November 2022 Book Club - Remarkably Bright Creatures

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yahoo! We have another round of voting completed and we have another batch of great books to read together. After voting was complete we were able to narrow the list down a little bit. :giggle We did end up having a THREE way tie for the last book, so I'm going to go ahead and add a couple extras to our list! :D

The book for November is Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt. Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers. We have a new trick for hiding spoilers. Type whatever you want and then highlight the spoiler portion and click the + button above and select Spoiler. If that doesn't work (seems to be funky on Macs) just highlight your text and change the color to white >>>This is a super secret spoiler alert!<<< like I did right there.

So many fun ways to hide spoilers here!

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone is welcome to join in with our book club reading at any time and join in the discussion! The more the merrier! :agree Happy reading!

2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I just got this audiobook from my library! Can't wait to start in the next few days! :D

Karen likes this.
  3. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

This one was SOOO good! I think it might make my top ten of the year!

What a delight! Feel good fiction, hopeful with a sense of humor, flawed characters who come together in the ways they should. I really enjoyed this story. I would have loved more of Marcellus, the octopus's, point of view. Love, love, love!

janedee and Karen like this.
  4. Karen

Oh yay! I'm so excited to hear this!

5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm intrigued by octopuses. I'm 27th in line for the book at my library!

6. Karen

I'm 25th in line. :giggle

michelepixels likes this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I got the book on Monday and just finished it around 7 a.m. today! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I found Cameron a little annoying, especially at first, and at the end I felt like his change of heart was too sudden and not explained. But I loved all the other characters. My favorite of course, was Marcellus.
    I love that the octopus had his own chapters.

Karen likes this.
  8. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

I loved this book. I did the audiobook checked out on Libby. I finished it in 4 days and then I did something I've never done before - started from the beginning and listened to the whole thing over again. I just wasn't ready to let go.

Karen and plumdumpling like this.
  9. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

silly me I just had to look up how to do the spoilers

I thought the story was really well planned out, how they tied things from the past to the present. Like when Avery first takes Cameron out on the water and she tells him that she stopped a woman from killing herself at this spot. Then later meets up with Tova there and tells the story but adds in details like the woman looked strung out, kept talking about the big boom. Then Tova puts it together that if they were drinking on the boat and he got struck by the boom that is what pushed him over.

Another thing - she meets the man at the restaurant who wasn't a close friend of her son and never interviewed by police but he tells her that her son had a girlfriend and she keeps repeating over and over in her mind "there was a girl" I was right there with her! I would have been doing this too.

One thing that didn't make sense to me, the part about Daphne leaving California as a teen and going to the pacific NW. She gets there and enrolls in high school? Who was she living with? That part could have been better developed and I also thought aunt June knew more about Camerons dad than she was telling him. Like when he tells her he thinks its the real estate guy and June is telling him flat out no.

I was laughing out loud at the visual of Tova rolling Marcellus down to the water in that bucket. What a great ending!

Karen likes this.
  10. Karen

Wow! This has me super excited to start this one! I have another book from my IRL boo club that I have to finish first though.

11. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Finally read this and loved it!!

Karen and michelepixels like this.
  12. Karen

I completely forgot to come back here and say that I LOVED this book. It was a 5 star read for me and I wished it wasn't over when I finished. It really reminded me a lot of Fredrick Backman's writing style and the fun quirky characters he writes. This was one of the first books I read this year and after a book that took me 6-8 weeks to finish, so this was such a refreshing change for that other long boring book I finished the year with. :giggle

13. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I didn't know this was a TLP book club book! I read it last month and I totally agree... definitely a 5 star read from me. And like you, @Karen, I didn't want it to end. Just a beautiful book!

Karen likes this.
  14. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I read this one a couple months ago -- probably because the group picked it and I absolutely loved it. I've already recommended it to several people. It is just so unique and the story is beautiful.

Karen likes this.
  15. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

I finished this one yesterday and I loved it. I love recommendations because sometimes I find really amazing books I would not have read otherwise.

Karen likes this.
  16. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I don't know how long this was on hold for me, but I finally got it and read it. I will say as it started, I was of thinking -- really? what is all the hype about this book? There was no connection obvious between these characters and they all seemed a bit sad . . . but, fortunately, I stuck with it.

It wasn't too long before I became totally swept up by Marcellus, then you begin to see where the story is headed. I will say, that in some ways the characters stay a bit sad until the end. I don't know about you, but I found myself shedding tears just about every time Marcellus talked about his imminent doom. Needless to say, this was my favorite character in the story. I loved how Tova helped him have a happy end.

but, of my TLP book club reads, Lesson in Chemistry is standing out as my number 1.

Karen likes this.
  17. Karen

18. Karen

Oops! I don't know why it posted before I actually typed my message... lol. I was going to say I agree with you that it did start out a little weird with the octopus, but for me, I hadn't heard any hype really yet, so I didn't go in with big expectations like you said, so that was nice actually.

I also agree that everyone stayed a little sad at the end, but I really liked how they found their tribe of misfits together and took care of each other. I also loved how Tova gave Marcellus his happy ending too.

elseepe likes this.
  19. Karen

My IRL book club is doing this book for July now and I hope they like it as much as I did because I recommended it. I think I'll re-read it too. :)

20. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

This book has turned up on the reading list for three different book clubs of mine so I finally got the chance to read it. I totally loved it! I talked on the phone with my daughter today and told her that she needs to read it as well!

Karen likes this.