packing it up| pad patter 5.7.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, May 7, 2019.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

We're getting ready for a trip to Disneyland and we have all types of packers at our house. Last minute packers, light packers, over packers, just in case packers and I don't know what to pack packers.

This is my oldest DD. She's an over packer and a just in case packer.
    [​IMG]

This was my Dad growing up and to be honest he still does this. He didn't worry so much about his clothes, but planned for every emergency situation he could think of. Car emergencies, food, bedding, etc.
    [​IMG]

This is my son. He always packs light.
    [​IMG]

When my kids were young we never knew what they were going to pack so we had to go through their bags and check to make sure they had the essentials and not just a bunch of toys, coloring books and electronics.
    [​IMG]

My hubby is a pro packer. He swears by rolling his clothes to save space and have less wrinkles. He can fit a week's worth of clothes and his laptop in a small carry-on and pack it all up in under 10 minutes.
    [​IMG]

And last, this is me going through my closet trying on clothes and not liking anything. I have no idea what I'm going to pack! I'm a takes forever to pack packer, a I don't know what to pack packer, an over packer, a just in case packer and a last minute packer. I had everything laid out on my bed yesterday and still don't know what I'll take. I'm heading back in there in a bit to try on more clothes and make some decisions. It takes me forever to pack. I sit the suitcase out and put things in and then take them out. Then I put them back in and add more things and then I take some things out. It's comical really and continues right up until the moment we walk out the door. I'm just too indecisive. It's drives my hubby crazy. lol
    [​IMG]

What kind of packer are you?

2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

An organised packer. I have lists worked out and check everything off. I give each person their list they are responsible for and check they've ticked everything off. It's absolutely essential for all the medical supplies that I over pack. i'm supposed to take twice what we would normally need and everything needed for every possible emergency; then double it if in the UK and within 1 hour of a hospital, otherwise tripple it. Our medical luggage for 2 is nearly the same in quantity as 1 week's worth of luggage for 5.

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I used to plan, plan plan. Now, I bring a bag of washing tabs, and a roll of quarters! We pack light and do laundry one night at hotel, pure lovely! Kids swim, I read a book and the machine cleans. I also, will take a few hours for shopping just mom, and pick up a new sun dress or shirts for boys!

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. keepscrappin

WOW! That's a lot of work! I don't think I'd ever travel if I had to do that. I always tell my hubby I need a vacation from my vacation when we get home because of all the work it entails to pack and unpack and put it all away. You're a trooper.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  5. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I am usually a pretty light packer. I just throw some stuff in and call it done knowing that we usually have a washer and dryer and outlet malls nearby where we vacation. My husband is the crazy packer in our crew. He brings stuff “just in case.” I make fun of him all the time because he has his own suitcase (large I might add) that he packs to the brim and I can pack myself and our 3 youngest in a meduim size suitcase.
    I am however in panic mode right now about packing. Our oldest graduates high school next Monday and for her big celebration of turning 18, finishing up high school, starting college, etc.... she and I, along with my mother, will be flying to Hawaii in a couple weeks. I have not flown since I was about 10 and I turn 40 this year so you can see that was several years ago :giggle. I feel like since all the rules at the airports have changed and such, I am at a loss for what and how to pack. I’m gonna have to make a list and check it twice.

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. keepscrappin

oh yeah, we've done that before! The kids always loved swimming when they were little and one of us would watch the kids swim and the other would do the laundry. Let's face it kids are messy and you just can't pack enough to keep up with their messes.

I love your idea of a mom's only shopping trip. I'll have to do that this time.

7. keepscrappin

We did a family Hawaii trip when my son graduated and before he left on his mission. My biggest tip is to NOT pack beach towels. Buy them in Hawaii. It saves space in your suitcase and serves as a souvenir. Find the nearest ABC store or Target and buy a beach bag and towels. We also bought boogie boards and sand toys in Hawaii at the discount stores and just left them in Hawaii. It was cheaper than renting for the whole week and we always had them with us when we were driving the island and found a beach to stop at. Never leave anything valuable locked in your rental car in Hawaii. Thieves in Hawaii watch you lock things in your trunk and then they break in and steal it when you're outta sight.

As far as the airport goes, put all your liquids in a checked bag. If you're not checking a bag, buy your liquid toiletries in Hawaii. That way you have one less thing to worry about when going through security. Arrive extra early so you aren't stressing getting through security. Sometimes the lines backup during rush hours and it can be stressful if you aren't used to it. I'm lucky my hubby travels a lot and has TSA precheck so sometimes we can get precheck and go through with him. If the rest of us don't get precheck, we put the things that normally have to be taken out in his bag so they go through no problem.

8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I also make lists and start a few days ahead making sure everything is washed and ready, medicines all packed, then supplements and toiletries. I prefer to be left alone for an hour or so to get my stuff done, also neatly rolled and thought through.
    Hubby and sons pack in 10 minutes but to be honest that's because I did all the other prep work.
    Hubby gets and collates all the papers we might need, he keeps the travel stuff.
    It works for us!

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I am the absolute worst over packer and then I still don't get it right ... meanwhile my hubby packs in 2 minutes and always has the right things!

p.s. @keepscrappin I tried to leave you some return love in your gallery, but your profile is all locked up. I thought I would mention it just in case you didn't intend to have your gallery turned off to members :)

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. keepscrappin

Good point on doing all the laundry and prep. I'm the one who does that so maybe I'm not as bad as I thought. I'm doing all the laundry today. Thank goodness my hubby handles all the paperwork too. He usually books the flights and hotels. I did buy the Disney tickets though, so I'd better make sure I have those printed out and packed.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  11. keepscrappin

Thanks for the heads up. I just changed things back, can you please try it again for me? TIA

12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm getting more and more to be a light packer. I also roll my clothes. It takes up less space and things don't get very wrinkled. My hubby traveled all over the world for business his whole working career, so I consider him an expert packer. He lives by the rule "as long as you have any prescription medications + an extra pair of prescription glasses, you're good to go. You can buy anything else if you forget it.

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm a light packer. Two weeks ago I flew cross country to spend 4 days at my parents' house. I fit what I need into a backpack that fit under the seat, satisfying my economy ticket requirement that allowed no overhead storage. :) And I loved not having a bag to check, zooming through the airport without waiting at the baggage claim, and keeping things simple. :tu

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. keepscrappin

I agree we aren't out in the jungle so we can buy most anything we would need.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  15. keepscrappin

What airline did you fly on that didn't allow an overhead bag? I've never heard of that one. The things the airlines are doing these days.

16. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

It was United. Some kind of economy pricing. And it was a full flight, so even some people who were allowed overhead bin storage were asked not to use it if possible.

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

About a week or two before the trip I do a packing that I call my initial packing. I throw whatever in my suitcase and basically just think what could I need? Then a day or two before I take everything out and think to myself, do I need this and take it out or keep it. This works for me.

keepscrappin likes this.
  18. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I'm a last-minute, just-in-case, over-packer. And, I pack for myself and my son. My daughter packs for herself but I always go thru a mental list with her to make sure she has everything she needs. My husband is a light packer and it usually scares me that he won't have enough to wear.

keepscrappin likes this.
  19. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I was like "WHAT??" They have beach towels at the liquor stores in Hawaii? Because in NC, you can only buy hard liquor at the state run stores and they are called ABC Stores.

keepscrappin likes this.
  20. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

The last time I flew, it was to Settle for our Alaskan cruise. We each took a carry-on. Due to full flights, the airlines asked people to volunteer to have carry-ons checked, so we did for free. We did have to go to baggage claim to pick them up at the end of the flights.

I pack for my husband and I. I tend to really think about what we will do and only take clothes for that. Most of the time we come out about right. If we are going to a timeshare, I will take laundry soap and wash anything mid-week. The kids pack on their own. I just tell them the number of days to pack for and if they need anything "dressy". I can pack in about 15 minutes, assuming I have already washed anything I might need. DD takes a lot longer, makes lists, and yes, she packs her little first aid kit every time (Girl Scout training).

The biggest oops for me is personal hygiene things like face cleanser, etc. -- things I often use right before I leave. I did get smart and we have mostly fully stocked personal bags ready to go - no more forgotten toothbrushes.

keepscrappin likes this.