Parent's history scrapbook

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by jagruti patel, Aug 11, 2015.

1. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

Hello everyone,
    im here for some inspiration.

My sister and I are going to take our parents old photos and make a scrapbook for them. It will mainly be a history of their life, how they came to Canada, jobs they had and such. Since we don;t know much about the past. thought this was a nice way to learn more and have a nice keepsake.

I wanted ideas for simple classic layouts. I pinterested but everything i see is very vintagey (brown tones) and that's not what we really want.

any ideas!?

thanks!

2. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I did this for my dad for Father's Day a couple years ago. Mine ended up being kind of vintagey with the BH Heritage kit, but I think I stuck more with the greys and blacks. I have some photos I'll dig up for you in a bit, but my advice would be to go with classic black and white in a grid or pocket style. It will let your photos shine and the uniform page design will help create continuity over great spans of time/location that often happen when working with older photos. Then you can still get a little more contemporary with card/paper/element design if you want.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  3. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

How awesome. I've always thought that if I did this with old photos (which I have a couple of boxes of), I'd do it pocket style. Just seems to make sense to me.

4. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I have my mom and dad's books to do and have a few ancestor pics. I keep changing my mind on how I want to do it and therefore I've done nothing. Oh well.

5. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I did one for my aunt about 2 years ago, and now I am working on one for my other aunt, I did not go real vintage, because the photos started in the 50's,and the 60's - 70's were a colourful time to. So I did them as a normal page ,but with the same general LO ( large photo and if possible small photo ,or a journal card) always a tag with info of the time and occasion and small ellies that compliment the time the photo was taken.
    It worked for me, she was really pleased. Also I made it with extra space , so pages can still be added to it.
    Have fun ,it is emotional ( in a good way ) to do, and so worth it.

6. jagruti patel

thanks for the replies everyone!...the project at times seems like it will be overwhelming...

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

This sounds like an awesome project. I think it's great that you're going to stay away from the sepia/brown tones. I love to do pages about old photos, but I don't want them to look all brownish either. Here are a few I've done with old pictures, but fun colors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Personally I would pick one of the monthly kits with all the add-ons (MPM, M3, JJ) or BYOC palette. Then do a basic layout or two, or pick a template set you like. Something simple. Then I would focus on the basic layout of getting pics and stories together. You would have a whole book that way Then if you have time you can go embellish it a bit with the extras. You could also do a very basic book with room to write more -- Then as you give that one to your parents, they can tell you even more. You could rework it into a fancier scrapbook in a few years. I wish I had done that with my mom. I did a scrapbook that looked like a old scrapbook with doodles and penciled numbers with just the years (as close as I could remember). I did that for what would have been my parent's 50 anniversary. Dad isn't good at telling the stories so I'm having to try to remember as much as I can and make myself and probably one for him as well with the stories and real scrapbook layouts.

9. jagruti patel

thanks everyone! Karen, great layouts!! thanks for posting those!

10. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

That's why Amber's suggestion is so spot on. I love that you are doing this for your parents and they will love having their memories organized in one place. The photos will be the highlight for them, so keep it simple and it will be awesome! Oh, and don't forget to share with us!