behave as if they were one, and when there is a problem the staff at the Apple store ALWAYS helps me solve my issues (most always being User Error), and I always leave the store with a smile on my face. Today was no exception.

Karen likes this.