November 2019 Book Club - How to Walk Away

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Here we go! We have another batch of books to read together. Yay!

Like I've been doing the last couple of times, I am posting the next few months (October 2019 -February 2020) all at once, so we can all get these books on hold at our libraries in time. :) The book we will be reading for November 2019 is How to Walk Away by Katherie Center. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here(highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]
    Just a note, anyone can read these books at any time and join in the discussion at any time too! The more the merrier! :agree

2. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

>>>Boy, the boyfriend/fiance turned out to be a real jerk. Reading this book gave me a different view on my brother-in-law's injuries. He was paralyzed from the chest down after a bicycle accident 24 years ago.<<<

3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

>>> I'm glad Margaret found peace with her injuries, but I wasn't so sure that she would have rebounded so quickly. And fiancé? I'll love you forever, uh no... not like this! The whole story, despite the major tragedy/unfairness of her injuries, just seemed a bit too much like a 'feel good' story. Each character seemed to be a bit too much of a cliche. But then we each respond to life with the tools we have at the time. <<< I gave it 3 stars.

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

So... I read this last batch of books all out of order because of when I received them from the library. I didn't know one single thing about this book, it's subject matter or the plot going in and that was kind of great. Spoilers>>> The fiance was such a loser! I mean poor him... he feels guilty so he goes off drinking. I wanted to kill that jerk when he came into the hospital drunk and told Maggie that her face looked like pizza. How awful could you be?!?! Anyway, obviously he had to be a jerk so she could end up with the hot Scottish PT guy. Lol. I know it was kinda hokey and sappy, but I thought it was well written and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one. The mother was pretty awful a lot of the time too, but I ended up forgiving her by the end of the book when she almost lost her husband and had to go without him and didn't know if he'd come back for almost a year. I didn't really believe his character would have left his daughter when she'd just moved home, but it fit the fairy tale story telling, so I let that go too. :giggle I also wish the awful Myles supervisor guy would have gotten more karma payback for being a big ole jerk too. I'm REALLY glad they didn't end up having her miracously healed and able to walk by the end. That would have been too over the top and I thought that's where it was going when she was able to wiggle her toes. I loved that they got married and had kids and were able to open the camp together too. They figured a way to find a new fulfilling life together. It was sweet. <<<spoilers

This one reminded me a lot of Sophie Kinsella's style and I love her books, so maybe that's why I loved this one too.