Pad Patter 11/20: Tell me about your last ER/doctor visit.

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Dalis, Nov 22, 2014.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

This summer while in Michigan... Thursday night, broken toe for my daughter. Three days later on Sunday, same ER... broken wrist (2 places) for my son. It's a wonder we aren't being investigated! Clara had fractured her toe two months earlier at her dance nationals and we didn't realize it, the fracture popped open at the pool. Alex crashed downhill mountain biking. First broken bones for both.

For me... mother's day years ago for an ear infection (we were flying that week and it before there was a minute clinic on every corner).

2. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

Most recently was for my son...except I had a heck of a time finding an Urgent Care place that would take him because he's 13! I ended up sending a complaint to the California Health Board, but they pooh poohed me back. Anyway he'd done something wrong with his ankle going down some stairs at school, and was in a lot of pain, which of course, went away by the time I was able to take him to get an x-ray of his ankle.

And I had to take my daughter (18 yo) to the ER for a psych evaluation for persistent suicidal thoughts. Her doc wanted her in the hospital again two weeks ago for a few reasons, but mostly because she's impulsive and depressive. :-( At $2K a pop for an emergency room visit (even with California Care "coverage") we decided we'd take care of her at home. She much preferred to be at home anyhow. So, it's been rough. She'd gone to the ER last January for the same issues & lied about how she felt so she wouldn't have to check in.

So, yeah. Oh, my husband went to the ER last December, *just* after Christmas, after intense abdominal pain hit him that wouldn't go away. I think it turned out to be gall stones. Most of the cases at the ER that morning were mostly from a flu that was going around, a little girl with an ear infection, and some noro-virus sufferers.

And that SAME holiday season (or was it the year before?) we had to rush my daughter to the hospital (just around Thanksgiving) for an emergency appendectomy! Whew!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

we never really had to spend time in the ER. personally i only visited the ER once for myself bc in high school i dropped my curling iron on my eye. just scratched the cornea a bit.

my kids... the only time was 3 yrs ago when my son fell from a rope swing at a friend's house. horrible elbow break that landed us in 2 different hospitals that day, and late night surgery. after a total of 3 surgeries with 6 pins and 2 rods, it finally healed but he lost all movement of his hand and fingers. one of the rods damaged the nerve. but thankfully 6 months of PT to teach the nerve to move his hand/fingers again worked and we did not need another surgery. the young are so resilient thankfully.

dalis hope you are feeling better! that's very scary!

4. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Thanks everyone. - Yes, thankfully we got the answers... and the cure.

5. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Yikes! I hate having to go to the ER. Usually we go to the minor injury/illness clinic next to the ER. The last ER visit was a super bad ankle sprain and we went at 11 pm because the clinic was closed.

6. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

The last time I went to the ER was when I was pregnant and was severely dehydrated due to morning sickness. I was so weak and I think my heart rate or blood pressure were so high that the lady said to me "you need a room right now!" I had an IV put in and a few hours later went home.
    Another one was when my daughter was 1 or 2, she has an infection near her eye that they couldn't diagnose. It was useless going to the hospital but the doctor sent me there. And, she still has the dent/ scar where the infection or whatever was!

7. JuliettePerkins

JuliettePerkins I eat, sleep, breathe Apple.

OH Dalis, how horrible. How are you feeling now?

Our last trip to the Accident & Emergency Department was 17th August when my right knee locked and the paramedics couldn't sort it, so I ended up in the hospital. That's been followed by more doctors, hospitals and scans etc!