Photo Correction Question

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by shaynesgirl, Jan 10, 2015.

1. shaynesgirl

shaynesgirl All I need is a pink Corvette!

Hi All! I'm hoping someone can help with suggestions or a point to a great tutorial that will work with PSE.... I am working on an album for my niece's senior year. She and her friends take a lot of nighttime photos with their phones. The problem is that many of them come out off-color and grainy, with a low resolution.

I am at a loss how to correct. My usual tricks do not seem to be making them any more attractive for scrapping. Any suggestions? Here is an example:
    [​IMG]

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I think PS has this, under IMage to curves? try playing with the curve levels, it is kinda fun to see...and that may be a good start!
    here is a start tutorial

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  3. shaynesgirl

Thanks Anne! Off to check it out!

4. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I think your going to have a hard time correcting these. Good lighting is key. Maybe suggest they use the flash some. anytime you try adding exposure(light) to underexposed images like this you are going to add noise. I really don't know that there is a lot you can do.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  5. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Amanda is right, that light is key and there isn't much you can do. If it were me, I'd try to fix the weird, reflecting eyes and just go with it. It's not perfect, but it's better than no photo. I don't know PSE, but I know that removing an appreciable amount of that noise is going to make the picture blurry. (In PS, Filter - Noise - Reduce Noise.) Removing a little bit of noise isn't a big deal, but that's a lot.

6. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I agree with the others... you could brighten it a little...but honestly, it's a fun photo with a fun memory attached...I'd use it as it. No one would analyze the photo quality of this type of LO...and years from now, she'll only look back with and laugh and be happy to have it.

BTW...she did use the flash...that's what you see in their eyes.

7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

To scrap it... My first thought would be that you might be able to pull something off if you blend it into a colored background. One of the blend modes might change it enough and put a new spin on the picture. Then just erase the paper a bit where the action is/over the girls. I'd love to see what you end up with! It's a tough one, but a great memory!

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I would try putting it in the page, and then duplicating the player using the layer mode screen. Sometimes that lightens them enough for me without adding too much noise. Sometimes not.

9. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

10. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I pulled it into LR really quick just to play round (I'm a super newbie in there, so have no idea what I'm doing) and got this.. Not sure if it's better or just a different bad, lol..

[​IMG]

You might be able to play around with bw, too..

[​IMG]

Actually.. the noise in the bw is kind of fun.. You could put a spin on the page where the journaling is like a news article or police blotter about the mischief the girls are into or something. IDK- just an idea..

11. shaynesgirl

How in the world did I miss all this great feedback on my question? Thanks to each of you for your responses and suggestions. And Amber... as always, Love you girl! You are right... that last one with the noise really has a nice effect. So nice, in fact, I am using it on my layout today with some of your folio goodies! :) https://the-lilypad.com/gallery/data/1008/sgleason_moc2015detailed2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  12. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

Yay! It looks great Denise! And it's perfect with Folio! Well done, you! :)

13. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

It turned out great, Denise! :thumbsups