No spend scrappy challenge

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jan 30, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@bestcee that’s a great idea but right now there’s quite a huge gap between what I spent last month and what ideally I’d like my budget - $500 vs $40-60 so it’s a long way off. As far as sales go, it’s really MOC through Love our Designers, Retirement, NSD, DSD that are my big ones plus SOSN. I traditionally don’t buy a lot of new stuff October through December anyway especially if it’s seasonally based - it’s more that first quarter in 2021 was such a budget blow out. I do have my gift certificate from the February monthly challenges which I’m saving up for NSD too.

bestcee likes this.
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

What I have done for years is allot a specific amount from my monthly budget for my scrapping and Kindle books. This amount is deposited into a separate bank account that is where PayPal pulls from. So if the money isn't in there, I can't buy. Some months I spend it and some months I don't. The months with sales do tend to be the months I spend so the money just builds up until then and I don't feel guilty when I do spend it :)

But in the long run, I have gotten to the point that I scrap from my stash and very rarely buy unless it is a kit that I have a specific use for. I'm still finding kits I bought years ago that I never used. My mission is to use them instead of buying new.

wvsandy and bestcee like this.
  3. littlekiwi

@HavaDrPepper unfortunately PayPal uses my visa debit card so it’s attached to my main account otherwise I would so do that.

4. littlekiwi

Progress has been made today, while I was tempted by one template set and a kit, neither was a must have now situation so I’ve wishlisted them both and spent a grand total of $0 during SOSN....most weeks I spend between $5-15.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't know if this is an option with your bank or country, but my bank lets me set up a separate "lunch account" debit card or "online card" (not physical, just digital). It's connected to my bank account, so I can move money over to it, but if it's out of money, it can't be charged. I didn't know mine had it until I saw it mentioned elsewhere and asked. It's a really cool feature!

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

That is what I set up my small bank account for. Luckily, we have a small regional bank that has an account that has no service charges and doesn't earn interest available. That's what I use. Since it is at a completely separate bank I don't have to worry about hacking of my main bank account.

bestcee likes this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yep. This does the same thing, just at the same bank. It's nice, because with the decline in places that want to accept cash, we were able to set munchkin up with one. It doesn't touch our main account at all, he can't overdraw it, and if his number is hacked or stolen, it doesn't affect the main account.

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

I set mine up when I was doing the Financial Peace classes and this is my "slush fund" to use for whatever I want that doesn't have to go in the budget. Also at that time it seemed like PayPal was getting hacked a lot and affiliated bank accounts were wiped out so this account at a separate bank made a lot of sense for me. If it got wiped out, I wouldn't lose that much.

bestcee likes this.
  9. littlekiwi

well this month has been a roaring success in terms of spending.....probably helps I haven't scrapped this month for various reasons but I have managed to get my purchases from about $450-500 which they were in March to $55-60 in April and all it seems to have taken is a little less time spent in the store and a few less sales it seems

bestcee and Angela Toucan like this.