November Monthly Muse Challenge - Week #4

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Nov 27, 2018.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

[​IMG]

Hey everyone and welcome to Week #4 of the November Monthly Muse Challenge! Hope you are all doing well! :)

Week 3: Nov 27 - Dec 3 | Contrasts in Art: Colours & Tones
    I think we all know the basics of how to use colours (and their tones ie. light and dark) in our digital art and how they can help to convey an emotion of some sort. Here is a great article on the basics of colour if you would like to read it Basics of Color Theory by Mihir Patkar.

Staying with our main theme for the month, Contrasts in Art, I wanted us to focus on using contrasting colours/tones in our digital layouts this week. Use any colours/tones you would like but they need to contrast with one another so that they really stand out and don't just melt into each other. So think vibrant, striking, powerful colour contrasts, something that will really stand out.

While not 'true' colours, black and white can also be used, not only as contrasting colour components on your page, but also as light/dark shadings in a photo if you wish to go that way.

That is what I did with my page below, I started out with a very dramatic b&w photo and only used one other bold colour in the flower to create a contrast. I also used the scribbles to add some movement and finished off with a textured paper over the top of the photo to add some further subtle contrasts of colour and tone.

12X12-STOCK---POWER-AND-STRENGTH.jpg
    Credits: Please see Gallery.

REALLY looking forward to the layouts you guys will create this week, you are all so super creative and have come up with so many original interpretations this month!! Remember you can scrap in any page design or style you like, just make sure to have fun with it!
    Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to December 3, 2018 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month, even more incentives for your inspiration! You can use any products in The Lilypad store, just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines. :)

If you have any questions about the challenge then please ask away here :)

2. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I'm not exactly sure if this is what you had in mind... I had a reject photo, taken from a moving vehicle, when I was attempting to capture the San Diego skyline. I decided to take advantage of that reject, to embrace it, and this is what I came up with. I added an overlay (lined paper turned vertical), some thread & chicken wire & word art along with my blue heart. :heartlub

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Rosie and wombat146 like this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I love this, Marilyn. You gotta love re-purposing rejects! I just asked you, in the gallery, if those were stitches, but they're chicken wire? LOVE the whole look - so graphic!

mcurtt likes this.
  4. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Contrast in Colours! Andy Warhol jumps to mind. And I happen to have a son named Andy, so this was a perfect storm!
    [​IMG]

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

After looking at the color wheel, I decided to go with an explosion of bright colors (not my usual style).

[​IMG]

Carol K. and wombat146 like this.
  6. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

My ATC for this week; hope it isn't too subtle for the challenge:

[​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.
  7. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

This is an ATC.
    [​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.
  8. wombat146

whoa!! awesome work guys!!! off to the gallery I go! :)

mcurtt likes this.
  9. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Final Challenge For November...I Think These Challenges Have Been My Favorite Month Since I Started Doing These Monthly Muse Challenges Quite A Few Months Ago Now...This Month Has Allowed Me To Further My Creativity In Ways That I Hadn't Discovered Before...Each Week Was A Welcomed Challenge For Me...Opening Up My Mind To The Possibilities To New Ways to Create Layouts With More Impact In So Many Different Ways...Thank You!!!

*This Challenge Specifically Is About Contrasts In Color/Tone With A Brash Bit Of Impact...As Opposed To Blending Things In(Which I Do A Lot Of)...Either Way...I Wanted To Highlight This Lion Photo In A More Artsy Way By Creating More Layers Of Contrasting Colors Within The Lion's Mane Etc & Contrasting Textures/Tones...Once I Achieved The Result With The Lion That I Wanted...I Built The Layout From There...I Added A Background Paper With Triangles & Blended In 2 Other Papers Also & Applied Various Effects To Achieve The Highlighting Of The Triangles...After This I Knew I Wanted To Add Fire But Not Just Any Fire...Fire Shaped Like Triangles To Correlate/Contrast With The Triangles In The Background Paper...With The Fire Pieces Having Similar Colors But Having More Contrast & Impact With Applied Effects & Textures & Tones...The Next Step Was The Rather Large WA In Once Again Similar Colors To Our Bright Lion...But I Still Felt There Was Something Missing...So I Applied Some "Messy Marvin" Pieces To The Back Of The Lion To Give More Impact & Texture...With A More White Background & It Gave The Impact I Wanted Right Away...So Great!...But Still Not Quite Right...I Added An Additional Paper In Behind To Give More Pop But Also To Ground The WA Even More & Then Adding An Additional Black Layer Version Of The Existing Colored WA To Achieve The Proper Impact I Was Searching For...Pop!...Just What I Had Imagined In My Head...Great! But It Still Needed Something...More WA!...To Give Focus To The Subject Matter & To Point Out That This Layout Was Currently Made Based On Current Events in My Life Right Now...I Also Liked The Contrast Of The Soft Tones Of The WA Verses The More Textured & Bright Tones Of The Lion & The Rather Large WA At The Bottom...And Then I Added The Round Flairs To Fill In The Open Spaces & Give Contrast To The Triangles,The Rectangle Photo & The Square Layout...Finally Finishing The Layout Design...

*For My This Girl Is On Fire Layout-I Used:

*Reality Bites/Turning It Around/Life Is An Adventure-Collab-The Lilypad-Lynn Grieveson
    *Messy Marvin Vol.7-Elements-Amy Wolff(1)
    *A Little Damaged Vol.6-Paper Pack-Amy Wolff(1)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    wombat146 likes this.
  10. wombat146

WOW! you have done so much on your page RJMJ!! it's sensational!!! and THANK YOU for your lovely words, I am so very happy that you have enjoyed this month's challenges!! :happyhug

11. willimena

willimena Well-Known Member

Such a great challenge - looking through my photos I realise I am a low contrast, golden-hour photographer :) Upped the saturation on this one and liked how her snow suit contrasted with the whiteout ahead of her. Thanks for the inspiration.

[​IMG]

mcurtt, wvsandy and wombat146 like this.
  12. wombat146

Willimena, that page is exceptional! Love it!

willimena likes this.
  13. Carol K.

Carol K. Well-Known Member

14. Rosie

Rosie New Member

mcurtt likes this.
  15. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

16. wombat146

THANK YOU to everyone for your kind comments and fantastic participation for November's Muse Challenge!!! The winner is announce here ===> NOV WINNER :)