Oscars tonite, anyone see any of the best picture nominations?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, Feb 9, 2020.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I think this year's nominations were a little bit more main stream than last years. There are quite a few that I wanted to see. Hubby and I tried to watch Once Upon a Time, but he just couldn't get into it, and he turned it off. I will have to go and finish it. From what I saw of it I liked it. I also saw the Irishman which I really liked. I kow lots of people said it was long and drawn out, but I didn't think so. I really am looking forward to seeing Jojo Rabbit when it comes out on dvd. We were also supposed to go see FOrd vs Ferrari but never made it to the theater because of my crazy work schedule. The Joker just creeps me out and I will need to be in the right frame of mind to watch it. Also looking forward to Little Woman and 1917. Here are the nominations. Anyone else see any of them? Do you have a favorite to win?
    Ford v Ferrari
    The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Little Women
    Marriage Story
    Once upon a Time...in Hollywood
    Parasite

I am hoping that Kitbull wins for best animated short. I love it but it makes me cry like crazy regardless of how many times I have seen it already. Google Kitbull if you want to see it. Short synopsis: it's about a stray kitten and an abused pitbull and how they come to know each other. It's really heartwarming.

2. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I've seen Little Women (which I really enjoyed) and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I thought that one was fairly good - I was 14 years old in the summer of 1969 so I remember it quite well. I was getting into the soundtrack until they played Neil Diamond's Hot August Night. Someone must have thought it was perfect for the section of the film taking place in August '69 but that song didn't come until '72. That's the sort of thing that takes me right out of the movie magic. The movie did have an ending straight out of the Quentin Tarantino playbook.

My husband and I usually do Best Picture movie marathons sponsored by our local movie theater but I wasn't willing to spend the money this year to do them with the two Netflix movies not in the lineup and zero desire to watch Joker.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Ford vs Ferrari was excellent.. Irishman terrible (some liked it but I don’t like deniro. ) I won’t see Joker as I don’t care for creepy movies but I would like to see 1917 and little women.. I heard 1917 was excellent. Hope it wins!! I just want Renee Zellwinger to win Best Actress for Judy.. she was superb! I will find out results tomorrow.. I don’t watch them. I hope Tom Hanks wins best supporting actor and Brad Pitt wins too!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I loved Little Women. I thought that Once Upon a time in Hollywood was very well done. I knew the story, didn't live then, but it felt like what I imagine the 60's were like.
    My husband loved JoJo Rabbit. And he says Joker shouldn't be there. It is not worthy of a best picture at all.

cfile and weaselwatchr like this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I haven't seen any of them, even though DS has been begging me to take him to see 1917 for weeks. He is a huge history buff, but we just haven't had the time. I'd really like to see all of them, but gotta have a little free time first. I guess I'll get them from the Redbox at some point.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My husband and son went to see 1917 today, but I haven't seen any of the other ones. I haven't been in the mood for movies lately, I prefer watching shows that I can binge watch a few episodes at a time instead. And even then I have a hard time finding time for TV these days.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I think I saw 3 movies in the theater in 2019: The Lion King, Spiderman, and another superhero one whose title I forget. I had a ticket to see Mary Poppins but ended up having an interview scheduled that day, so I watched it months later at home.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I haven't seen any of these, but that's not surprising as I'm usually quite behind on watching most movies!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  9. weaselwatchr

I think I enjoyed the Irishman because I know a ton about mob history and living in Detroit hearing about Hoffa constantly probably helped to pique my interest in it.

Hubby really wanted to go see Ford vs Ferrari but we just never had time to see it at the show.

cfile likes this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I don't even know what movies have been nominated. We haven't been to the theater for years - if we feel like watching a movie, we watch it on one of our channels, or Amazon Prime or Netflix. Usually, after the Oscars, we see a winner or runner-up that looks good, so we'll watch it at home.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

We saw the Irishman. Really good. Not a fan of violence, but the story line was strong. And Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, Harvey Keitel... classic!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  12. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

This past year went way to fast, I didn't watch any of those!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  13. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Watching Oscar nominated movies is something my husband and I do with our son. He's away at college now, but we still have a shared spread sheet to keep track of what we've seen and talk about them during our weekly calls. This year was a tough one, we didn't get many watched at ALL.

Ford v Ferrari - didn't see it
    The Irishman - wanted to see it, but never remembered to start it early enough in the evening
    Jojo Rabbit - really want to see this but at this point will wait until its out to rent
    Joker - no desire to see this
    Little Women - want to see this one, but will wait
    Marriage Story - saw this one... really good, but hard to watch as it seemed very real
    1917 - on our list
    Once upon a Time...in Hollywood - saw this on 70mm film... loved it and want to see it again
    Parasite - watched this last night.... really, really good, but the basis of the story is one that makes me uncomfortable

We were trying to work ahead this year and watch movies on the short list before nominations were out... we guessed the wrong ones though. We saw Knives Out and The Two Popes. Enjoyed them both, but very different from each other.

We were going to go to the theater yesterday to see all of the nominated documentary shorts, but the run time was 158 minutes and we couldn't get it fit into the schedule.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  14. weaselwatchr

Knives Out has been on our list. We seem to just wait until they come out on video, since the turnaround from big screen to DVD seems so little these days

15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We watched half of The Two Popes tonight. I know it wasn't up for Best Movie, but the two popes (one was Sir Anthony Hopkins) were both nominated for best actor and best supporting actor. It's very good and a true story, which we like.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  16. weaselwatchr

Aww Kittbull didn't win :(

17. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I hear ya re the Mob hearing about stuff growing up in NY (on Long Island, but NY just the same)... I like Joe Pesci and while I enjoyed pieces of it, the aging of the characters really was a bit off. It was very very long and from what I heard it was not true either. I was looking for it to have Irish in it.. LOL ... Here we have Ford Vs Ferrari now on On Demand ? Pay Per View... Mr Rogers Neighborhood is on there now too along with Harriet, so I hope they all come on to the movie channels soon for me to catch .. I liked Ford so I would watch it again :)

weaselwatchr likes this.
  18. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Ford versus Ferrari was a phenomenal movie!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  19. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I stayed up till late yesterday to watch the ceremony, and I'm not sure if I like that Parasite won everything...I liked the film a lot, but I think 1917 or Irishman deserved too...

still need to see Little Women, Ford vs Ferrari, a marriage story.

and Judy, I'm curious to see Renee's character, also want to see the Bombshell.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  20. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

I've seen The Joker and it's NOT a super hero/DC comics traditional kinda movie. Actually it's one of the best movies I've seen in a long time and that Oscar to Joaquin Phoenix is so well deserved!

weaselwatchr likes this.