October 2017 Book Club - The Radium Girls

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Aug 7, 2017.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Bart likes the green part of the cover - not that he's the type of frog that would ever judge a book by that... :innocent
    [​IMG]

2. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

I kissed the frog!

3. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

Just picked this book up at the library! Getting a late start but looking forward to the book.

Karen likes this.
  4. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

5. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

I kissed the frog!

6. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I really liked the book. I did increase the speed on the audio version and if I was reading it, I probably would have skimmed some of the paragraphs. Because I was listening to it quickly, I lost track of a lot of the particulars of each girl; nevertheless, it was still horrifying.

It and other stories of worker exploitation are important to share and remember. There is a reason we have labor laws and protection for workers. It's unfortunate that those girls, along with their families suffered so long.

7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I did get this book and finally read it. Longwinded for sure. I really didn't care how tall each of the women were or which man had blond hair or brown eyes etc. My husband says I give him too much detail so when I found this book way too detailed, you get the point. There were also times I had to remind myself that these women (girls) lived in a more innocent or perhaps just less informed time and not to wonder why they weren't getting what was happening to them. As @michelepixels said, what is happening now to us that we don't know about? How many cases have there been over the years where a whistle blower tried to expose a company or a process? In any case, I certainly skimmed a lot and would hope there was another book that told this story in a shorter version while still keeping the human interest side. But The Radium Girls? I probably would not recommend this book and prefer just an article.

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

9. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I'm finally #10 on a waiting list to get this book after waiting a year and a half for our library to get a Kindle version.

10. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I finally got to read this book while on vacation for the last two weeks.

Wow! All I can say is that I'm really glad for workplace regulations and really hope that the whole world doesn't go back in time and start deregulating things. What a horrible way for all those ladies to die.

michelepixels likes this.