October 2016 M3 challenge : Art Dolls

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by Lynne-Marie, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynne-Marie

Lynne-Marie there is beauty in everything

Designerchallenge-1016.jpg

So, this month's theme is inspired by the work of Mixed Media artist Teesha Moore. I found this amazing series of videos that she produced to inspire your pages. Watch the one below and then follow the links in YouTube to go through her entire series. It's fascinating!!! In this video series, she describes how she puts together her art dolls. I used her methods to make my own and in this challenge, I will teach you how to make YOURS too… DIGITALLY!

After you watch the video series below, watch my tutorial on how to create your own digital version of this art style. You'll see… it's quite a challenge, but LOTS of FUN!!

Wasn't that AMAZING?!! Now go ahead and watch my tutorial below (Sorry if the video is a bit choppy… I had to cut out a lot because it was too long.):

THE CHALLENGE: Create your own digital art doll.
    Deadline: November 17th, 2016
    Prize: One random participant will get a 5$ gift coupon to the M3 shop!

Step 1: Search your stash or the internet for images to use for your doll. This art style involves cutting images from magazines and modifying them, so to reproduce this step we can select high resolution images of faces or any other textures and accessories you'd like to use (Google them). You can also use animal body parts, eyes, mouths…., or parts from dolls. All good choices. Download the images and keep them in a file on your desk. **Make sure you select images that are high enough resolution that you don't have to enlarge them. That would reduce the quality of the image.

Step 2: Do some rough extractions of the images you want to use, to imitate scissor cutting. They don't have to be perfectly smooth lines.

Step 3: Assemble your pieces in Photoshop.

[SAVE YOUR WORK]

Step 4: Create digital doodles on your pieces as shown in my video.

[SAVE YOUR WORK several times throughout this process]

Step 5: Add drop shadows as needed.

[SAVE YOUR WORK]

Here is my doll. I can't wait to see yours!!

lynnemarie_ArtDoll.jpg

Please post your doll in this thread and the M3 gallery.
    IF you use scrapbooking products, please use your TLP stash.

HAVE FUN!!!

I've made my art doll available for you
    to download from the shop for FREE!!

:bk

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    paula kesselring, Ga_L and Cath_ like this.
  2. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

an amazing challenge

3. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    wvsandy, scrapsandsass and sbpoet like this.
  4. Lynne-Marie

Lynne-Marie there is beauty in everything

Great job on this @Cath_ !

Cath_ likes this.
  5. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

I've watched your video @Lynne-Marie , love how you explained all your process. and you're right your doll is so cute

6. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

@Lynne-Marie, thanks so much for this video! You used tricks I've never tried; I've never used "path" and had no idea what it did. Off to play.

7. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

GRAB THEM BY THE BALLOT: ART DOLL

I've been struggling for weeks with sad/bad feelings about this election. I know that making something helps, but I tried & tried and got nowhere. This challenge fixed it. Thank you!

I made a page, too, which I'll post shortly.

Elements from Rebecca McMeen (M3_Oct16 & Two Kitties); Lynne Marie (M3_Oct16); Quirky Heart (M3_July15); Paula Kesselring (M3_Oct16 & M3_Oct16 AddOn); Nanci Rowe Janitz (M3_Jan15, M3_July16, M3_May 16, M3_June16 & M3_Sept16); and Little Butterfly Wings (M3_April15 & M3_Oct16).

wvsandy and scrapsandsass like this.
  8. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

I got carried away, and made a page as well:

[​IMG]

GRAB BACK

For an M3 (Monthly Multi-Media) art doll challenge at The Lilypad.

Art doll elements are from Rebecca McMeen (M3_Oct16 & Two Kitties); Lynne Marie (M3_Oct16); Quirky Heart (M3_July15); Paula Kesselring (M3_Oct16 & M3_Oct16 AddOn); Nanci Rowe Janitz (M3_Jan15, M3_July16, M3_May16, M3_June16 & M3_Sept16); and Little Butterfly Wings (M3_April15 & M3_Oct16).

Other elements from Little Butterfly Wings (M3_Oct16 AddOn) and Lynne Marie (Masked Beauty).

9. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Absolutely love the M3 this month! I'll be back, when things settle down a bit... I was gone on a fantastic vacation for over 2 weeks, came home & sabotaged my laptop (spilled bullet-proof tea on the keyboard & fried the mother board). I ordered a new laptop & it was delivered the next day (yesterday - Thursday). So last night I was busy restoring, loading programs, etc., etc. I've still got quite a bit to do, but I've come a long way since the death of my beloved laptop on Wednesday morning. Photoshop CS5 is working on Windows 10, I so fretted about it. A big plus. And my restore was relatively current, only lost 3 downloads that I was able to retrieve plus a Photoshop layout that wasn't the most current version. I backup nightly, and I must have pulled these files over, etc. after the backup finished.

10. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Here is mine; I put her on a simple page too.
    [​IMG]

11. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I so love this and share in your feelings. I'm glad you got a little therapy out of it. :) Great doll!

12. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I guess I posted in the wrong spot. I'm going to do a new one, but...

Here is one I made quite awhile back for the ATC swap. She's a version of another that I did for a billboard design

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BevG and mcurtt like this.
  13. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

This was such a fun challenge! I really enjoyed the tutorial videos and LM's doll is so COOL!!! I had a great time making mine and drawing on her tail ... because she/I needed one!! I used the Oct M3 kit and a whole pile of add on and I hope it works!
    [​IMG]

scrapsandsass, tam65, BevG and 2 others like this.
  14. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

15. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

amazing dolls ladies !

I've played too :
    [​IMG]

scrapsandsass, tam65 and Lynne-Marie like this.
  16. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

@Ga_L - Love your page. When I scrolled by, the laptop made the wings appear to flap due to the color changes/angle of the screen. Cool.

Ga_L likes this.
  17. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

WOWWWWWWW! Love the video LM!!!
    And all your dolls girls!!!!
    You rock!

Ga_L likes this.
  18. tam65

tam65 Break out the lawn mower!

Finally after much work from my undo function here is my doll.

[​IMG]

Ga_L, Dalis, scrapsandsass and 2 others like this.
  19. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Here is mine:

[​IMG]

Ga_L likes this.
  20. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@Lynne-Marie Well, I was so hopeful that I could create something new for this challenge. But I went on a 2 week vacation in September/October and I am still not caught up. So I decided to share a couple of pages out of my gluebook. I looked thru it today since I realized that the art doll wasn't going to happen... Anyway, I think these two pages will technically work. I have a few personal rules for myself. I only use scissors, a composition notebook and a gluestick. I don't modify the images with paint or ink unless something is obviously glaring. I really love to dig thru the junk mail & create art out of it. When I first discovered gluebooks, I did nothing else. My dining room table was covered with clippings and newspapers and word strips. It was so much fun. But then DH got a bit agitated with me taking it over, so I now retreat to my studio if I get the urge to play with scissors.

And if anyone is interested, you can see more of my gluebook pages on my Pinterest board:
    https://www.pinterest.com/mcurtt/my-gluebook/

055 No Flowers.jpg 052 Cat Page.jpg

Lynne-Marie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.