Oh Please Help with Silhouette!!!

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by DixieDoesPSP, Dec 28, 2015.

1. DixieDoesPSP

DixieDoesPSP Well-Known Member

OMG I swear i am going to lose my mind with this thing already! I need so much help.....
    This is what has happened. With my machine I was given a $25.00 GC to purchase things in the store at Silhouette. So I used it to buy a bunch of albums. I figured I could use them with papers and elements from here that I print and cut and make some hybrid stuff for my Guest CT month. Well when I open the album in the software this is what it looks like.

[​IMG]

I know that if I make it smaller it wont print or cut at the right size....What do I do?? OMG I am so confuzzled. I have a 12x12 cutting mat and I will be using Scrap paper from here but I only have letter size card stock so I guess I need to split them all up some how....But how and what do i do with the ones I don't want to print on that particular paper??
    This is much harder then I thought it would be.....Really it is. HELP Please. I go online and look for help but the majority of the tutorials the screen doesn't look like mine and I'm trying to find all the tools they use but cannot find them. I have the Designer Software installed as well so maybe that is why my screen looks different?? I'm about to lose my mind.

2. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

It's a broken image, so I can't see what's on your screen, but you can split things up with Object / Ungroup. Does that help?

Designer edition looks almost identical to the regular one, but there was an update within the last couple years that made some really big changes to the UI, so maybe you're seeing older tuts.

3. DixieDoesPSP

The image is here: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Silhouette Photos?preview=PrintScreenSilAlbum.jpg I dont know why it wont show here.. Its odd because I can see it.
    Yes I was able to break it up but when I do that it breaks everything up including the cut and perf lines as well. I think I am just going to have to keep playing with it with some cheap paper until i figure it out. I opened a smaller album and was able to cut some pieces out with that one....It needs larger paper though. I am going to keep working on it and see what i can figure out LOL Thanks @lorryfach !!

4. lorryfach

You can see it because it's yours, but it's not in a shared or public place, so no one else can see it at all. Do you have a "public" folder within Dropbox?

You can reselect things that go together and Object/Group them back.

5. Brynn Marie

Brynn Marie Brynn Marie

@DixieDoesPSP Can you post the album link from the Sil store. I might have it already in my library. I can open it up real quick and see what happens.

6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

this is too advanced for me Kellie. i have only cut a few things like planner stickers and bookmarks. I hope the girls can help you!

7. Kate W

Kate W And justice for all ...

If you ungroup the whole lot, you can regroup the individual objects by recolouring the separate lines and group by colour, or click and drag your mouse over the lines you need to group together.

I can't see your pic, but if the separate objects are different colours you can go into advanced settings and chose to cut by colour e.g. just cut the red lines, or red and blue etc.

lorryfach likes this.
  8. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

@DixieDoesPSP Kellie, I can check to see if I have the files too if you can give me a link or the file name for the silhouette store. I'm not able to see the image here or via the DB link. My suggestions... if all of the album pages are saved as one file you can ungroup them. Then move the ones off to the side of the workspace that you are not ready to use at the moment. You can grab each file in the corner and size it down to the size that you want (the size shows in a little pop out menu). It will have to be smaller than 8.5x11 if you plan to print and cut. If you are planning on printing/cutting something larger than 8.5x11 you will need a large format printer for that.
    Hope this helps.

9. WendyBird

WendyBird Active Member

Some Silhouette store files are set up so that they only work on 12x12 Cameos.

If when you ungroup it, it ungroups it "too far" (ungrouping the perforated lines too), you'll have to select the parts of each piece and Group them again, then move them out of the way.

If you do resize, make sure you have all the pieces selected and resize them together.

I'll bet between us, at least one of us owns that file, so we'll be able to help more with more specifics :)

bestcee likes this.
  10. DixieDoesPSP

This is the file I was trying to get to work ladies: https://www.silhouettedesignstore.com/view-shape/42457
    I do have a 12x12 cameo and printer so I can print up to 12x12 and cut but these files are HUGE on the screen. I know I will have to ungroup and move them around but how do you keep track of what goes where etc etc when you do that?
    I was able to finally print out a Card with tag and make it. Thats the most i have been able to do though other then just straight cutting. @WendyBird @Trista @Brynn Marie !! Thanks so much for all your help ladies!!

bestcee likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

That's a cool book! Whatcha going to do with it?
    And since it says 8.5 x 11 compatible, I'm totally buying it! Enabler.

DixieDoesPSP likes this.
  12. lorryfach

If you group back the things that go together, when you move them around, they move as a group.

DixieDoesPSP and WendyBird like this.
  13. WendyBird

WendyBird Active Member

I do have that one - once the madness of opening my store today has passed, I'll help with more detail if it's still needed!

bestcee, lorryfach and DixieDoesPSP like this.
  14. DixieDoesPSP

Ha ha!! For once I'm the enabler rather then the one being enabled! He He Please share what you make! I want to see how everyone does them!

Oh that is awesome! I think my main problem is that since I just got it and have barely gotten it out of the box Im so lost in the steps. If anyone knows of a video tutorial that goes through the entire process from start to end (Printing/cutting/Finish) of putting together an album (Any album) with the silhouette so i have an idea of what I should be doing I think I would be more comfortable then.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  15. WendyBird

WendyBird Active Member

Here is an assembly video for it from the designer:

16. Brynn Marie

Brynn Marie Brynn Marie

@DixieDoesPSP This is what I had when I opened it at first. Everything is all grouped into one file. Whenever I have a file like this I start by zooming way out so I can see everything.
    [​IMG]

Then I right clicked > Ungroup. That made each part it's own. All the score lines were still grouped with their corresponding shape and I was able to move things around to fit my cutting area. I just moved this one slightly so you could see it's still all grouped together.
    [​IMG]

When I ungrouped a second time, that is when all the cut lines became their own little separate pieces. So i'm thinking maybe ungroup got clicked more than once when you tried it the first time.
    [​IMG]

Luckily like Photoshop Studio has undo, so you can always go back without starting over ;) When your ready to actually cut them album, the studio software will only cut what's currently in your Page. So like here, even though I have each piece showing on my screen, only the two pages are in my cutting area.
    [​IMG]

So when I go to my cut setting, only those 2 will be "active" and cut.
    [​IMG]

That album is by Lori Whitlock. Lori's YouTube channel is full of tutorials on her cut files:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/loriwhitlock

bestcee and WendyBird like this.
  17. WendyBird

WendyBird Active Member

That's an awesome explanation Brynn!

18. DixieDoesPSP

Oh @Brynn Marie you are spectacular!! Thank you so much!! I am so going to give it a whirl!! TY TY TY

19. DixieDoesPSP

Yes I found this online and I love that she does these videos i just wish she had the "How to Cut" video for dummies too LOL TY TY TY