Non-digital scrapbooker needs help

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by 8thgypsy, Apr 8, 2022.

1. 8thgypsy

8thgypsy New Member

I have done a few hybrid pages using Lilypad papers and embellishments and have never had a problem figuring out how to use them. Today I was looking to create a 12x12 layout with a grid paper background and purchased PU/CU | Stylin' 296 - Grid Styles from The Lilypad which I thought I could use in PSE to create a small grid (6 lines per inch) on a 12x12 blank. I want a subtle greyish grid on white paper. However, I do not seem to be able to open any of the grid styles that I assumed were what I bought. I'm sure there is a trick to using this but I sure don't know what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

keepscrappin likes this.
  2. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Which version of PSE are you using and is it on windows or mac? Installing styles is a little different for earlier versions of PSE so that's why I ask.

bellbird likes this.
  3. 8thgypsy

8thgypsy New Member

I use PSE 2021 and Windows. Hope that helps.

bellbird and keepscrappin like this.
  4. keepscrappin

This blog post - Loading styles in PS and PSE should help you. The screen will be a little different but the idea is the same. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

bellbird likes this.
  5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

How did you go? I know Leah (Mommyish) has a youtube channel with tips and tricks for some of her styles, it's here https://www.youtube.com/user/leahriordan/videos - i can't find one for the grid style but her channel may help in terms of using styles generally

6. 8thgypsy

8thgypsy New Member

The blog post sure helped and I was able to load the styles - however, once loaded, I opened a sheet of digital paper but, for the life of me, am unable to actually apply the grid to the paper. I tried double clicking - nothing. I tried selecting the grid and found an "apply" option in the grid menu but again, nothing. All I am left with is a blank sheet of paper. I also tried watching the recommended video but I think that is for more advanced users because I could not make head nor tails out of the instructions and just gave up. Now, I just feel stupid and frustrated and am thinking maybe I will just attempt to draw my own grid paper. I have tried searching the internet for printable grid paper but that has also been an exercise in frustration. If "The Lilypad" sells such an animal, I would gladly pay the price.

7. keepscrappin

@8thgypsy
    Don’t give up just yet. One thing I thought of is to make sure you’re in expert mode in the PSE editor. Along the top middle portion of your screen, it should say quick guided expert make sure that EXPERT is selected.

I don’t have this specific product to try it for you, so let’s also tag Leah @mommyish (the designer) to see if she has any ideas.

bellbird likes this.
  8. 8thgypsy

8thgypsy New Member

Thank you so much for continuing to help this inexperienced digital scrapper. I am in "Expert" mode on PSE. Maybe @mommyish can guide me through this.

9. keepscrappin

I have the style now and think I can help you. First thing is to make a copy of your scrapbook paper so you're not overwriting the original. To do this click File, Duplicate, Ok. Close the original paper and make sure you're working on the one that has copy at the end of the file name.

Next you can't apply a style to the background layer because it's locked. To unlock it you will double click on the word background in the layers panel and click ok on the dialog box that comes up. That will rename the background paper layer to layer 0.

grid_style_unlockbackground_web.jpg

Now you will apply the layer style. Make sure you are on the paper layer (it will be highlighted in blue) and then go to the styles panel and double click on the grid style you want. There are both black and white grid line styles in this set, so make sure you select a black style if you're using a white paper so it will show up.

grid_style_applystyle_web.jpg

You will know the style is applied when you see a small fx on the right side of the paper layer.

I did notice that if the layer is empty, it will apply the style but won't show a grid because layer styles are applied to the layer and an empty layer has nothing to apply the style to. So make sure the layer you are applying the style to is filled with a color or a solid paper.

Please let me know how it goes and if you need further assistance. :agree

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    cfile and bellbird like this.
  10. 8thgypsy

8thgypsy New Member

Thank you so much. That worked perfectly. I can now add something new to my arsenal of hybrid options for scrapbooking. You have been most helpful and it is greatly appreciated.

11. keepscrappin

You’re welcome! Glad I could help!

bellbird likes this.