Photo printer

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by mrsski07, Nov 16, 2012.

1. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

Do any of you print at home using a portable photo printer? I had a Canon Selphy years ago when I paper scrapped and I loved it. It really helped me to be more productive in my scrapping. But the colors always seemed slightly "off" to me - and that was before I was editing my pictures like I do now.

So, are Selphys still good? Is there a model that stands out as being better? Or is there another brand all together that's better? My regular printer can print photos as well but I'd rather reserve that for photos larger than 4x6 and to print out digi items for my PL pages.

2. itsmeamanda

itsmeamanda New Member

I had to buy a new printer a few months ago, and I picked up the CanonPixma ix6520 from Staples for $100 with intentions of simply printing my digital stuff on it. Then one day, I was too lazy to have pictures for PL developed, so I just printed them on it, and I've been doing it that way ever since.

It's a larger format printer, but it can print 4x6s which I LOVE! The colors are great 99% of the time, and I've been really pleased with it, and I'm a super picky photo person.

So far, ink use isn't too bad, but it still is more expensive than sending them out to be developed, but the ease of it has won me over.

3. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

I have the Canon Pixma MG5320 (I think it's the version before Amanda's) and I love the quality it prints on our pictures! I have printed all of our Instagram pics and various 4x6's and love how they turn out! I also love that I can leave regular printer paper in the bottom tray and then when I want to use photo paper I use the top tray (it stands up towards the back of the printer) and just select where it prints from. Very simple. I bought mine at Office Depot with a coupon and I'm pretty sure I paid like $60 or so.

4. cutupgluedown

cutupgluedown Member

I have an Epson Picturemate Charm that I love. Love love love. It prints fairly quickly, and the colors are always spot on. It is only 4x6 - but that's what I use most anyway. I recently printed a PL layout that had a solid background for the first time. I could not believe how perfect it was. Hubby didn't believe I printed it at home!

The ink cartridge comes in a "print pack" with 150 or 100 sheets of paper which I was a little skeptical of at first. They are supposed to run out at the same time. I gotta say, it has been very close each time and I've always run out of ink with just a few sheets of paper left. I believe if you end up with a lot of paper left they will actually buy them back at .17 cents a sheet or something. Don't quote me on that!

5. mrsski07

Thanks everyone! I have a Canon Pixma as well but really want something portable too. Plus since we're traveling for half of December I'd like the ease of a portable printer for my Document Your December album.

I saw the Epson Picturemate Charm on Amazon this morning. I may have to look a bit more into that...

6. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

How about a Selphy? It's pretty portable.

7. sucali

sucali sucali

I have a Canon Selphy CP800 and really like the prints.
    But I think they are very expensive, you can have lots of prints made at a photographic laboratory when you sum up the price of the printer, paper and the cartrige...

8. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

If you but the 3 pack of paper and cartridges for the Selphy I know it comes in at under 30 cents a print (at least at Amazon's price), not as cheap as sending it out, but worth it imho for the convenience. I love that I let Laura enable me on this purchase. Makes doing all of these photo projects so much easier!

9. listgirl

listgirl listgirl

I print my photos at home with the Canon Pixma MG5320 (same model as Brandi's). The quality is awesome. I like that I can print 4x6's, OR put a bunch of Instagrams on a 8.5x11 photo sheet and print that size too. It's too big to be portable, but I love it for the quality and versatility.

10. mom2triplets04

mom2triplets04 Member

I have a canon MX420. I only print up my 4 x 6 digital pages for my project life book. I also print some times photos for my kids school projects.

11. mrsski07

Thank you everyone who said that they printed from their Pixma! I found the small sample pack of 4x6 glossy photo papers that came with my Pixma MX882 so I gave one a try and it was ah-maz-ing. So amazing that I ordered a pack of 400 for PL! So thank you, thank you, thank you for saving me the money on a new Selphy and supplies!!

12. listgirl

listgirl listgirl

I have the 400 pack of Canon glossy plus II photo paper too! Used a bunch on Project Life this year.

13. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

I've had 2 Selphy's break on me in the last year and a half...

I send my prints out to WHCC..the cost is about the same and the quality is so much better

14. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

i've had to resist the temptation to break down and buy a new printer several times. my printer works just fine really, but it's old and ugly. i would love a more streamlined pretty one. haaa!! i have an ollllld cannon pixma and it still works great. i love the convenience of it, and it's the only thing that keeps me on task at all when it comes to hybrid projects of any sort.

15. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

Here's another vote for an Epson Picturemate Charm. I've printed my PL on it all year and just LOVE that thing!