Photoshop CS5 question

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by GodBlessAmerica, Mar 19, 2019.

1. GodBlessAmerica

GodBlessAmerica Active Member

When I had CS5 installed on my iMac I could click on an object in my layout and it would choose that layer in the layers palette. How do I get it to do that again?
    Also when saving tiff layouts what Byte Order should I pick, IBM PC or Macintosh? I also choose LZW right?
    Do most of you save and use .tiff now and not .psd to save your layouts because of the smaller file size? I still have all my .psd files of my old layouts saved and that is where a huge amount of my EHD space went.
    All help greatly appreciated.
    Jan

2. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Along the top make sure you have ticked "auto select" and then it should say layers and then I have ticked "show transform controls".

I save in PSD as there is not much difference in size of file but when saving in TIF... LZW... Interleaved... IBM PC ( if using a PC)... ZIP

I only save PSD for the layouts I think I will want to rearrange or change one day but saying that I still have a lot saved on EHDs that I should tidy up and get rid of.

cfile likes this.
  3. GodBlessAmerica

GodBlessAmerica Active Member

Thank you for the quick reply @A-M

Karen and cfile like this.
  4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thanks @A-M Anne-Marie for the quick response.

5. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I use the same settings. I haven't found byte order matters one way or the other. Regarding file size, if you're dealing with lots of layers there is a significant difference in size between PSD and TIFF. I've done comparisons in the past and the PSD files of the same pages are ~60% larger, which is about 100MB per page for me ... it definitely adds up if you're saving your TIFF/PSD files (which I do).

6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm a tiff saver as well, even if I think I want to go back & modify it before printing - I use LZW & zip options as well

As for the click to select a layer: I'm pretty sure for CS6, (so not sure exactly about CS5 & I'm on a PC), I hold Ctrl & then click to auto select the top layer of where the mouse pointer is pointing, so say that's a button, it saves me scrolling up & down the Layers Palette to find the button layer (I'm on my phone so can't check for sure right now, I may hold Alt instead, I do it without thinking these days!)