Olympics fast five | Pad Patter 23 July

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jul 23, 2021.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Whether you support the idea of the games going ahead this year or not, it's sure to be a different & memorable Olympics & it's inspired a quick fast-five topic for today:

1. Did you know... that the Olympic rings represent the continents that the athletes come from?
    [​IMG]
    2. Did you see any (or all) of the Opening Ceremony for the Tokyo Games? If so, what did you think?

3. Do you have a fave sport/event you look forward to watching in the Olympics?

4. What country or countries do you generally cheer for in international events? Is there any rivalry in your household if you have family members from different backgrounds?

5. Have you ever had the opportunity and been to an Olympic sporting event/s in person?

I'll pop my answers in the next post

2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

1. Did you know... that the Olympic rings represent the continents that the athletes come from?
    I may have but I don't remember, I was literally surprised to see thatimage when i went looking for an Olympic flag image for this post!

2. Did you see any (or all) of the Opening Ceremony for the Tokyo Games? If so, what did you think?
    Not yet, I'm sure I'll catch some snippets or repeats this weekend in between local covid related press conferences, it will be interesting to see stadium seats all empty & how that effects the performance and athletes/flag bearers entry

ETA: watching replay of the opening ceremony now & my birds are loving the Japanese anthem & whistling along like crazy. Missed half the countries entering in Japanese alphabetical order but the drones making the globe & wreath shape was cool & I liked the pictograms section

Diving and gymnastics, equestrian among the lesser known things, the more artistic things generally rather than the short speed based events

4. What country or countries do you generally cheer for in international events? Is there any rivalry in your household if you have family members from different backgrounds?
    It used to be Australia and Italy when I was a kid, if there's no one Aussie, our default is New Zealand or whoever is geographically closer or the underdog (think Jamaica in a bobsled race in the Winter Olympics!)

5. Have you ever had the opportunity and been to an Olympic sporting event/s in person?
    My dad and brother went to Greco-Roman wrestling and table tennis I think at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 but my mum, sister and I went to a few heats of something else but I can't remember what!

ETA: my sister says we saw synchro diving, this is why I take photos of everything now, so I remember!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm not sure I ever knew that.
    I watched part of it this morning. I love seeing the faces of the athletes and their excitement, even through masks. And I also love when they show family members watching.
    I love gymnastics, diving, and the track & filed events. I can't pass a up a good men's beach volleyball game as well :giggle
    We're all Team USA here :) But I love seeing all the sheer talent from around the world!
    No, I haven't, but I would love to!!

Side note... my ex-husband went to high school with Mary Lou Retton (1984 Olympic gymnast). His claim to fame is that he once sat on a bed with her at a party lol.

jk703 and bellbird like this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

1. Did you know... that the Olympic rings represent the continents that the athletes come from? Yes, I had read that a few years ago

2. Did you see any (or all) of the Opening Ceremony for the Tokyo Games? If so, what did you think? Nope, not interested at all.

3. Do you have a fave sport/event you look forward to watching in the Olympics? Nope, won't be watching.

4. What country or countries do you generally cheer for in international events? Is there any rivalry in your household if you have family members from different backgrounds? Back in the old days (60's/70's/80's) I did root for USA and did watch the Olympics because there was no internet and not a lot of choice of TV channels to watch in the evening. Probably my most favorite Olympic memory was the "Miracle on Ice" in the 1980 Olympics and I'm not even a fan of hockey! Next to that Mark Spitz winning all his gold medals in 1972 was a highlight. I had the poster of him in his speedo with the medals around his neck in my dorm room at college. I've just become disenchanted with them these last few decades.

5. Have you ever had the opportunity and been to an Olympic sporting event/s in person? Nope, no desire to.

bellbird likes this.
  5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Lol! That is an awesome side note & claim to fame story!!

6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

It does have a lot of competition now, I did wonder if they added skateboarding & some newer sports as a draw card to younger audiences!

7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I did not know that but it makes sense and it's good to know!

I forgot it was even on. My hubby watched it and said it was very nice. He was impressed.

Probably gymnastics would be my favorite if I ever watched them.

USA of course.

No, I haven't.

bellbird likes this.
  8. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

1. Did you know... that the Olympic rings represent the continents that the athletes come from? I did know that. Also, the colors represent the colors used in each countries flags.

2. Did you see any (or all) of the Opening Ceremony for the Tokyo Games? If so, what did you think? Yes. I liked the drones and lighting of the torch, but I thought the rest of it was pretty boring.

3. Do you have a fave sport/event you look forward to watching in the Olympics? We like gymnastics and swimming. My husband coached swimming or 21 years and both of our daughters were competitive swimmers.

4. What country or countries do you generally cheer for in international events? Is there any rivalry in your household if you have family members from different backgrounds? USA of course. No rivalry.

5. Have you ever had the opportunity and been to an Olympic sporting event/s in person? In 1976, my family and my cousins were in Niagara Falls, Canada and our parents decided to drive to Montreal to see the Olympics there. But when my dad and my uncle saw the prices, we turned around and went back to Niagara Falls. We did shop and I got a T-shirt and a pin.

bellbird likes this.
  9. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

I have such mixed feelings about the Olympics. I LOVE the idea of finding the best amateur athletes around the world and having them compete fairly to find the best for each sport. However, the International Olympic Committee seems to have been corrupted and more interested in money and power than the fair competition idea behind the Olympics.
    I despise the way the US Gymnastics orginazation has been found to have treated the athletes, from pushing dangerous diets and working out with injuries to the horrid sexual abuse that had been denied and covered up.

I also am frustrated with the reporting and the way most of the announcers talk over things as they are happening. I am hoping that Tony Hawk will be better at explaining judging for the new skateboarding events, and I do look forward to seeing those.

I love watching the track and field events, swimming, diving and gymnastics, but will probably wait and watch some replays on YouTube instead of giving views and money to NBC/Peacock.

In 1996, when the Atlanta Olympics were held, my family lived near Birmingham, Alabama, and got to attend a couple of the early round soccer games and they happened to be driving thru the North GA mountains and see some of the kyacking on the white water course along the Ocoee River. I, however, spent that summer in Italy, so didn't get to see any of the events in person.

LivyBug, bestcee and bellbird like this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

You are not alone in these feelings. I'm also tired of people thinking that athletes should still be able to compete even though they broke a rule that is in place.

bellbird likes this.
  11. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Did you know... that the Olympic rings represent the continents that the athletes come from?
    Yes and I like the rings with the continents, nice graphic.

I did not watch the opening ceremony but saw some pretty pictures this morning of various scenes. It looked quite lovely.

I like the gymnastics but the balance beam makes me nervous. One little wobble or bad landing and the gymnast can be out of the competition - a life of training out the door.

I’m for team USA except for the men’s 1500 where we are rooting for a runner from the UK, Scottish runner Josh Kerr, a friend who trains in Seattle. My husband only watches track and field and basketball where I like gymnastics and swimming.

I was so close to going to the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada. We had tickets to see a curling match, a sport I had never seen played. I arrived at my daughter’s house the morning we were to drive from Seattle to Vancouver only to find her searching for her passport. She finally found it but it had expired so I just ended up driving back home, completely bummed.

12. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I had heard that somewhere but not sure where or when

No, didn't catch it and to be honest while I have interest in the olympics....its not enough to warrant watching for hours on end

Not really

Considering I have a vested interest in two countries, I have to support both equally! New Zealand first and foremost but if New Zealand isn't there then Canada

No but it would be cool even just to be in a city when they are on I would think (without a pandemic of course if at all possible) just to soak up the atmosphere

13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

1. Did you know... that the Olympic rings represent the continents that the athletes come from? I think I learned that somewhere along the line, but don't remember where or how. LOL

2. Did you see any (or all) of the Opening Ceremony for the Tokyo Games? If so, what did you think? I only saw a snippet on YouTube, but I thought it was cool.

3. Do you have a fave sport/event you look forward to watching in the Olympics? I love all the aquatics, archery, softball, gymnastics, track and field (hammer throw, sprints, hurdles, high jump, etc.)

4. What country or countries do you generally cheer for in international events? Is there any rivalry in your household if you have family members from different backgrounds? I usually cheer for the US because I do live here after all, but I will cheer for any country if the US isn't participating or is out of the rounds.

5. Have you ever had the opportunity and been to an Olympic sporting event/s in person? No, I haven't. I'm not a huge crowd person, so I don't know that I would actually enjoy it.

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

fairness and monetisation is really an issue across all sports and industries is a major sticking point. it has been good to see some female surfers, golfers and tennis players from memory making the differences in gender prize structure more widely known
    i can only imagine that this is a universal issue and it has been raised here about swimming recently too. The full body unitards the german gymnasts just wore looked great and i hope that positively influences other countries choice of team outfit in the future
    me too - i know it's their job and often they have a retired athlete 'expert' on at the same time but even still, it can be the most annoying part of watching anything!

KayTeaPea likes this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

cool fact!
    wow! that must represent a lot of early morning starts in your past -participants at this level really should get some kind of extra plaque or something for both the parents and coach that says ' thanks for your role and effort in supporting this successful athlete'

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

yes, unfortunately penalties don't seem much of a deterrent in reality

17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yes. Did you also know that every nation's flag has at least one color on the Olympic Flag? (Ignoring shades and tones, just color.) (This might be a little out of date since I learned it shortly after U.S.S.R split, and before some of the other countries split).

Yes. Sharon (mil) and Matthew watched almost the whole thing. I watched the parade of countries. I loved watching them walk in and seeing the cool order from the Japanese alphabet. How fun to have U go first! I hate the US-centric interrupt to show athletes on the bus, and skip showing the last 5 or so countries including Japan!! to show the athletes walk in.

It depends. This year we enjoyed watching the men's skateboarding, and we've watched some indoor volleyball. We watched mixed archery, pretty much any sport that's being broadcast on it's own this year has been fun so far! I'm not a big gymnastics watcher (comes back to US-centric broadcasts :angry).

We cheer for US and Canada. If neither of them are in, we default to Australia and the underdog.

No, hmph my stinkin' dad took everyone else in the family but me to hockey at SLC 2002. (not that I'm bitter....:giggle) Nick and I did go up and walk around the area and see all the venues and other Olympic stuff set up including the cauldron. Sharon did massage therapy on the Paralympic athletes in SLC 2002.

bellbird likes this.
  18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Question for y'all: Is another other countries broadcast as country-centric as the US? Like in Gymnastics, it's rare to see any of the gymnasts except the U.S. team, and a few shots of whoever is in 1st, 2nd, 3rd if it's not the US. Usually though, the network cuts to the story of the gymnast instead of showing other countries participating.

It's been a bit better this year if I can catch the streaming, but it's still bad watching the network tv.

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I think that's kinda my gripe with broadcasting here too, they only seem to show when an Aussies on here & if there's a final of something else they'll interrupt that and go to the heat some Aussie is in, in an unrelated sport ( or in previous years anyway, we've watched via YouTube so far with the actual tv on news channels). We were watching men's synchro diving today & there wasn't a single Aussie team & we didn't care but I doubt they would have shown any of it on the tv channel that has the rights to it here

bestcee likes this.
  20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:giggle not that you're bitter but I'd say you have every right to be in that case! I don't think it was open because it was summer but I remember seeing the height of the ski jump ramp thing in Calgary when we were in Canada & if I wasn't afraid of heights before, I think getting that far off the ground & having such a skinny strip between you & a massive fall would scare most people!

bestcee likes this.