Out of Bounds Framing in PS

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by cfile, Feb 19, 2019.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Photoshop: How to do Out Of Bounds Framing
    By Christa (CFile)

Accompanying Video found here:
    PS Video

Today we are going to use some masks, and create an out of bounds frame effect technique for your scrapbook layouts. (This is an intermediate tutorial and assumes that you know how to open a file and select your photos, papers and elements.)

What you will need: A mask of your choice from any of your kits, a photo of interest, some staples, a frame of choice, (or you can make your own), a background paper, and any other supplies or elements to finish your page. Use whatever fonts you wish to add a title, journaling and/or date. (I will be using Lynn Grieveson's free newsletter subscriber kit Richmond, for my page.)

I am using Photoshop CC but this can be done with any photo software program. [PSE would follow similar steps.]

Okay, let’s get started!

1. Start with a blank workspace, the size you are used to working with. Most people use 12” X 12” (or 3600 X 3600 pixels with a 300dpi.) My page is 600 X 600 pixels with a 72dpi (save for web size) with a white background for this example.
    2. Use the white as your background layer or choose a paper to your liking.

(Note: I use the File >Place Embedded to open up files to place in my workspace. There are many ways to bring the files into your workspace. Drop/Drag etc., so please use which way works best for you.)

3. Locate the photo you would like to use and bring it into your workspace, in the layer over the background layer. The photo I will be using is a photo I took while I was at the Williamsburg Winery. It is of an outdoor hanging light that has a great silhouette edge of trees and in the distance, a beautiful view of the grape vines.

IMG_6132 copy.jpg

4. Place your photo on the background where you want it. I have placed mine in the center and to the right on the paper:
    oobf1.JPG

5. Choose a mask from your stash that you wish to work with. (It can also be a paint transfer which is what I will be using. We want to be able to “Clip our photo” to this mask/paint transfer.

oobf2.JPG

6. Place the mask/paint transfer layer under the photo. (In the layer panel, select the mask/paint transfer layer and drag underneath the photo layer.)

oobf3.JPG

7. Clip the photo to the mask/paint transfer. You can do this several different ways: - right click with your mouse on the photo layer. From the menu, choose “Create Clipping Mask”. OR: - Go up to Layer>Create Clipping Mask from the drop down menu. OR: use the shortcut by selecting the photo layer and hold down the ALT+CTRL+G (on PC) / OPT+CMD+G (on MAC) OR: 1 more method: Choose the mask paint transfer in the layer panel and move the cursor to where it is between the photo and the mask/paint transfer. Holding down ALT (PC) or OPT (MAC) until you see a little square with the down arrow… left click with the mouse to set it in place. Your photo should now be clipped to the mask/transfer paint layer, taking on that shape.

oobf4.JPG

I am going to duplicate my transfer and rotate it as I really want to encompass more of the photo, with some soft edging. You can also use the transform tool (Edit>Transform>Scale or shortcut Key: Shift+Ctrl/Cmd+T) to resize your mask/paint transfer to make larger or smaller. Either way is fine so that you are reflecting the amount of the photo you wish to see.

Here is how I am using the transform tool to scale the mask/paint transfer to make it longer and wider… select the mask/paint transfer layer by using the keyboard shortcut: Cntrl or Cmd+T. Thisbrings up the transform tool, or you can go to the top tool bar and choose Edit>Transform>Scale and adjust a bit by using the little boxes on the sides.. Push in to shorten, pull out to widen... adjust as you wish.

oobf5.JPG

I also used a soft round brush to paint in where I wanted more surface of the photo to show, and then used the eraser tool with the soft round brush on the edges to remove the photo edges. (Before I could paint, I had to rasterize the paint transfer layer.)

8. Add a New Layer. Once you have clipped your photo and fixed the mask/painted transfer to the desired surface area, you are now ready to make the frame. We want to add a new layer above the photo layer. Select the photo layer in the layer panel, and click on the “Add New Layer” icon (to the left of the trash can) at the bottom of the layer panel.

oobf6.JPG

9. Making the photo edge frame: On the new layer, using the rectangle Marquee tool, draw a rectangle over the portion of your photo that you want to frame, and fill with white using the paint bucket tool.

oobf7.JPG

10. Ctrl/Cmd D to deselect the marching ants (or go to Select>Deselect on the top tool bar.

11. Using the rectangle marquee tool, inside the white square, draw another rectangle, with only a small edge between them. Once it reflects a photo edge the size you want, change to the mover tool and hit the delete button to remove the inside of the rectangle.

oobf8.JPG

12. Ctrl/Cmd D to deselect the marching ants (or go to Select>Deselect on the top tool bar.

13. We are going to add a drop shadow and an outer glow. Choose a favorite style from your style effects or create your own.

My page is 600 x 600 pixels @ 72dpi so my shadow is much lower than yours may be if your canvas workspace is larger. Again shadows are to taste.

Here are the settings I used:

oobf9.jpg

[Hex code for the outer glow and linear burn on the drop shadow is 1b0202]

jenn mccabe likes this.
  2. cfile

Here is the shadow now on the photo edge: oobf10.JPG

So far, so good!

Now we are going to add a mask to the photo edge layer. We will be masking out the right edge of the frame so it will appear that the masked photo is coming out of the frame for the “Out of Bound” look.

(Remember when adding a layer mask – white reveals and black conceals. We want to add a white layer mask as we will paint out what we want to get rid of.)

14. Select the photo edge layer in the layer palette.

At the bottom of the layer palette is a button icon of a rectangle with a circle (link, FX, then the rectangle with circle). That is the mask effect. Click on that and it will add a mask (reflected as a white square) to the photo edge layer.

oobf10.JPG

The white on the mask is indicating it is revealing/showing what is on the layer. If we paint anywhere in the white space of the mask with black, we will be hiding what is there. We want to hide a small part of the right side of the frame.

15. Use a soft round brush, set the foreground color to black. Make sure your mask is selected (white box around mask- what I have marked around) Paint a little on the right side of the photo edge to hide it, so it will appear that the photo is out of bounds.

oobf12.JPG

16. Now you are done with the hard work. All that is left to do is adding various elements, a title, journaling and a date to finish off your page.

On my page, in addition to adding elements, I have also added a lens flare to the light to make it look lit to go with my journaling.

Here again is the completed page:

[​IMG]

PSE is done with the same steps which I will post seperately. I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial.

Until next time!

Attached Files:

3. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

thank you soooo much! just loved to watch this video and hear your voice, @cfile !

cfile likes this.
  4. cfile

Thank you so much Ferdy!! :bk

Ferdy likes this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Thanks Christa!

cfile likes this.
  6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

It's awesome to hear your voice Christa! I love that you are making videos to share your PS skills with all of us! This came out so good! :)

cfile likes this.
  7. cfile

Thanks Jenn.. Big Hugs :)

jenn mccabe likes this.
  8. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

9. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

Kissed the frog!

10. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

OOOOOOOO! Love it! I used a premade photo edge...I"ll have to try your technique!

cfile likes this.
  11. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

OMG.... MIND BLOWN. I just realized how much more work I used to do and why I don't do them anymore or just use Nicole's. LOL!!!! Thanks to @Pachimac for replying to this thread and to @cfile for making that video.

cfile likes this.
  12. cfile

Have fun!
    You are so welcome my dear Dalis :) Have fun..

For PSE people there is also a PSE version to this https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/out-of-bounds-framing-in-pse.61593/