October 2017 Book Club - The Radium Girls

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am posting the next few months at once, so we can all get these books on hold at our libraries in time. :) The book we will be reading for October 2017 is The Radium Girls by Kate Moore. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here (highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I started this today and am really getting into the story.

Karen likes this.
  3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm still reading and am sure I'll finish it...but I'm starting to lag a bit with it. It's interesting, it's appalling as it's a true story, and I'm hoping it grabs my interest more as I read (I'm about 1/3 into it) b/c if not then I'll have to start skimming a bit to get to the end.

Karen and bestcee like this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Glad to know I'm not the only one who does that!

5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I do that a lot. If I get more than 1/4 into a book that I am starting to lose interest in, I still want to know how it ends. I will flip thru, skimming a paragraph here and there, to get the gist of what is going on and then will read the last 5-10 pages to finish it up. That way I know the ending, have a good idea of what happened to the characters but didn't have to suffer thru the whole book.

Karen likes this.
  6. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

This is about where I am, too.. It's started feeling very textbook and I'm having a hard time wanting to keep going.. It's probably been a week + since I've read it, though I've picked up other things to read in that time.. :( One of the reviews on the dust jacket says something about how fast-paced it is, so maybe I just need to skip ahead and find the fast part again, lol..

Karen likes this.
  7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I finished it this morning, skimming thru the last 150 pages. So I was able to keep up with the story but didn't read every line. I'm glad I read it, it is a powerful story, but I wish they had condensed it more. It did get a bit repetitive and textbooky for me.

Bottom line, an important book, fascinating and horrifying account of the women's experiences but a bit too wordy for me, hence the skimming until the last 20 pages or so, wanting to read the ending to understand how it all resolved.

Karen and sm_amber like this.
  8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

This was a long tedious book. I'm not sure I would have read it if I hadn't had the audiobook version. About half way through I remembered that we can adjust the speed of audiobooks and I listened to the rest of it at at least 1.5x speed. Toward the end I increased it all the way to 2x!

It's such a horrifying story. How can people be so cruel just to save their company? Also, it makes me wonder what we are doing today that is regarded as safe but will be determined unsafe in the future. I am impressed with the amount of research the author put into it, actually walking the streets the girls lived on and interviewing their descendants. In the author note, she says she wanted to put more life into their stories so it isn't just a cold account of court cases, and that's something I always wish for more of from history books. I like the way we got to know the individual people a bit. I'm very moved that she surrounded herself with portraits of the girls was she wrote the book.

sm_amber likes this.
  9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Y'ALL, Radium Girls is a Kindle Deal today! $2.90!

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  10. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Okay.... do I even want to start this now.....?

11. Karen

I'm wondering the same thing @Sokee

12. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I might start another book for October and do a review... lol
    @Karen

Karen likes this.
  13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I think it's worth reading but I also think it's a bit longwinded so some skimming through the last 1/3 helps. I'm not sorry I read it though. Lilac Girls was my next and I loved it.

Karen likes this.
  14. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I think it was worth reading for expanding knowledge of history. But wait until you're in the mood for a serious story. Or a court drama. And if you can get it in audiobook form and up the speed 1.5x or 2x, that will help! :)

Karen likes this.
  15. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I just downloaded the audio version of the story. Thanks for the heads up for the end. I'll be ready for it. I am really looking forward to reading the book. Several years ago, I saw some high school girls perform an interpretation of the play that the author worked with and decided to write a book to tell the story.

16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

There are 9 people ahead of me at the library so it looks like I could get this one in October. Fingers crossed.

17. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Sheez! 55 people waiting for 1 Kindle edition at my library!

18. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

This is me too!

bcgal00 likes this.
  19. Karen

Wow! That's awful! That'll take two years! I'd say they need to get a few more copies for your library!

bellbird likes this.
  20. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I have to admit-- I usually only read with my daughter anymore. She is nine and actually into some really interesting books, so it is pretty awesome. BUT-- I decided that reading a few on my own might be nice, so I placed a hold for this one at my library. There is only one person ahead of me, so hopefully I can get it and finish it this month.

bellbird likes this.