Photo ideas

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Dec 23, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

There's a specific photo I've been thinking of taking when I get my hair cut next week but I dread the thought of it at the same time as it is a pretty awful situation. I'm well overdue for a haircut and its a tangled mess currently that needs professional help and I hate looking at it or thinking about it so the thought of a photo showing the before has me shuddering.....would you take the 'before' photo or just take the 'after'. One one hand to show the transformation would be good but I'm just not sure - I'm sure I could scrap the photo but yeah I'm just not sure what to do

2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I would do the After, but then I am likely to stage my home slightly or not use photos of myself that aren't the most flattering. Your photos and layouts should spark joy at good memories remembered, I wouldn't want to have anything that I might feel regret about. I am quite sensitive to negative thoughts though, so I wouldn't set myself up for that. Totally my personal bias.
    Instead I would take delight in my new cut and the wonderful way I feel now.

3. littlekiwi

@Eyeore, that’s a great idea to focus on the new haircut. I think I was getting hung up on before/after so needing both photos

4. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

take a before, and fade itay out, just recall

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I would take the before so you have it and then you can decide later if you don’t want it to use it. If you decide later you should have taken it, it will be too late!

6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I can see both sides here but I'm leaning towards Christa's side - if you don't take it (even if you don't ever want to scrap it, faded, masked in the background or otherwise), you may regret it in the future & as far as time travel, I don't think they have quite figured out that flux capacitor thing from Back to the Future yet but it's obviously up to you.

Memaw2Wm and cfile like this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I agree, I've taken the before. And then decided to only do the after and deleted the before. Just because you take it, doesn't mean you can't throw it away.

I agree with Stefanie: if you don't like the feelings or reminder afterwards, don't scrap it. Stick to the after.

8. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

With pictures, it’s better to snap a photo and not use it than miss snapping it and wish you had it.

9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I agree with what others have said @littlekiwi ! Take the before photo just in case. It's easily deleted if it doesn't work for your vision for the page and what you want to remember.

Honestly, doing a gaussian blur on the before photo, and even using that as a place to journal about how you haven't been to the salon in a long time and why, would actually make a great before/after page!

10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I agree about getting the before picture. From personal experience, you can't go back. When I did my layout about my dental journey, I wanted to include photos from various periods of time (before extractions, no teeth/dentures I couldn't wear and implants). Even though I thought I had photos of me without my teeth or even without the dentures I couldn't wear, I didn't have any that fit what I wanted to do. Could not go back and get those photos either. I just had to make do with what I had that really didn't show the full scope.

Better to have it than wish for it later and not have it.

11. littlekiwi

Thank you all for your thoughts

12. littlekiwi

Well I finally had the hair cut, took a “before” photo of sorts with my hat on but didn’t take an after photo as I’m not that happy about the after. Let’s say the situation wasn’t worse than I imagined but they couldn’t save a lot of the matted hair so I have bald parts hence why I didn’t take any after photo. I may end up just doing a journal filled page instead and wait til my hair grows a bit more.

bestcee likes this.
  13. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

You'll always have the "before" - whether you use it or not - you can make that call. Try using a filter or play around with the fading on it. You might even find out that you can have fun with it.

14. littlekiwi

Well the before doesn’t really show the full extent of it as it’s totally covered up so not sure it’s really a true representation of the “before”, more I hate the mess it’s got into so I’m covering it up!

15. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Could you take the after photo with the same hat that you had on in the before? Again, you don't have to use it if you do take it but better to have it "just in case". I sort of like the idea of both the before and after having a hat and journaling the feelings about why there is a hat.

bestcee likes this.
  16. littlekiwi

What a great idea @HavaDrPepper cause now they really do tell two different stories. Will try and remember to take a photo later as right now I’m too exhausted.

HavaDrPepper likes this.