organizing photos...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by theAndrea, Jun 11, 2014.

1. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

eeks, so our server went down months ago and hubby hasn't fixed it yet, so I'm going through each of the hard drives (there are 4) and copying photos to my EHD. what a task that is! and I've got to organize them too... very time consuming :(

suggestions? I'm not using any software, only the good old fashioned 'folder method' lol.

2. toriloowho

toriloowho Yep… I'm an over thinker.

I organize mine in folders. I have a year folder, then a month, and then individual days. In the individual day folder I have a folder for raw files and then any images I export from LR as jpgs get put in the individual day folder.

Example: 2014->06 June->06-11->06-11 raw

Oh, and I also have a folder within each monthly folder for phone photos. But I don't divide those up into daily folders, they all get dumped into the monthly one. I hope all that makes sense.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  3. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

i have always done mine by YEAR with a folder for each MONTH labeled like this: 01 Jan, 02 Feb >>> this keeps them in chronological order.
    Last year I just dumped all my photos by month and moved on.

This year I have done things a little differently. YEAR > week. So I will have 52 folders in my 2014 photo folder. So far it's working pretty well. The benefits are (1) there are fewer pics in each folder, which makes the previews load faster and makes it easier to visually scan for a photo I'm looking for, and (2) they're already grouped for me for my PL spreads.

I name each photo by date. So I will select all the photos taken on April 2nd and name it: 2014 04 02. The computer automatically assigns (#) after the name structure to keep them in the order they were taken. Pretty simple method.

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Currently, mine are all in a folder by year. No months, and no days. While it was easier and quicker loading to have them divided up, I hated looking through multiple days, or months if i wanted a photo and didn't open PSE organizer or if a vacation crossed over two months.

5. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

I love this idea, I think I'll do that :) How do you count the weeks tho... by 7s? so 1-7 is week 1, 8-14 is week 2, etc?

6. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

I did them in the same way I set up my Project Life. I do my PL from Mon-Sun. So I did from the start of the year to the 1st Sunday as week 1. Then Mon-Sun for week 2, etc.

looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  7. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

awesome! as I organize my photos, I'm going to put them into weeks. and prolly tag them too lol

8. Roboliver

Roboliver I feel right at home at the Glitter Gulch!

Mine are just in folders too. Usually named my date & a short version of what they are so I don't have to look through with only dates.