one in a melon | pad patter 6.18.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Jun 18, 2019.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Watermelon is one of my favorite parts of summer, but picking a sweet, ripe watermelon can be tricky. Sometimes I feel like the odds are stacked against me and I have a one in a million chance of picking a good one, but I was lucky this past weekend. I picked a sweet one at Sam's Club and that got me wondering what luck you have when picking watermelons.

I've heard lots of old farmer's tricks like hollow thump sound, bee stings and heaviness. Some tips have worked and some have not, but when it's all said and done nothing beats a cold, juicy, sweet watermelon on a warm summer day.

Here's some info I found online on how to pick a sweet watermelon.
    http://www.thissoutherngirlcan.com/gardening/how-to-pick-a-sweet-watermelon
    [​IMG]

So how about you? Do you have good luck picking watermelons? Do you have any tips on how to pick a good watermelon? Do you buy watermelon at the store, grow your own or get it at a farmer's market?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Great advice. I have always used the thump method.

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

A strong contrast between the white and the green and a thump.
    Your info is interesting- the holes...not sure I would be able to find them but it makes good sense!
    I could eat mostly watermelon all summer! This year we even had it in February. :D

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Love these tricks to picking the perfect melon. I always leave it to DH - he's a country boy at heart.

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Although I thought the convenience of seedless watermelons would be nice, since they started coming that way, it's the only kind I can find, and they are ALL tasteless! We can't really grow them in Western Washington, so must depend on imports. The closest suppliers are Eastern Washington. I'm sure they must grow some of the old fashioned BIG seed-in melons, but the stores around me only sell what I call designer watermelons...small, ROUND, seedless. blehhhhh. Why bother?

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Yep! We have a good friend who lives in Moses Lake, so anytime he comes to visit us in Spokane in the Summer I always request a watermelon- he knows where to get the best ones! ;)

I'm terrible at picking out melons, but thankfully, I don't have to too often- since our friend brings us good watermelons in the summer!

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I think I have purchased maybe one or two watermelons in my life, and that was 20+ years ago. I don't like watermelon :giggle
    When DS wants some, I usually just by him some that's already sliced or chunked :)

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Never too old to learn a new trick - thanks Kayla.
    I always thumped the ,elon - turns out I was doing that incorrectly and all.

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Thanks for the hints! I remember avoiding watermelon if they had brown patches on the underside. Now I'll know better. :-)

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I rarely buy a whole watermelon because it's so messy to cut up and then we usually waste about half of it. I love that my store sells it already cut up. :agree When I do buy them I remember seeing a graphic on Pinterest or somewhere about all the things to look for, but I can never remember them at the actual store :giggle so I'm more of a grab one and pray it's good kinda gal. :giggle

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Good tips. I've always done the thumping method, but last year I had read about the yellowness of the underside so I do that too!

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

The creamy yellow underside along with webbing and brown spots are the best indicators, at least as far as my mother's instruction goes . . .

I love nothing better than a sweet and super cold watermelon!

BevG and keepscrappin like this.
  13. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Hard pass on watermelon, thanks.

14. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I check for webbings and brown spots. I want some mini ones, my family doesn't like watermelons so it's all for me.

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

This is awesome!! I have a watermelon cut up in the fridge right now!

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I asked my mom how she always chose such good watermelons. She said she bought ones that were already cut in half at the grocery store. I about died because I thought she had "the touch"!!

My friend says her daughter is a "watermelon whisperer" and can pick out the best watermelon 100% of the time, but she can't say how she does it.

Me? I just buy from Trader Joe's. They somehow always have sweet non-mushy melons.

keepscrappin likes this.