November 2018 Book Club - Ghosted

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yippee! The votes are in and we have our last batch of books to read together for 2018! :clap

Like I've been doing the last couple of times, I am posting the next few months (September-December) all at once, so we can all get these books on hold at our libraries in time. :) The book we will be reading for November 2018 is Ghosted by Rosie Walsh. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here(highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

londoncuppa likes this.
  2. southernmother

southernmother Headed to SB for some cold brew & coconut milk

This has been staring at me on my bookcase since I picked it up on sale at Sam's Club in July. I'm so excited to see it was chosen, as it was my pick and I really want to read it (I have SO MANY to-be-read books right now).

bellbird, londoncuppa and Karen like this.
  3. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Ok... I jumped ahead and read this first (instead of September’s book). I read it IN ONE DAY....couldn’t put it down. Both very cleverly written and also really aggravating at times. Great read. Can’t wait to discuss in November.

4. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Number 67 on the list for this book. I thought I was going to be lucky today!

Karen and bellbird like this.
  5. Karen

Oh man! That's worse than the other one. Yikes!

bellbird likes this.
  6. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Another great book on my list!

Karen and bellbird like this.
  7. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Ordered today - number 2 on the list so should be soon

Karen likes this.
  8. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

October 2 - #20 on 16 copies so I'll probably be reading this this month :)

Karen likes this.
  9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'll have to pass on this one unless one of my digi libraries gets a copy in. So far, neither of them have it. I wish we had a bigger selection for digi b/c I don't read paperback/novels anymore. Now that I load them onto my phone, I prefer that b/c I have always have my phone with me therefore I can read anywhere I go. But....it sucks sometimes that the choices aren't better.

10. Karen

Yeah that is a super bummer Rae. I get all sad when my library doesn't have a book I want... like the one Julie recommended yesterday. I'll just keep checking and wishing they'd get it. I wonder if they take suggestions?

11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

12. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

13. Karen

I just finished this today. I really did NOT like the beginning of this book. I had to read the first few chapters THREE times before I could even sort out who the characters were and why I cared about them. I didn't like that the chapters introduced so many new people without really actually introducing them... they where just there and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to know who they were. That really annoyed me and if I weren't reading this for a book club, I might have just given up.

BUT... after I got into the book, it got better and then I really enjoyed the last half and ending. I'm glad I pushed through. Once I started to figure out who the characters all were and got into the storyline, I couldn't put it down. I read past midnight last night and just finished the last pages on my lunch break. Can't wait to hear how everyone else felt about this one.

ETA some spoiler in white>>> Here are some randoms thoughts... I didn't get the significance of the two high school friends until the very end when Sarah is explaining to Eddie what happened the day of the accident and why she was even with that older boy. I'm glad they were finally given a reason for being in the story, but I thought they were going to be a much bigger part of the plot.

I thought it was some good trickery that Hannah didn't end up being the one who died in the accident. Obviously we were supposed to think that the whole time through and we were supposed to think it would Eddie that killed Hannah, not Sarah who killed Alex. I did NOT see that coming!

I think Eddie is an incredibly good son and kind to his mother even though she wasn't very kind or considerate of him. I wanted to scream when he caught her reading his letters to his sister! But, it was good she did, so that she knew the truth about Sarah and how it was killing Eddie to be away from her all for his mother's sake. I was also glad to see a tiny concession to talking to Sarah at the very end when the mother thanked her for her grandson.

I know there are many things that weren't very logical, like why Hannah would be mad at Sarah for decades for a mistake and that they couldn't have worked it out sooner, but I know that was like that for plot reasons otherwise you wouldn't be able to think she had been the one who died. Anyway, I was willing to forgive those details in favor of a happy ending. Not sure I would have been willing to forgive someone who was responsible for a siblings death, but I liked how it was written about his panic driving to the hospital to see Sarah giving birth and how that helped him understand her decision to swerve off the road to save her sister.
    <<<end spoilers in white

Ok WOW! I just wrote my own book. Lol. I'm done now. :giggle

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    bellbird and MrsEm like this.
  14. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I really liked this one also =) Great choice!

Karen likes this.
  15. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

@Karen

BTW........->white text
    I thought that maybe Hannah had held a grudge for so long as a displaced and unresolved guilt for her own part in the accident...but yeah...sisters probably don't hold grudges that long.

MrsEm and Karen like this.
  16. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Sounds interesting!

[​IMG]

FarrahJobling and Karen like this.
  17. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

18. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for this book. #11 on the Hold request queue. :waiting

Karen likes this.
  19. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Yay! I’ve only been waiting for my download since August. It finally came today!

Karen likes this.
  20. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I read this in a day too! I couldn't put it down.

White:
    I agree with you @Karen about the switcheroo with Alex and Hannah. I suspected Hannah was alive for a minute but then changed my mind again. I think Hannah blamed her sister for Hannah's own guilt in getting in the car.

The ending didn't sit the best with me. I thought it was really cheap to let us think Sarah was dead for 6 entire book months. Or maybe no one else thought that and I'm super gullible? Lol. Plus I was super disappointed in Eddie for really not contacting her for that long. Then everything tied up so neat and tidy, it was a little TOO perfect for me.

End white.

Regardless, I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads. Great book.

Have we picked books for Jan, Feb, Mar? I guess it's only November still. My brain is already racing ahead to Christmas!

bellbird and Karen like this.