OMG... Data Limits and the Curse of an Online Life

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by scrapsandsass, Mar 2, 2017.

1. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

So... are any of you hitting data limits with your internet service provider?

Early on in February, we apparently hit the limit with our data on our home internet. I'm not really sure how this occurred, other than thinking that the idrive backup caused it, but we were basically out of data and couldn't download or do anything. It is freaking ridiculous. There are no cushions, and basically not much in the way of a warning, so we were hit with a huge overage, even though it was the first month we'd exceeded our data. We didn't realize that back in November, Comcast put limits on the data we could use per household in this market. So unbeknownst to us, we went over and then were severely hampered and couldn't get online in February. It is completely insane. And I can only imagine how much worse it will get if they repeal net neutrality, which is a very real thing these days. Also, Comcast made this big push to tell people to watch Netflix through Comcast, but that hits your data even though it is going through the Comcast box. Ugh.

What is more frustrating is that generally speaking, in past months, we haven't even gotten close to the limit. Like if the limit is 1000 GB, we've only used around 200 GB, but there is no rollover allowance. Now I feel totally paranoid and like I can't do anything, which is frustrating because I'm going to school online and have to download/upload a lot of documents.

I ended up buying a home "cloud" so I can back up my own data so hopefully that won't be as much of an issue, but I also can't be sure that it won't.

Do any of you have this issue? How do you handle it?

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

We have Fios for Internet, TV & Land line phone combined. We don't have a data limit on home internet.

scrapsandsass likes this.
  3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

First company I have ever heard of that limits home internet use via cable lines or dsl lines. Do you have any other choices for service in your area?

Google Fiber has already come to our greater urban area and will be in our neighborhood maybe this year yet. Spectrum (formally Time Warner Cable) and AT&T are already tearing up our yards trying to get their lines upgraded so they can compete.

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We do have a usage allowance with Mediacom. The package we have is 2000 GB monthly. We did have an issue when we were at 1000, because occasionally we would go over. Another perk of moving up to the 2000 mark was that our speeds increased as well. We get 200 Mbps Download/20 Mbps Upload.

Here's our usage so far this billing cycle:

2/15 - 3/14 = 394.9 GB

And previous cycles:

1/15 - 2/14 = 945.3 GB

12/15 - 1/14 = 1062.5 GB

11/15 - 12/14 = 706.2 GB

If it's an option, I'd definitely look at other ISPs for a better deal than that . . . our TV/movie watching is all internet based, plus my business, my CT obligations, as well as gaming for my hubby and son. I would be so upset if I couldn't even get on! Oh yes, also check with them about upgrading to the next level of service. Sometimes, it's only a few dollars more!

5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oh, they should most definitely warn you when you're close! Ugh, I'd be so annoyed!
    UVerse in Houston had a cap but we never hit it. I also know that they'd warn you (email or text or both).
    Where we are now, we have FiOS and there's no limit. I say this while my Backblaze is happily uploading a bajillion GB (ok, not a bajillion, but I've ULed, like, 2 or 3 TB in the past few weeks). And of course I DL a bunch and I watch Netflix/Amazon instant. If we had a cap, I'd be sad. Having said that, DH has gone over on our 250MB phone data limit. He forgets to turn off mobile/turn on wi fi. I use like 5 or 10 MB a month lol, but he just forgets. Anyway, as soon as we can, I hope we can get unlimited data or at least a bigger data plan for our phones, esp. cuz I worry that soon AT&T will set a cap. I feel like it's coming. :(

LoveItScrapIt and scrapsandsass like this.
  6. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

:giggle Okay, are you ready for this.......... in my own little part of downunder (as we are 'out in the sticks') we have to use satellite internet as we can't get anything else....... our current, limited plan is.......... wait for it..........

skymesh.JPG

yep! :giggle we get a whole 40Gb for the month and when we reach that limit they lower our speed which even makes it hard to upload a layout to the gallery sometimes! (and of course the bonus data of 55Gb is only available between 1.00 - 6.00am!!!!!!! pffffft!! On the old satellite, just before Christmas we were on 37Gb and were paying $20 more! So I guess it has improved a bit! Actually for this month we were given an extra 10Gb as an apology from the provider for all the stuff-ups during the transition over to the new satellite so I have been downloading stuff everywhere!!! :) I am hoping that the internet down at our new property will be better than this one!!!!!!!

bestcee likes this.
  7. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

i check my comcast usage, shows 2 gig in 2 days. what is counted toward that?
    we don't stream. i have only downloaded 365 meg

8. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

WOAH!!!! That's insane!!!! I had no idea there were internet providers that had plans with limits...in fact, I just logged into our account and I can't find anything that even tells me how much data we use.

Are you locked into a two year contract???

MrsPeel likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yep. Cox had a limit, we just don't end up anywhere near it.
    Are you sure it's not a problem on their end? Like if you are normally around 200 GB, it's weird that you jumped so high! I know I backed up a ton with backblaze recently because I switched from one computer to another, and it only took like 1% of our usage?.

I'd also check to see what devices are logged on. Perhaps someone is stealing your internet?

cfile likes this.
  10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Our provider did this awhile back and it was so frustrating. We went over every single month and paid I think it was $10 for every 50GB we went over which came out to about $40 extra a month average. That's when I ditched the cable tv (because everyone was watching Netflix anyway), kept the internet, and went with a plan that had unlimited data.

RebeccaH likes this.
  11. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

We must not have a limit. My hubby keeps track of all that stuff and since he works at home & I work at home I'm sure we would have went over our limit if we had one.

But that would be seriously annoying.

Sokee likes this.
  12. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I wondered this too. Like, if my water usage jumped from 200 gallons per month to using 1000/month, I'd assume something was wrong... but I'm a pessimist lol. (And a cloud backup takes a lot of data.) And shouldn't the Internet co. warn a person, esp if they have such a huge jump in usage? It seems unfair to let you go over without any warning.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    RebeccaH likes this.
  13. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

We happily cancelled Comcast right after data caps started and switched to Century Link. We blew through the entire allotment in two weeks and, besides... I hate Comcast. After we cancelled cable almost a year ago our bill (with only internet) was back up to almost $200/mo and that was before the cap.

BTW - I LOVE Century Link. I can upload an entire collection in about 2 minutes, our service is never down (ugh. Comcast is terrible with outages), our bill is the same EVERY SINGLE MONTH, no data cap, customer service that is actually helpful....

Oh - also we now have a dedicated line. Comcast was sharing bandwidth. O_O

14. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

Holy *&^$ Wanna move in with me in Portland, Oregon and play with my internet? :)

RebeccaH and wombat146 like this.
  15. wombat146

lol! :giggle Thanks Allison, I am taking the next flight out!!!!!!!! :heartlub:happyhug

16. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

My Mum (she lives in NSW) had a very similar plan to this until just recently. It was terrible, we all had to make sure our computers and phone never connected to the internet unless it was really important, and she always capped it, every month, poor thing (though hers only slowed right down, it didn'tcharge extra)

As for me, hubby and I are computer gamers, so when we look for houses to rent the priority is
    1. Good internet
    2. Good kitchen
    3. Enough bedrooms
    Lol!!
    But we live in town, and the NBN (Australia's new fandangled internet) has just rolled out in our area and we love it! It isn't quite US standards of speed, but it is amazing for us. And we never use all of our data allowance, which is 1000gig or 1500gig.
    So jealous of our US froends though, they always win tue race to download the new games, lol!

bestcee and wombat146 like this.
  17. wombat146

@Chippi Yeah, my sons in town have great internet and I often go and use theirs when I want to download big stuff like TV shows and/or movies! lol! :giggle We don't get charged extra when we go over our limit but the speed really slooooooooows down!! We are on the NBN satellite subsidised plan which is why we were moved over to a new satellite late last year. I am about 30kms north west of Grafton NSW, where is your Mum located?

Chippi likes this.
  18. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Haha my mum would do the same when we lived up there near them. Just come and check all her emails and download her scrapbooking freebies, and watch YouTube. She is in Taree.

enjoyyourpix and wombat146 like this.
  19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh geez! That is really annoying! We have Comcast too, but I have no idea if we have limits or not? Apparently if we do, we've never hit them. I don't understand why they do limits anyway, other than to make more money. It's not like it costs them any more to provide an open cable right? Maybe I'm wrong on that. I've always said the same thing for cell phone data limits, it's just a way for them to milk more money out of us.

Ona... you limits would make me twitchy! I sure hope it's better at your new place!

meterr likes this.
  20. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

OMGosh! I had NO idea there are internet limits! We're on FiOS now, but before that we've never had any limits either.

Like others have said, if you have an option, you should change. That is ridiculous that it totally cuts off once you hit your limit. My son has to get on the internet to get to all of his textbooks, and it would be bad if he couldn't do his school work.