Nov 2021 Book Club - The Underground Railroad

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Voting is complete and we have another batch of great books to read together. Bring on Fall/Winter reading baby! We have four top vote getters so we have new books from September through December 2021. :clappy

The book for November is The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead. Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers. We have a new trick for hiding spoilers. Type whatever you want and then highlight the spoiler portion and click the + button above and select Spoiler.

This is a spoiler...
    Reading is awesome!

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone can read these books at any time and join in the discussion at any time too! The more the merrier! :agree Happy reading!

2. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Wow, some of this book was so hard to read.

>>>>>I was reading this before I added it to the list, so I can't remember names of characters. Cora and Caesar ran away from the plantation where they were enslaved. I think the author's conception of the underground railroad is kind of weird, but it really works. C & C were taken blindfolded to the location and got on the train. I think their biggest mistake was staying so long at their first destination. They felt safe in South Carolina until it was too late. I felt so bad for Cora and all the time she had to spend in the attic, all while listening to all the hate talk in the park. She was lucky to have finally escaped that prison, too. And in the end, she finally found the freedom she was looking for. One surprise ending was learning that when her mother, who escaped while Cora was still a young girl, only made it as far as the swamp just outside the plantation.<<<<<

3. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I read this book when it first came out. I think it's an absolutely brilliant piece of literature deserving all the acclaim it has received.

Karen likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

5. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

6. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I read this one 5 years ago, but did a quick listen these past few days. I appreciated it a lot more this time around. I think I understood the structure and kind of where we were going on this train! I also loved reading up a bit on interviews with Whitehead and his reimagining of the timeline - which was such a genius part of the story. New chapters could be added with events from today that would fit into the narrative of those who were enslaved. Great pick!