Pad Patter: 1/23 - Ever run out of gas?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Angie4b1g, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

Have you ever run the car out of gas? I have twice, but both times it was my ex husband's fault. :giggle

The first time, I dropped him at work and he was like "you have enough gas to go pick up (our roommate) and he'll put gas in the car." Of course I ran out 2 miles later, was 6 months pregnant and sitting there like ???. I called him and he was like "there's a few dollars in the glove compartment." OMG. Kill.

The second time, the gas gauge on our car wasn't working, so when we got gas, we would fill it up and reset the trip thing because we knew we could go about 300 miles on a tank. Next thing I know, it's at like 170 and the car won't go. I call him and tell him the car seems out of gas but it's not at 300 so I'm not sure what the deal is. He goes "oh, I only put in 1/2 tank last time..."

Are you starting to see why I'm not married to him anymore? :giggle

These days if I run out, it would totally be my fault. I swear I roll into the station on FUMES. It's like a fun and exciting game to see how close I can cut it. :dizzy

2. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

We don't have a car, so that would be quite a feat. :giggle

I have been stranded without bus fare, though. The worst was one time I had a bus card with a some amount of money on it (way more than I needed). The reader on the bus couldn't read it for some reason, and the bus driver punched a hole in my card so it wasn't valid at all anymore, and I'd have to get it replaced at one of the stations. It was like 11pm and even if I was near one of the stations, they wouldn't have been open. I was transferring busses, so not near anything familiar, it was pitch black out, and I'm about as intimidating as a toy poodle with a diamond collar. The bus driver had NO sympathy, even though the card reader was rejected EVERYONE'S card. I started bawling. I had no cash on me at all. Some stranger paid my fare for me.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

i did a few times ... back when i first started driving. just wasn't used to having to check the gas gage. and then once in college. i ran out about 1/4 of a mile away and i was on top of a little hill. i pretty much rolled right into the gas station with the help of gravity. and the gas station was at the bottom of the little hill. luck was on my side that day!

4. Angie4b1g

I had to push my car into the gas station, 6 months pregnant. 2 police cars drove past as this was going on. THANKS.

5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh my gosh Angie. I would kill for a photo of THAT! :giggle And yes, I can see why you aren't married to that gem anymore.

I did run out of gas once. I had an old beater car that the gas gauge didn't work, so I'd just fill up every couple of days or whatever. Well, then I borrowed my Mom's car for some reason and was not used to checking the gas gauge. I stalled out at a light across the street from a gas station though, so it wasn't too terrible. I threw on my hazard lights and ran across the road and borrowed a gas can. I was 17 at the time and the worst part was the humiliation!

6. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

Only once, but I was driving my dad's car to school one day (not sure where mine was at the time) and his fuel gauge went out just as I got to the parking lot of school. so i parked illegally and left a note on it and then we had to have it towed to a service station. took them awhile to figure out what was wrong with it too! haha!

7. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

oh yep...[​IMG]
    see my state, not a lot of towns, I was an hour away fromone...ran out, and cried and cried
    a trucker pulled over, drove me to town and back to my car...
    then told all the truckers on my journey to keep an eye on me..
    for YEARS (as long as I had my little YELLOW car)
    I had truckers wave at me and ask how I was doing! lol

8. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Am I really that rotten? I can't remember. I'm s

Angie, that reminds me of my SIL so much. She has that thing on her car that says how many miles she has until she runs out, and the other day she proudly posted a pic, while parked at the pump, as the gauge read "0 miles" left in tank or whatever. Her husband loooooves that. :D

I have only run out once, and it was Eric's fault. I was driving Eric and a buddy the day after a long, late night of partying, in his mom's nice new Tahoe. He insisted we had enough gas to get to town and he was incorrect. I was on the interstate and that was no fun at all. Luckily we were only about 5 miles from town and he called a buddy to come bring us a gas can. We were all hungover, including the friend he called to get out of bed and bring us gas.

9. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

i was driving my Jeep, when my son was about 13 months old, and the car just died. The gauge said I had 1/3 of a tank, so I didn't know what had happened. My husband was out to sea (active duty Navy), so a friend's husband came and got me and the kiddo, and we had the car towed to the garage. Turns out that the sensor in the tank was broken, so they had to take the gas tank out/off of the jeep and replace the sensor.

10. Jen

Jen I believe in patterns & conspiracies!

Nope fortunately. I'm kind of paranoid about it. Now I drive a hybrid and if I run out of gas it's an expensive repair vs. just filling up. I have pushed it to nearly out though.

11. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Nope. Fortunately, my car counts down for me, and previous cars have also, so I've been lucky. When it gets to the "LOW" I start freaking, lol! My luck would bring out some of the weirdos or something!

12. Dutch_Diva

Dutch_Diva The 80's called? Awesome!

That's a great story Anne! Especially since truckers have a bad rep but there are so many good people among them!
    And no I have never ran out of gas or diesel ever just because it freaks me out to even go under a quarter of a tank - that is when I go fill up! But I have to add I drive and drove a lot at night time and I don't feel like getting stuck on the wrong side of town - anywhere!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  13. Angie4b1g

In my minivan, once the 'low fuel' light came on, I could still putz around town for a couple days before I got to that fun 0 DTE mark. But my Rav4 only has a 12 gallon tank, so when that low fuel light comes on, I need to find a gas station. I haven't run it out, but it's been scary! lol

14. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Never ran out of gas but my gas line froze my 1st winter in Canada, on my way to my first date with my husband. On about our third date he found out not only didn't I have snow tires, but I had no spare either. He married me anyway...

15. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

My thoughts exactly!

Knock on wood, I haven't run out of gas while on the road. I instantly thought of this Chevy I used to have. There would be gas in the tank. But, if it was parked at an angle the car would think it was out of gas. Hello? I go to school in San Francisco, land of the crooked streets! I remember my husband & I rocking the car until it was more even to get the car to start. I still miss that car though. It was a good solid car.

16. brennatay

brennatay Member

Oh, for sure. Once when I first started driving. I had NO idea what was happening and was sure my car would never start again. The next time was once my gas gauge on my car started acting up. It wasn't even on "E" yet and I was at the stop light turning into the gas station and I RUN OUT OF GAS. I was by myself and had to call my husband and father-in-law to come help me push the car out of the street, but it turned out okay. The most recent time was my husband's fault since he was driving, ha. My gauge is still messed up so it always tells me it's empty and he didn't know to watch my trip meter for how many miles I had driven on that tank, so I suppose it's probably my fault. ;)

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

We ran out of gas once (many, many years ago) and I can still remember sitting in the car with the locks pushed down and feeling nervous about being alone in the car on the side of the road by myself late at night (hubs walked to the nearest station about a mile down the road). That was enough for me. Ever since then I will not let the gauge drop below 1/4 tank. My hubs like to tease me when he drives, pointing out how low the gauge is and saying he'll stop for gas eventually....no rush.....agh....then I keep staring at it and if it drops down to 1/8 I start to really complain that we need to stop, so he laughs at me....but eventually does stop for gas :)

18. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

I haven't run out of gas since I was a teenager but now when my gas light goes off, I'm sure to get gas right away!

19. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

This was exactly how I drove my 1966 VW Beetle for years, only we had to write the mileage with a grease pencil on the windshield. I have run out of gas several times but now in the last 2 years.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  20. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I have once. My senior year of high school. Luckily we lived in a small town at the time so I just knocked on someone's door and asked to use their phone. (The fact that I did not have a cell phone may date me a bit) I called my Dad and he came and met me with a gas can and a very long lecture about how I need to pay attention and I cannot do this next year when I am away at school and yada, yada. It hasn't happened since. :)