Photos of yourself

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jan 4, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Courtney’s @bestcee thread about profile pics had me thinking I barely take any photos of myself at all....I think I have one god awful group photo with me in it for 2020, maybe a handful of iPhone selfies in mid air when I’ve been travelling over the past few years but that’s it. So my question is, if you are predominantly on your own, how do you ensure pictures of you are included in your story?

SeattleSheri likes this.
  2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

how about a tripod? we have a mini one we use that grips things and we can attach it to fences or the back of benches etc for family photos. Set the camera onto a timer. Something like that would work for a single person too.

LynnG, SeattleSheri and bestcee like this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Practice. I'm getting better at selfies with practice. Like, my profile photo I had 15 photos to get one I really liked. I even went and brushed my hair halfway through! :rofl

Also, Tripods are good. I'm actually better at taking selfies, and groupies? (me and DH) with my DSLR. I figured out how to look into the lens mirror and tell where the photo is. And of course, my newer DSLR has a flip screen that I often forget to use. Ugh! I need to work on that.

For me, it's less about equipment, and more about becoming comfortable with myself and reminding myself that I deserve to be in the photo too. It doesn't matter what I weigh, what my hair looks like, or if I'm in at-home clothes (hello 2020!). I made it a goal a few years ago to take a photo of myself at least once a week. It could be a selfie, or one someone else took, but every week, I needed to be in a photo. That helped me work on both the confidence, and the technical skills.

Plus, it's digital. I just delete the bad ones and try again!

4. littlekiwi

That might be something I look into. To be fair, I just don’t even think to take any photos of myself doing just mundane everyday things (which to be fair right now isn’t much) because I’m not sure they’re that interesting I guess. But then this “season” of my life is different to what hopefully lies ahead so I should attempt to get more photos of myself

bestcee and Angela Toucan like this.
  5. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I do selfies, but most of the time is with my daughter Bianca.

6. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I hear you. I’m working on a Christmas book for the years 1969 thru 2004. There are years and years of Christmas photos of my daughters and my husband and only a rare photo of me. I wish I had handed my husband the camera once in a while. It makes me sad that I’m not pictured in these wonderful memories.
    I have gotten better the last few years. So start NOW. Good luck.

LynnG and bestcee like this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I have used a tripod to take photos of myself over the years. I have a small tripod that can sit on a table and hold a lighter weight camera (Rebel T5 would be too heavy for it) that I got when I had my Canon A95. Since that camera had a flip screen it was easy to use for self-portraits with or without the tripod.

I also have a regular tripod that I use quite often. Used it a lot for taking photos of the dogs and was able to get a few good photos of myself with Pepper and Paige using the timer on the camera and the tripod. Still use it to take the "Barkday" photos of Peyton.

I've never gotten the hang of phone selfies but then I get mostly blurry photos when using the phone to take photos. My hands shake when using it. I need the grip and weight of a regular camera. That's why I loved my A95, it was small enough to fit in the purse and I took selfies with it a lot! I have finally found a smaller Canon camera to replace the A95 that died about 5 years ago and it has a flip screen so it isn't hard to take selfies if I want... haven't wanted to for 2 years though except for the mask photos in 2020! That camera goes in my purse when I go anywhere.

bestcee likes this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Back in 2008 when I first started digi-scrapping, I realized that the last photo I had of just my mother and myself was when I was 10 years old... taken in 1965. Mom always took the photos so I had more recent photos of my Dad and I. Sad to say that realization was too late for me as my Mom passed away in 1996. But I made it a point from that day on to have a photo of Dad and me taken at least every 2 years so I do have one of us taken 9 months before he passed away.

rach3975 and bestcee like this.
  9. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I’m so glad you got the pix of you with your dad.

10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Selfies! Out of the 24,000 Picts on my phone, over 5,000 are selfies. Mostly my friends and I.

I have a rule though when I take those type of pictures. I make sure to take at least one of myself only. If filters are involved, I have to have one group and one selfie filter free at the minimum.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm trying to get better at taking selfies. I have to really work at it and sometimes I get a decent one.

bestcee likes this.
  12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@littlekiwi

A flexible tripod that can be bent to fit a variety of furniture/objects is probably going to be your best bet. I've found that just stretching my arm out works for me, but I do have longer arms so you might need the tripod combined with a timer to get the distance you need. I know the selfie stick was a big thing . . . but if you get one of those, consider choosing one that allows you to take the picture from the handle of the stick rather than having to set your timer. You'll have more control over combining your expressions and positions.

Like @bestcee said, take multiple photos. You can delete all the ones that you don't like, even if it's all of them for the first few sessions. Over time, you'll find the lighting, poses, expressions, etc., that make you feel like your likeness has been captured to your satisfaction. Have fun!

This reminded me of one of the MOC8 challenges - the Youer Than You challenge from last year. I'm copying and pasting those tips here for anyone reading through this thread. To see the entire challenge, here's the thread:
    January 26 - Youer Than You Photography and Journaling Combo Challenge

SELFIE TIPS:

The selfie is everywhere these days, but that doesn’t mean it’s a new idea. My husband and I were dating in the early 1990’s, and we took selfies when you turned the film camera lens toward your face and hoped you were getting something worth developing. Just for giggles and grins, here are a few of our selfies, distorted facial features and all.

[​IMG]

Nowadays, we have so many phenomenal technologies available to us, and we can actually see and approve of what the lens captures when we turn it around to take a photo of ourselves whether we’re taking photos with our current smart phone or we’re using a DSLR (or even a favorite film camera). Let’s take those advantages and use them . . . well . . . to our advantage.

1. Know your best features and position the camera to accentuate those features. This could mean you’ll be taking a photo from the side, or it could mean that you are looking down in the camera. For most people though, the best camera position will be higher than your eyes, so that you are looking slightly upwards. Pull out a selfie stick from your daughter’s room, or place your phone/camera on a higher surface and set the self-timer. Maybe your arm is long enough and you can get just the right angle. Experiment!

2. Depending on what you’re trying to achieve with your selfie, you’ll need to prepare yourself. If you want to tell a story about sleep deprivation or working long hours, then messy hair and no makeup (or worn off makeup) could be exactly the right look for your selfie. Maybe you’re wearing your pajamas because you never leave the house or you might be wearing your favorite outfit because it makes you feel like a million bucks. You might be experimenting with different makeup looks and want to see how they look with your features and lifestyle or you might be wearing no makeup all. Like I said before, we are all unique so each one of us will have differing ways of preparing ourselves for our selfie.

3. Lighting is key to a great selfie. Search for low lighting conditions, similar to those you would find during sunrise or sunset. No matter what kind of natural or artificial lighting you have, don’t look directly into the lighting source, as this could cause you to squint and bring unwanted tension into your photograph.

4. Take LOTS of selfies during your selfie session. Turn the camera this way and that. Turn yourself around. Hokey Pokey, anyone? Move from one side of the lighting source to the other and see what happens. You’re bound to find one or two in the bunch that you’ll like. Here are the ones that I took during my selfie session. Yes, I'm deleting the one with my eyes all crazy, but I wanted you to see that there are going to be photos that you are going to discard.

[​IMG]

5. Use photo apps and photo editing software to your advantage. There are some amazing apps out there, from Facetune to Perfect365, where you can edit and filter your photos right on your phone. If you’re like me and want to see the photo “on the big screen,” remember that your scrapbooking software is a powerful tool for editing photographs. Whatever method you choose, after you edit blemishes, lighting, or skin smoothing, you’ll likely want to add a filter on top of that. Filters can add unique effects and coloring to your photo and add a lot of interest.

SeattleSheri and littlekiwi like this.
  13. littlekiwi

Ooh thanks @gonewiththewind for all those tips and links. I will have a good read when I’m a bit less foggy (first full day back job hunting....feels like I’ve been attached to a screen all day). Also doesn’t help with the humidity it currently feels like it’s 33C/91F so I’m currently melting (and I don’t even live in the hottest part of the country)

gonewiththewind likes this.
  14. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

My husband has gotten better about asking if I want to be in photos. Sometimes I will just ask people to take a picture. Everyone once in a while I do some selfies with my DSLR. I do a lot of mirror photos. I take loads all at once and get like 2 I'm happy with, lol. That's the lovely thing about digital! I agree with Cheryl, the key is good lighting. It can make all the difference!

This is an example of one of my "mirror selfies" I took in November. It's pretty much SOOC. I edit a small fleck of mascara that was on my face.

[​IMG]

extase likes this.
  15. bestcee

Oh! I forgot a tip, but Cheryl made me remember:
    See if you phone has the smile feature - when you smile at the camera, it takes a photo. Yes, I always end up having to manually do a few, but the automatic ones help get more natural photos since my arms aren't as long!

16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I am horrible at selfies. I can never seem to do them right. My kids and husband always laugh at me....I look so silly trying.

My hubby is good at taking photos of me throughout the week with the kids. And if I want a group shot I hand him my phone...he's much better at selfies than me.

17. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Even though I'm with my immediate family a lot, no one but me takes pictures. If I hand someone the camera, they take a couple of bad photos and then hand the camera or phone back. (Why is *every* photo they take dark, blurry, or from a very unflattering angle because they're sitting and don't want to get up?) So I've gotten good at taking selfies. If my hair looks good one day or we're someplace with a picturesque background or it's a special occasion when I'll have photos of everyone else, I make sure I take good photos of myself, too. I read some articles about posing for better pictures, so now I can get a decent one in fewer takes. When we're out in public I quickly snap a couple and just hope for the best, but when I'm home I go outside and keep shooting until I have a few I really like. There have been times I've taken 40+ photos, but the beauty of digital is that no one but me has to know that! My phone has a feature where I can say "Shoot" and it takes the photo, so I find I can get better photos doing that than trying to push the button with my hand. I have a little tripod that hooks onto things. I like it for getting group photos that I'm in, but if it's just me in the photo I get better ones just holding my phone.

18. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

selfies.. set the 3 or 10 sec timer and that helps too :)

19. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

Selfie sticks (mine doesn't have the tripod "legs", it's just the thing to hold the telephone) also helps a lot, specially if you are in the outdoors and want to take a photo of yourself with a landscape on the background!

Actually, even if we are home we prefer to use the selfie stick, we used on xmas eve to take a photo of us (me and fiance only), sitting on the sofa and our xmas tree!
    and if you live on a dangerous country, wich I suspect it's not the case, you need to pay attention when taking photos outside, otherwise you can easily be robbed. (I live in Brazil, no further explanation needed).

20. bestcee

I showed this to my mom. I took a lazy photo, and then a good one. It totally changed her viewpoint, and she was more willing to stand up and snap a photo for me. I think a lot of people don't know the difference because it's not something they think about or really care about.

rach3975 and LynnG like this.