October Photography Challenge

Discussion in 'October 2018 Challenges' started by Tree City, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Hello, and welcome to the October Photography challenge! I can’t believe 2018 is ¾ over. Time seems to be moving so quickly—lately I haven’t picked up my camera as much as usual, so I’m trying to be better about just taking photos and having fun with it in the moment. Sure, not every photo I end up taking looks perfect and the background might be messy, but at least I’ve got the photos, and I can tell my stories! And sometimes, if I’m lucky, the "odd" photos end up being some of my favorites when I scrap.

And with that in mind, it’s time for the Photography Challenge! This month, let's take a photo with an obscured (or obstructed) subject. “Obscure” in this case simply means the photo isn't what we would normally consider "perfect": the subject is blurry or partially missing; the exposure might be off. The subject of your photo shouldn’t be perfectly in focus and/or perfectly visible. But I'm not asking you to take an ugly photo (see my example for proof lol!). This challenge can be interpreted a few ways, and basically anything “obscured” will work. One example is the infamous “Photobomb.” Or perhaps you wanted to take a photo of the countryside from your car, but it starts raining. Your view is obscured by the rain, but you still end up with a great photo to tell the story.

Here's my layout:
    [​IMG]
    I used Tropicana {Elements} and {Papers} by Paula Kesselring and
    Happy Go Lucky - Layer Styles | CCM - March 2017 by Mommyish Designs

While my DD was naturally obscured via the water, you could manipulate your photo in your scrapping program if you prefer. Mommyish has a great set of bokeh brushes that could be so fun for this challenge.
    [​IMG]

Below are two more examples. The left layout is mine and on the right is a page by @tkradtke. On hers, the bottom-left “family selfie” photo is obscured by the fun Ferris wheel and Twinings boxes. What a great way to use a photo to tell the story!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

What’s great about this challenge is that you can really take this in any direction you wish.

To recap: Create a page featuring an “Obscured view photo.” The photo itself must appear obscured (so a big element cluster on top of your photo doesn’t count). I can't wait to see what you create!

And as always: your page must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product. (“Current product” is product created by Lilypad designers who currently sell in the store. If it has a working store link, then that's a current product.) Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Photography Gallery, the October Challenge Layouts thread (so it can be tracked), and to this thread.

The Lilypad provides 8 challenges a month for you to participate in, and uses a percent system for your rewards; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 or more challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a $50 Lilypad gift certificate!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Ga_L, berniek, KarenB and 3 others like this.
  2. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

thank you for the fun Challenge! I hope I found the right photo....?

[​IMG]

Tree City and Trish like this.
  3. Tree City

You sure did, and it's such a fun photo, too! :) Thanks for playing along!

4. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

Oooh fun, I think I might have a swim meet photo like that. So here is mine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Tree City likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What a fun challenge, Sara. I'll have to see what I can come up with. :)

Tree City likes this.
  6. DivaMom96

DivaMom96 Well-Known Member

7. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Sometimes I use less than perfect photos because they are a reminder of the event/moment. Good challenge!
    [​IMG]

Tree City likes this.
  8. bbachand

bbachand Well-Known Member

What a fun challenge. Obstructed by martini glasses :martini
    [​IMG]

Tree City likes this.
  9. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Fun challenge here's mine

[​IMG]

Tree City likes this.
  10. gduncan

gduncan Well-Known Member

Great challenge! I tried and tried to get a good photo of this spider working on his web. I'm no photographer so I couldn't get a good photo of him. He was wrapping silk around an insect he had captured. At least it was interesting to watch! My photo was obscured by the patio door glass and the flash.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Tree City likes this.
  11. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Photo of my granddaughter doing yard work obscured by leaves.
    [​IMG]

Tree City likes this.
  12. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

I had the perfect photo for this challenge. Went the clean and simple route...
    [​IMG]

flowersgal and Tree City like this.
  13. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

This picture happened when my Batman-obsessed son was too starstruck to smile for the camera. His older brother was giving him a thumbs up and telling him to smile when I accidentally got his thumbs up in the photo lol.

[​IMG]

Tree City likes this.
  14. Brendazzle

Brendazzle Shooting on the Serengeti

we don't need to see their faces in the bottom left photo to know how happy they are. plus, they didn't notice me taking their photo from across the room.

[​IMG]

Tree City likes this.
  15. Carol K.

Carol K. Well-Known Member

16. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Well try as one will (and believe me I do try) to get an unobstructed photo, sometimes it just isn't going to happen. So you take what you can get and hope to fine a way to use it. This was one of those and perfect for this challenge.
    [​IMG]

Tree City likes this.
  17. Tree City

I am so excited and truly thrilled to see what everyone has made so far! What awesome takes on the challenge! :wubb This was a great way to start off the challenge, and I can't wait to see what else scrappers come up with!

18. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

19. nhudao

nhudao Well-Known Member

20. MariSt

MariSt Well-Known Member