Paper trimmer/cutter

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Jul 12, 2021.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Another question- My old Fiskars paper trimmer sucks and does not cut a straight line. I am in desperate need of a new one....what should I get?

2. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I use this one...It's definitely good enough but I cut a lot of watercolor paper and it dulls the blade so fast. I've been looking for an alternative.

FarrahJobling likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I've had this CARL trimmer since my paper scrapping days in the 1990's. It's still my preferred cutter, but it's (of course) discontinued and I'm limping along with the last replacement blade I have.

[​IMG]

I also have a Fiskars portable and a Cricut portable that I like as well.

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

From watching YouTube videos, I know a lot of scrappers who use the Cutterpillar Pro or the Cutterpillar Portable. It has an LED light to help ensure accurate cuts.

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My husband bought me an old time Boston cutter - like the ones the schools used to use - I SWEAR by it and wouldn't have anything else. They're a workhorse!! I've had mine for years and it just needs the guillotine arm tightened every once in awhile - the grandkids still laugh about the dire warnings I used to give them to scare them into NOT even thinking about using it!
    s-l1600.jpg

wvsandy likes this.
  6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Me me!!!

I adore my cutterpillar portable!! I really do! I had the fiskars, and still have one somewhere around. The Cutterpillar cuts through all my papers, including stickers and laminated! The LED light is one of those things you didn't know you'd love. Seriously. When I'm cutting something with lines, it's so nice to line it up perfectly with the light. Or, use the light to see how close to the edge I really am with underneath pieces.

It'll cut these slivers:
    IMG_1176.jpg

And here's the light:
    IMG_1177.jpg

The light won't shine through super thick black cardstock, but it does for almost everything else.

I often use it in the small compact (pictured below), but when I need the larger cutting measurement (the arm swings out), it's fabulous to have it.
    IMG_1186.jpg
    I kickstarted it when it was called the Cutterpillar Crop in 2014. And it's still going strong!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I have a Susis Unicut 175 that I got when I sold Creative Memories 20 years ago. It was made in Germany and is heavy. I got it when CM was discontinuing the sale of it. I'm still on my first blade but did find a replacement (not sure where it is though!). When I started going to retreats I got a lighter weight 12" Tonic trimmer to take with me.

Nice to have both of them even if I don't use them very often.

bestcee likes this.
  8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have this exact Boston cutter too. I used to have a 50 year old one when I was a kid, but my Mom wouldn't let take it with me. Hmph! :giggle I also have a Fiskars one that I also love, especially if you keep the blade sharp. And for tiny cuts I love my super old Creative Memories trimmer. It's like a mini Boston guillotine cutter and you can take the tiniest slivers of paper off with that thing!

THIS ONE is sorta like the Fiskars one I have, but mine is a lot older. And this is the Creative Memories one that I love, but it only works for small pieces. I wish they made a bigger one too!

[​IMG]

9. FarrahJobling

Does anyone have one of the scoring/cutting combos?

10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Yeah, I love mine like this. I might even have one still in a box "just in case". They sell an updated version of it now as well. And, they have a 12" trimmer that you can use different types of blades. Besides a straight blade, I see 7 others available... stamping, perforating, victorian, scallop, deckle, wave and scoring. My paper loving scrapbooking friends love this trimmer. I'm in a FB group for one consultant that posts all kinds of neat ideas using it. If I still paper scrapped I'd be tempted to buy it! The CM 12" looks a lot like the one you linked.

Karen likes this.
  11. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I inherited a few paper cutters from my in laws when they moved but they’re not very good so I’m not going to share them here haha they are definitely sloppy seconds.

bestcee and Karen like this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Nope. I mean, technically my Sizzix eClips (like a Silhouette) has a scoring blade. But, I use an actual scoring board. I have the Martha Stewart Scoring Board and Envelope Tool. I bought it for $12. It must be discontinued because it's showing like $40 now?!?!? Anyway. I like having a specific scoring board because the old Creative Memories score/cut thing I had didn't do either very well. So unlike my kitchen, I'm okay with uni-taskers in my craft room.

13. FarrahJobling

I have a Sizzix eClips2, but it doesn't have a scoring board.....but I've just been using a ruler and a tool...maybe I'll find I *need* one at some point.