Photo Fix

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jan 12, 2018.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Now this is not the original sized photo or anything but can anyone suggest how to fix this photo or is it not fixable. My mum had just got a new camera while travelling so I suspect to get this gem she has hit a button and changed a setting. To be honest Im not even sure how she has managed to be totally dark yet everything else is good.

photo-help.jpg

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

What tools do you have at your disposal?

3. bestcee

Let's see...who are my photo magic Peeps?
    @bcgal00 ? Any ideas?

4. littlekiwi

just Photoshop Elements 15.

I’d love to use this photo as it’s the one photo of my mum on July 4th at the baseball game in Seattle. I’ve got plenty of others for the rest of the game that are fine.

5. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I use PSE and I think the photo is very fixable.
    I would make a new layer, fill it with 50% grey then set the blend mode to color dodge. That will lighten up everything in the photo. Then add a layer mask (hide all) and using a soft brush reveal only the areas you want lightened. You can then reduce the opacity to just where you need it.

Another way to do this is to still make the 50% grey layer, then set the blend mode to overlay. Nothing happens, but then you can use the dodge tool and set it to affect shadows which will do the same thing as above.

It may depend on the photo which way works better.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    bestcee and littlekiwi like this.
  6. littlekiwi

7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@littlekiwi Jennifer...I’m away tomorrow but I’d be happy to do a few layer adjustments on this for you if u want to email it to me at raeclevett@gmail.com and I could do it Sunday

8. littlekiwi

I'd like to give it a go myself first @bcgal00 following the instructions from Jane, that way I learn more about my program. If that fails I'll email you

bcgal00 and bestcee like this.
  9. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

@janedee Jane, those instructions look interesting and I am going to save them. But don't understand what you mean by fill layer with 50% gray. How do you do that?

10. bestcee

Layer, New Fill Layer. Then you can choose Solid Color, Gradient, or Pattern.

janedee likes this.
  11. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

WOW, I just played around using Janes's instructions and learned stuff I never knew I could do with PSE!! That's the first time in all these years I have ever used Fill Layer. I REALLY need to play around!

bcgal00, bestcee and janedee like this.
  12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@littlekiwi Here you go Jennifer :)
    I duplicated the photo, quick selected out your Mom with a mask, fixed the background to get richer in color with a gamma correction and then I lightened the masked layer of your Mom and then gave it a filter overlay of an orange-ish shade then merged it all together. Hope it is what you wanted :) This I did in PS CC.

photo-help.jpg

13. littlekiwi

@cfile wow, thank you for trying it out. Having instructions really helps me with a starting point.

bestcee and cfile like this.
  14. cfile

I also did it in PSE 15 but don't like the results as much as the masking quick select didn't work as well for me:
    photo-help (2).jpg

15. cfile

You are welcome. I will pm you the psd file for your starting point too in PSE 15 but I like the PS CC results so much better. At least you have the photo there you can right click and use that too :)

16. cfile

@littlekiwi I PMd you the dropbox link of the psd file so you can see the layers.. play around with the masking to get a better result in the PSE version so it is not as jagged around the edges of your Mom, maybe try changing the brush to a soft round one. The PS CC version I posted above is cleaner. I did not save that psd. I had merged it and saved as a jpeg here for you in the above thread https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/photo-fix.52286/#post-958014

littlekiwi likes this.