NOOOOOO!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by NancyP, Apr 24, 2018.

1. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Went to bring a couple of boxes down to the basement----yeah, that's about 2 inches of water you are looking at!! The whole basement, both rooms!! Daughter and I just finished getting stuff out of the water and putting it on pallets and throwing out everything that was ruined. So-----how was your day???????:badmood

[​IMG]

2. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

:sorry

::hugs for her Nancy!!:: I'm sorry you're going through that! I wish I could help!

I'm working on a nasty headache that will end up forcing me into bed in about an hour or I'll be throwing up all night, but at least sleep will fix that.. I hope everything dries out quickly for you!!!

Here, I'll do the "Dry Quickly" dance for you! :bunny

Did it work?

3. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I am recovering from sun poisoning... a result of spending a few hours outside at the beach last week. We TOOK sunscreen and I completely forgot to use it. :groan

BUT... I think I'd rather be doing that that dealing with a basement flood. I hope you didn't lose anything you cherish and that the problem can be fixed easily.

4. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

OH NO, @NancyP , that is terrible! I'm so very sorry that happened. Big hugs.

And @Serena , LOL re: your dry quickly dance... feel better. I hate headaches!

Serena likes this.
  5. NancyP

Awwwww, that dance was awesome, but sure wish you didn't have to deal with that headache!! And DESI!!! Really??? You forgot to put on sunscreen? Do I have to come out there????? PLEASE take care of yourself. :love

Serena likes this.
  6. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Oh no, Nancy! That's awful! I hope you don't lose anything that is a keepsake.

7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Oh no!! I'm so sorry, Nancy!! I don't have a basement, but I do know quite a few people who have to deal with that every time we get a lot of rain. Hope you didn't have to throw out anything too valuable :(

8. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Flooded basements stink! Sorry you’re dealing with that. Do you know what caused the flood? Hopefully it won’t happen again.

Our water heater got a leak just after Christmas that flooded part of our basement. Luckily I caught it before it got too far and pulled back the carpet and rented some industrial fans to dry everything out. It got one of the cabinets of the wet bar and took several days of running the fans to dry it out. I also bought a moisture meter so I could test everything to make sure it was good and dry. I didn’t want a moldy smelly basement.

9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Ohhhhhh Nancy!!!
    So sorry! Hope nothing damaged was in the heirloom category!!!!

10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

oh dear! it makes cleaning and scrubbing bat poo off the garbage bins this morning seem not such a chore (it's fruit bat season - they congregate in the hundreds and sound like monkeys having a party in the tree next door all night and well, at least it's not 2 inches thick so you win Nancy!

11. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

So sorry Nancy! Not fun at all.

12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Sorry, Nancy. We had two floods in our basement up north and I lost a lot of my stuff. We thought we had it all cleaned up, but mold crept into things we didn't even know about. It's pretty heartbreaking.

13. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@NancyP Oh Nancy, I am so so sorry.. that is horrid. I remember when we had that issue.. it was the washing machine hot water hose that broke and we weren't even using the washer... Dad would turn off the water after using the washer for the next 25 years... we started to get a flood from our washer but caught it before too much damage.. we had a wet dry vac and soaked up tons of water as the water ourput hose popped out .. now I have it in the drain with a towel jammed in so it will not come out again.

Hope you could salvage your precious items and what you needed to throw out wasn't photos or the like. So so sorry you had to go through that.

@Serena - hope you are feeling better now.
    @GlazeFamily3 - Desi, please please please keep a check on that. I had sun poisoning in my youth several times. Keep a check on your moles and skin. 12 years ago I had melanoma and it was caught early. Now I go for yearly checks. Just be very careful. Feel better :)

14. NancyP

Thanks @cfile , Christa! The only thing I lost that hurt was a portion of a box of scrapbooking supplies. The bottom 4th of the box was soaked. I lost the bottom layer of a box of VCR movies (or is it VHS, could never keep that straight!) These were all in the basement waiting for Spring for our yard sale. Landlord is coming today with the shopvac and if I find anything of real value that I lost, I do have renters insurance. About a year ago we had a small water problem and Mike (my landlord---he is a nice guy) put that waterproof stuff around all the pipes so we thought we were set. Have no idea where this water came from. I felt bad calling Mike because I found out he had to put his police dog, Max, down just the night before. When Mike retired from the force 4 years ago, Max retired with him. He was a sweet dog.

15. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Oh No! that is not good at all! My day was a normal day..... I headed to Kroger to return our returnable, many of them were from the past couple of weekends when our children were here for visits and last weekend we were celebrating 3 birthdays so I got $10 back with that. So I headed to the local Quilt shop and bought fabric LOL then on the way home I stopped at my mothers house for a couple hours to visit.

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh yuck Nancy! I'm so sorry you have to deal with that mess! I had an apartment once years ago with a basement and I was all excited to have a place to store stuff... until we had the same thing... just enough water to soak into all of the cardboard boxes we had on the floor. Such a mess! I've since started putting anything that sits on the floor in our current basement into plastic containers... just in case.

17. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Been there, done that. Since this house was turned over to me 25 years ago, I have had 2 times with flooding.

The first was when we had a horrible ice storm in January of 2005 that caused a multi-day power outage. 2 days after the ice storm we had 8 inches of snow. Since there was no electricity, the sump pump could not run. I stayed with friends that had a generator and made trips back home to use buckets to get the water out of the sump pump hole. I bought large garbage receptacles to put the water in. But, if I didn't get back in time, the water would overflow and I have an indoor/outdoor carpet just 6 feet from the hole. My friends power came on before mine so they let me use their generator to get the sump pump running again. I just dumped the water from the garbage cans into the hole a few buckets at a time to empty them!

The second time was a few years later when the sump pump died right after Christmas and I didn't know it for over a day. I don't go to the basement every day and I hadn't realized that I didn't hear it running. Needless to say, about 75% of the carpet was soaked. After the first time, I had moved all scrapbooking supplies to the upstairs and got a lot of stuff off the floor so I really didn't lose anything of importance. I used a wet/dry vac every evening for a week on that carpet.

Oh, I also took pictures and scrapped both events :giggle

18. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

yikes! that is no fun! The only time i dealt with a bit of a flooding basement it was self inflicted ... long story of my own personal stupidity!

i hope the cleanup isn't too bad for you and you didn't lose too much. definitley lots of fans and a dehumidifier! and i second a wet/dry vac. it's tedious but the amount of water it can suck up from carpetting or floors is amazing!

19. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Oh Nancy, I feel your pain! Our cellar (totally not a basement!) always flooded and I never kept anything on the dirt floor. However, since a husband came on the scene, the flooding became more serious as we now have two freezers down there and much of his stuff. Obviously, my engineer couldn't cope with that! We ended up getting $$$ French drains installed and no more flooding! I would not have had the $ to do it so I'm very grateful to know my dirt floor is dry albeit dam without the dehumidifier.

But as for the rest of my life...I very happily had a day that was "pjs all day" because for once I had no need to leave the house. I waited and waited for the rain so the garden could get a soak and I can start to consider (LOL) weeding! So far, I'm still thinking about it...:eyeroll

20. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Oh no, what a mess!! I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again!