Oregon anyone?????

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Amson, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

My partner desperately wants to visit Oregon in April / May this year for landscape photography and to catch up with friends. I will seriously need some convincing to spend 20 plus hours in sardine class on a plane to go all this way for a couple of weeks. I am happy to let him go on his own but thought someone here may be able to convince me it would be worth travelling all this way from Australia.. Ideas anyone??

2. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

We travelled all the way from Tassie to Melbourne, to LA, to Orlando, WITH our 5 year old in 2014. It wasn't fun to travel exactly, but spending the time over there was SO SO worth it.
    We went over to the US to be part of hubby's best friend's wedding, and they showed us around Florida and DISNEY! And it was a lot of fun just being in such a different world. We are fairly similar to the US, but still SO different. Take Disney out of the equation (wait, what? NO!) and I would still go back. Now with two munchkins...

Amson likes this.
  3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

just to see the toilet flush the opposite way is worth it to me..but I'm easy
    the coast in Oregon to me is one of the most gorgeous views you can see, no matter the time.
    I think @heathert is up in that neck of the woods and is a spectacular photographer. She may have some ideas and thoughts
    I do know I have been in the Portland area, and between landscape and their town motto "keep Portland weird" you will have things to photograph that may amaze and astound you.
    either way, hope America is kind to you, and you love it as much as I do!

cfile, Amson and Chippi like this.
  4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Are you able to extend your trip to see other areas? Maybe there is one that you would like to visit and see? I would jump at the chance to head to Australia! :)

cfile, Amson and Chippi like this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've always wanted to visit Oregon. Well, technically, I have. My family visited Crater Lake when I was 4 but I have absolutely no recollection of it. I have seen the one family photo of us there though.

Anyway, I grew up in San Diego and then lived in L.A. for 5 years, visited northern CA a few times and Seattle once in my early adulthood, but I have yet to see Oregon personally. I've been living in Virginia for the last 17 years. I hope to make it to Oregon someday.

Happy travels!

Amson likes this.
  6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Hey Amson! my thought is that you all have tremendous landscapes in your country and the PNW climate could probably be replicated by a trip to Japan...but catching up with friends? ah that's an important one. Maybe this is a trip he takes by himself??

Amson likes this.
  7. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I LURVE Oregon!! It is so beautiful there!! You will get some amazing shots, trust me, it'll be worth it!!!!

Amson likes this.
  8. heathert

heathert Well-Known Member

I invite you to peruse my gallery, or my FB page--it is really spectacular out here on the coast. But--we have more! Volcanoes in the middle, and high country desert to the east. Oregon is really pretty spectacular if you're into Nature. Portland is a top-class city, with an emphasis on beards, woolen caps, and dark glasses--plus a ton of awesome mini-breweries (above and beyond great art, high tech minds, and funky artists).

Flickr album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskwBQNLm

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Amson, cfile and AnneofAlamo like this.
  9. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

Thanks everyone for your comments and especially @heathert for those wonderful photos. I'll decide in the next couple of weeks after I see a surgeon for my ankle. My sprained ankle from May last year was actually a fracture I found out last week after MRI and CT scan. I am hoping that physio alone, and not surgery, will fix it. We have a trip planned to Russian Far East in August and I need to be able to bush walk well by then. I'll continue thinking about Oregon and let you know. If I decide to go, I'll be asking for places to visit.

heathert likes this.
  10. suzyqscraps

suzyqscraps How now brown cow

I love Oregon! We're going back this summer. Not all the way from Australia ... but I think the Oregon coast is gorgeous, and I'd travel far to see it. One of my favorite places. Australia's on my bucket list too though ...

Amson likes this.
  11. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I only visited Portland once - and it was many years ago. But it was gorgeous! I loved the city as much as I loved traveling along the coast. I think as a photographer it would be a pretty amaizng place to visit - but I hear you on the long plane rides. Ugh not fun. I can barely handle 6 hours! Good luck with your surgery.

Amson likes this.
  12. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

We love travelling down the coast from Washington to Northern California. There are so many beautiful spots to visit along the way. A few years ago, on one of our trips there, it took us a whole day to travel 12 miles, just because there were so many things to see, short walks, great food and little shops. Be prepared for cool weather though and plenty of rain!

Amson likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I would jump at the chance if I could - especially their Autumn (although that's not April May obviously) but obviously you have to do right by your ankle and Dr ;)

Amson likes this.