OHHHHH I hope someone can help me!!!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by NancyP, Jan 10, 2019.

1. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

About four months ago I purchased a new EHD----a BIG one with lots of room. I backed up all my photos, files, kits, etc etc etc. It took over 24 hours to finish this task. Then I never looked at it because I wasn't scrapping. Well, today I hooked in the EHD to get my Lily Pad kits and figured I will just put all my Lily Pad kits back on my computer (figured I'd be hanging around for awhile.) Well somewhere through the process, I either turned off the EHD or it stopped. When I went to check my kits------they were GONE from the EHD and all I had in my file on my computer were seven designers!!!! And two of those are no longer here. Yeah, I have like a handfull of kits compared to what I DID have!!!! AGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! :faint2 Now we are talking LOTS of kits. I had kits from just about every designer here. I am SICK!!! I have already dropped a bank load today just to get kits to work MOC with. Do any of you techies out there have any idea where they went to?????? Are they floating in cyber space somewhere crying to come home?????? HELP!!!!!!! :circles

2. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

No clue Nancy, but I wanted to send you a....

[​IMG]

3. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Something similar happened to me. I purchased software that was supposed to sync up all of my drives (I keep several EHDs going in addition to the internal PC storage). At the end of the sync, I noticed it synced up the drives while wiping them at the same time. The only thing I had left was the file structure but no data.

I think what happened was the overall file size of the sync was too much to be processed by my computer's temporary memory, and it kept overwriting what was there. I was able to recover about 90% of what I had because I kept an additional backup offsite, but I'm still missing TLP files. Rolling back my PC didn't help.

I wish I had more to offer. I just want you to know I feel your pain. Big hugs, Nancy!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  4. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

I can't help with the tech but I'm sending good thoughts your way - I know from brutal experience what a heartbreak that is. I have my fingers crossed for you.

5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I really hope they are not gone!! Does the drive show that there is stuff on there or is it showing empty?

I don't know whether or not it's helpful, but the only time I had this happen to me, they were still there and had somehow just gotten hidden. On Windows 10 open the EHD in file explorer, click on View>Options>Change Folder and Search Options, then click on the View Tab and under Advanced Settings, make sure Show hidden files, folders, and drives is selected.

Sending big hugs!!

6. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I don't have any idea dear Nancy, but went to the store and read this:
    We will reset any product download links within the first 30 days after product purchase, with a suitable explanation as to why you were unable to download your products. Links older than 30 days old may be reset with the purchase of an Order History Reset. You are more than welcome to contact us for further information. We highly recommend backing up your purchases often, on an external hard drive (EHD) or burn them to CD or DVD.
    • CONTACT US <-----------------go here, and fill out the form.
    Now, hurry, I may be hosting the challenge tomorrow, so you better get caught up!

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'll wait for your answer to Jan's question....:ballonhangthen I'll see if I know anything to help.....

8. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Can you bring the EHD to a Microcenter or Best Buy, or some sort of computer place to see if they can recover any of the data? I'm so sorry this happened!!

9. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I am so sorry. I have nothing to advise

10. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

Nancy, I hope that you can recover all of the data that you lost on your new EHD.

11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Oh my word! I'm with @bestcee - maybe Jan's suggestion will work. If not, we can certainly help you troubleshoot further. Was this your backup EHD or just the EHD that housed everything? If you don't have a backup service, I've recommended Backblaze before and recommend them again!

I'm also on board with Anne's suggestion for order restore if you've exhausted all other options for file retrieval.

bestcee likes this.
  12. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Check your deleted folder just to make sure they did not go there

13. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Also were you dragging the kits/folder from EHD to desktop? If you were dragging you might want to check your other "folders" to make sure you did not inadvertly "drop" them somewhere else.

You might also want to run a search on both your EHD and computer to see if you can find them. If your other files are still on the EHD most likely somewhere in the process you dropped them somewhere and just don't know where.

bestcee likes this.
  14. NancyP

Oh my goodness!! Didn't know I had all these wonderful answers. Arn't I suppose to get some type of notice when I have a reply to my post????? Hummmm------anyway, I AM DOING THE HAPPY DANCE!!!!!! :banana I FOUND THEM!!!! I got so upset this morning because I am doing Kristin's surprise challenge and I KNEW I had the kit I wanted to use and just couldn't justify purchasing it again. So, determined that I am, I went back into my HUGE 4T EHD, opened up my Lily Pad file and just started opening folders. I got to the forth folder, kits by subject (yep, I break all my kits down into individual folders; for example if I want a button, I have a folder showing me a picture of every kit with buttons---will NOT tell you how long this took me!) ---anyway, there it was!!! My folder called KITS BY DESIGNERS!! WOOT WOOT!!! Now if someone would tell me HOW that got in there-----!!!:cornfused
    But THANK YOU for all your thoughts and help!! HUGS HUGS HUGS

15. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

Oh Nancy @NancyP so happy that you found them!!!! As someone mentioned above, you may have accidentally let go of the mouse button as you were moving your folders across and they inadvertently were dropped into another one? However, you FOUND them which is the most important thing! :clap:circles

As to get some sort of notice/alert about if someone posts in a thread you have started, you will only get that if someone actually tags you or they use the quote button to quote some of your post. A quick way to make sure that you are alerted when someones posts is to use use the Watch Thread feature, up in the top right hand corner above your first post .... just under the pink Reply to Thread button. :) When you click the Watch Thread you will be notified anytime someone else posts in that thread. :)

bestcee likes this.
  16. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Yay!!! Oh Nancy, I am so glad you found them!! What a huge relief that must be!! I'm doing a happy dance for you :banana

17. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

So glad you found them.

18. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Yea! And that can be one issue with dragging/dropping files onto an EHD. I've done it before myself. But glad it was easy(ish) to find! As some other people have mentioned, perhaps you could look into BackBlaze. They also back up EHDs, so you could do both your computer and EHD for $5/month. Unlimited storage. I am so glad I signed up for them, cuz as long as it's on my laptop or my EHD, it's on BackBlaze. It's also a good reminder to double-check both those places, to make sure things are where they're supposed to be.
    Also, when you make a thread, there's a little box right under the "Create Thread" pink box that says "watch this thread..." Click that and you'll get a notification here on TLP that someone has replied. You can also click "and receive email notification" too, which would of course send you an email.
    Anyway, ENJOY scrapping!

19. NancyP

Thank you all so much! Going to look into that BackBlaze.

bestcee and Tree City like this.
  20. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

yes! and backblaze $5 a month! so worth it!

bestcee likes this.