One down but boy it was stressful!

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2019' started by littlekiwi, Jan 8, 2019.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I prefer bridges made of concrete

Took me about 4 hours to do one layout and I know why - all the bits and pieces I was adding either were by TLP designers but not in the shop or from outside TLP. Using the visual history section doesn't totally work because I didn't quite manage to get everything back from after my laptop was stolen. Does anyone have any other ideas how I can manage it so MOC is fun and not so stressful? I did start with probably 1-2 kits for probably 50ish % then I started over analysing it cause I'd used so many different styles and I'd changed from using a template to not using a template which reduced my TLP quota a bit (basically I changed it so much it didn't look anything like the template at all)

2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I have a tagging system for all my kits. I have a special tag for MOC friendly. So during MOC I add that tag to my searches.

3. Pachimac

Pachimac Shhhh! You're disturbing the books

I am not sure how to help. The visual history worked perfectly for me.

4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@littlekiwi what I can suggest Jennifer, is to choose a kit of yours you might want to use. BEFORE using it, go to the store and in the search key put in the name .. [That is what I am doing when I verify for my challenge to make sure current product is being used, if the product is not listed with a link in the credits of the page.] This way before you start your page you already know it is current and in the store.

You have a lot of JJ Storyteller to my knowledge from past conversations... as long as they are in the store, use a lot of that :) Hugs and I hope this helps you Jennifer.

I look forward to seeing your challenge pages :)

Tree City likes this.
  5. littlekiwi

I am trying to stick with things that I’ve only purchased in the last year or so to be safe since i’m more of a mixer and matcher but I’m just not 100% on whether the layout I spent 4 hours on today will actually pass. I actually started with a kit that is in the store but I have itemised most things in my description

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  6. bestcee

bestcee Lorelei and Rory are my neighbors

@gonewiththewind the wind would suggest a live crop where your assistant looks up each kit in the store as you scrap. :lmao

In reality, ways that I have done it in the past:
    * Copied the kit preview to a MOC folder. Once I looked up a kit once, I added the preview to my MOC Safe folder. I didn't have to relook it up after that.
    * Looked up as I go. This is kind of a pain. I keep an internet window open and double check as I find what I want in my stash.
    * Only used kits that I recently downloaded/bought.

Tree City, gonewiththewind and cfile like this.
  7. bestcee

As far as being worried about "passing". If you follow the directions, it's rare to fail. Also, remember the TLP staff wants you to succeed! If we write you to ask you to fix something it's out of love. Think of it as a friend telling you there's toilet paper on your shoe before a job interview. They aren't being mean, they want you to look and do your best! We want everyone who tries to succeed. It's an awesome prize at the end, so there are a few rules. But, by checking as we go along, you have as many chances as needed to succeed! And if you even have a question about a challenge, feel free to ask the host! We choose to host out of love for MOC and what it means.

MOC isn't about the rules. It's about the chance to challenge yourself. Stretch as a scrapper. Try something new. Make a new friend. Learn a new technique. Document something you wouldn't normally document. It's a celebration of this hobby we enjoy together. There are rules to keep it from being total chaos, but that's not the heart of MOC.

8. littlekiwi

@bestcee - I’ve followed the rules but if anything the % might trip me up.

bestcee likes this.
  9. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I am having a bit of trouble with this too, just because I've been on a scrapping hiatus for over a year, so all my stuff is oldish! I started out looking up everything that I went to use, but I found that at least half of my TLP stuff is retired now. So, then I opened my TLP folder and searched by designer to see all their stuff. I typed in "lbw" in the windows explorer search box and up popped all Little Butterfly stuff. Then, I opened the store and just typed in every kit name for that designer and jotted down on a notebook which were "safe." I repeated with all the designers. Then I created a "current tlp" folder and put all the safe stuff in that. It took me several hours, but now I'm good to go. Oh, and since it has been over a year for me, I decided to treat myself to a couple new things from the shop so I'd have something fun too :)

10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

This method works quite well! Bwahahahahaha!

Honestly, I often have a web page up with the TLP store open so I can quickly search to make sure I'm certain the items are current. Wouldn't it be fabulous to have an Alexa/Google Assistant look up kits for you?

cinna, lmccandless and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  11. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt What do you call a three-humped camel?

I don't know how you organize. But usually when a designer retires I change their folder to xretired-designername and keep it in the last store they were in.
    With kits, I am starting to do the same for TLP, just because I know for MOC the kit has to be in the store.
    I also go check the shop first before I use a kit I'm not sure of

cfile and littlekiwi like this.
  12. littlekiwi

I don't organize by designer or store - either its been organized into type of item or subject or it is yet to be sorted and still in the folders as they were packed by the designer but unzipped of course

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  13. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I start my page with a kit or 2 that I know is in the store. I scrap the challenge from those "safe" kits and save/post. If I'm happy with my layout, I stop there. If I'm not, I go back and finish it with whichever additional things I want to use, no longer worried if they're in the store currently.

I think a lot of your problem comes down to your organization style not being a good fit for TLP challenges. If any of your broken up kits are still downloadable in your order history, it might be worth downloading again and keeping together as a kit at least until MOC ends.

LoveItScrapIt and cfile like this.
  14. littlekiwi

The broken up stuff is older so for the most part I'm scrapping from stuff from the past year or so. I may need to after MOC is done redo my organizing or figure out a way of being able to organize both store and challenge appropriate in with how I generally scrap which is by type/subject

just had a quick look - only 10% of my stash is "organized" - I have over 100GB just sitting there in the original folders so it may just be too much stuff and I don't know what I have and what of that is in the store

LoveItScrapIt and rach3975 like this.
  15. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

An Excel spreadsheet with a row for the product's hyperlink. I try to remember store links in my SS but sometimes I forget. (The purpose is for tags, so I can search for a specific type of kit or to see if I own it already lol, but I still like having the link).
    Having said that, and before someone yells "stop talking about spreadsheets!" to me... as others have said, I think your best bet is to search the store as you go. The visual history is great but you know the name of the product you want to use so it'll be easy. Heck, sometimes the item pops up as I'm typing so I don't even have to finish the search.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    gonewiththewind likes this.
  16. bestcee

So, I should hire myself out?
    :lmao

17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

[​IMG]

NancyP, EHStudios, bellbird and 3 others like this.
  18. bestcee

19. cinna

cinna I once had the worst boss ever ...

I always keep a main store folder and within that I create folders for each designer. I also create a separate folder for the current month that I use for recent purchases (which is nice for when you do the BYOC challenge as an example).
    I tend to use as much as possible from ONE kit to simplify my work flow.
    As for MOC (and other challenges too btw) I always make a store search to make sure the kit isn’t retired. Believe me - it’s worth every single second to have done that!!!!

20. Firstoscartgrouch

Firstoscartgrouch Well-Known Member

I think you and I talked about this last year when I was in tears not knowing how to know what I could use and couldn’t.

I have the excell spreadsheet with the hyperlinks. Then between Christmas and new years I went through to see if they worked or not. The ones that didn’t work were moved to a different folder. The rest I know I’m safe to use. I copy the hyperlinks for the gallery credits simplifying stuff even more.

I even found three kits I’d somehow never extracted after I had bought and downloaded. Heartsong and the two I feels. Glad to have found them.

bestcee and Tree City like this.