Online Back up

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Aug 7, 2018.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I use Backblaze and its been saying it has about 40 odd days til the full back up is done for a while now. I downloaded a weeks worth of TLP purchases today and suddenly its saying 242 days. I haven't changed any settings cause I don't want to screw up the backup but I am seriously worried now. Any suggestions on what to change or look for?

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I don't use backblaze, but I'd be willing to bet that after it actually starts backing up your new downloads, that extreme time estimate will go down. I know when I copy a huge chunk of files to a new location it always over-estimates at first.

bestcee and littlekiwi like this.
  3. littlekiwi

I think you might be on to something....it’s now down to 72 days which I can handle far more than 242. Just a bit paranoid when I see three figure days after what happened last year when my laptop got stolen where not everything was on Backblaze cause it was still doing its initial back up.

Tree City and Karen like this.
  4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I use backblaze- when I did the initial download- I had the settings so it ran constantly. Now that I've done that- it only runs at night. Maybe check to see what your settings are? 72 days is still a LONG time! ;)

littlekiwi likes this.
  5. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Check your settings--back when I had Backblaze, I seem to remember that I had to tell it how much of the system's resources the program could use. If you have that set very low, it could account for the long backup times. I also kept my laptop on and plugged in overnight for a couple of weeks during my initial backup so it would finish faster. It's possible your issue is because of the upload speed available through your internet provider, and unfortunately that's a lot harder to work around. :(

littlekiwi likes this.
  6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

It is, but depending on the internet speed, it might not be.
    At my house, if I go into the Performance right now, it'll backup 29 GB/Day. I've seen that higher, and lower depending on where I'm at. My initial backup was on a much slower internet speed, and I believe it topped off at 10 GB/day?

Open the Backblaze Control Panel. Click Settings. Check the Performance tab. I let mine be Auto, but you can choose manual, and tell it to do faster backups and see if that makes a difference. Also, when I did my initial backup, I told it to only do photos. I excluded all the other folders until my photos were done. Because that was what was most important to me. And I second the leave it running overnight if you can.

littlekiwi likes this.
  7. littlekiwi

I have set it for max already. Internet speeds are a lot slower here even though I’m on unlimited data.According to Backblaze I’m uploading about 9GB a day. It was just such a shock to see the number of days jump by about 200 with just adding only a few kits and templates.

It's down to 69 days so its going down but its still a long process it seems. If only I could figure out how to upload just a few of my folders that I really want backed up I might get ahead. All I can seem to find is a place to exclude folders rather than include them.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    bestcee likes this.
  8. bestcee

So, my initial backup was easy-going all my photos were on an external drive. I told it to only backup the external.
    However, in setting someone else up, what I did was stay as high on the folder hierarchy as possible. And exclude that. It didn't take too long to do it that way because her photo folder was on the desktop.
    Does that make sense? I can show you if it's unclear.

9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Jennifer, have you set up exclusions? I have a big list of file types I excluded and it really helped hurry it along.

10. littlekiwi

No I haven’t, only cause I’m not sure of all the file types I want to exclude.

What I want to back up in no particular order - photos, digi supplies, PS presets - styles, actions etc, fonts and documents

11. Tree City

Your "To Backup" list is very similar to my list. :) What I did was Google different file extensions I didn't recognize as I saw them in the "Files Scheduled for Backup" list (under Settings). There were some I decided not to exclude, but many that I did. Here's my list:
    wab~,vmc,vhd,vdi,vo1,vo2,vsv,vud,iso,dmg,sparseimage,sys,cab,exe,msi,dll,dl_,wim,ost,o,qtch,log,ithmb,vmdk,vmem,vmsd,vmsn,vmss,vmx,vmxf,menudata,appicon,appinfo,pva,pvs,pvi,pvm,fdd,hds,drk,mem,nvram,hdd,swm,ppkg,lua,dat,xml,db,sdb,jfm,kdz,enc,json,mbdb,xpe,srd,rbs,js,slc,irs,dmp,igpi,jcp,bak,etl,tmp,sth

Some of these may be from BB's automatic list that you can't edit, but most of them were added by me. Perhaps that gives you an idea of what you could exclude? Don't just copy and paste my list though lol cuz perhaps there's a file type in there that you do want backed up. I also excluded a few folders, including appdata, music, and Microsoft. I figured I could back up my music if I wanted, but I don't need it: it's all in the cloud via iTunes or Amazon anyway. The thing is, BB chooses in what order to back stuff up. Since we, the users, can't pick and choose, I wanted to eliminate as much extraneous stuff as I could.

littlekiwi likes this.
  12. littlekiwi

Thanks @Tree City, that gives me a good starting point

Tree City likes this.
  13. littlekiwi

this is getting really annoying now, its up to 343 days and I've added nothing new.

14. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Sorry, I don't use blackblaze. I just wanted to send you XOXO because I just noticed you are back!!!! btw. love your siggy!

15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I don't have much to suggest beyond what's already been stated above, other than making sure that your computer doesn't go into sleep mode because Backblaze can't back up during that mode.

You are an international customer, so reading this article and then following the instructions about their new multi-thread feature may help you with the slow upload. From what I quickly read, if you are a large distance away from their data center (in California), the hops between your location and the data center can cause slowdown.

Backblaze: I'm an international customer, what does that mean for me?

Hope this helps!

littlekiwi likes this.
  16. littlekiwi

thank you all for your suggestions, something I fiddled with last night (doing file exclusions per @Tree City, manual throttle per @bestcee and more threads per @gonewiththewind) must have worked cause when I went to bed last night I had 202 days to go and now its 198 so a reduction of 5 days in about 10 hours is progress in my book

17. bestcee

So, depending on your file structure, it could change what your computer looks like. But, for example, on mine, once I drop down to the drive (E: on mine) I can see a lot of folders that would be easy to exclude for my initial backup.
    I would leave the Scrap Stuff, My Photos, My Documents, and Fonts but exclude the ACDSEE, Adobe, etc. Then go back and add those once my important files were done.
    I still have some of the Microsoft folders excluded. :-)
    upload_2018-8-10_16-41-21.png

18. littlekiwi

well I am down to 19 days, going to leave it while I'm out today and see what everything looks like when I get home because if it stays down around this length I'll be happy

19. Tree City

202 to 198 to 19 is AWESOME. Crossing my fingers it stays low!

littlekiwi likes this.
  20. littlekiwi

still going down....5 hours and its down to 18