Organizing software

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jan 9, 2019.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@rach3975 on another thread of mine suggested maybe my way of organizing isn't conducive to TLP/MOC challenges so my question to you is - what software or similar could I use to sort both by item/subject and designer/store/MOC appropriate?

Currently I just use windows folders and I have PSE 15 - not 100% keen on using organizer I don't think but its been years since I've used it and my ACDSee license is on another dead and buried computer

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Okay, I checked the other thread to see what you mean. You stated "I don't organize by designer or store - either its been organized into type of item or subject."

So, a program that would work for you would let you physically sort products into types? Or just search for products by type? Or tag products by type?

When you scrap, how do you look for products? Color? Type?
    *I need something red.
    *I need a button.
    *I need something circular to go there.

I have found that how you scrap and look for stuff really dictates the type of organizing program that will work better for you.

3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

4. littlekiwi

Generally I either chose my template or scraplift first. Then I look at theme followed by what it is (paint, stitching etc). I do tend to start with the bones from one kit if it hasn’t already been split up. For MOC I am starting with my complete kits or mostly complete kits before I delve into what’s been “organized”

For this layout it did start with a specific kit (with a template which I discarded in the end),then started looking for further themed bits around life, lists, dreams. At this point had tried lots of papers but it just wasn’t flowing until I found the notebook patterned paper which then had me looking for tape, frames , post it notes & doodled arrows. I then found the veneer person then finally choosing a font

[​IMG]

5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Do you prefer to start with the bones for a kit? So, having the kits all together and then being able to search for any additional pieces you want?

6. littlekiwi

@bestcee it does make it easier thats for sure. I mainly started doing by theme/type as I was doing PL but that didn't last so maybe being more kit/store orientated first would be best

7. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I keep my files like this:

Scrap kits —-> store name —> Designer Name —> kit name —> Inside the kit I keep them separated by papers, elements, journal cards, and TOUs.

I don’t use a file organizer. When I open up Photoshop, I use the program Bridge through it, which gives me a visual on every item in the folder.