Nikon External Flash

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by Lisa Carroll, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

I would like to get an external flash for my D90. Can anyone recommend a good one? Not sure I want to spend the big bucks, but I do want something that works well and is versatile.

TIA!!

2. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

im in the same boat all my indoor pics have shadows

3. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Have you tried just dialing down your flash? I debated on an external, but I hate the idea of the bulk. And its my understanding that even with an external, if its on top of your camera you still run the risk of getting the shadowed look, just not as bad. I've simply decided to save for a faster lens and not use flash at all. For the times I HAVE to use flash, dialing it down has helped.

4. Lisa Carroll

I need to try dialing down my flash. I bought a faster lens but in my house I still can't take pictures without a flash. There is just no good natural light in this house. I also need to try really turning up the ISO. I always stop at 800 but I think my camera can handle higher ones without too much grain.

5. talktoheather

talktoheather The 102nd Dalmatian.

Hey Lisa!

A good test for your ISO is to take your camera outside tonight (unless it is to cold) and take one shot for each level of ISO. Don't change your aperture or shutter speed (so take it into manual) but start at the lowest and take it all the way to the top, then upload and take a look through your shots. This is a great help to see where you really will be comfortable taking it.

As far as flashes go. I have a SB600 and SB900. The 600 i was able to take out of the box and figure out how to use it right away, but the 900 while i still turn to the manual its more powerful. It also comes with many extra features and gadgets, including a very mini soft box and gels to counter the light temperatures.

Have you ever visited kenrockwell.com? He has a bunch of reviews for all things cameras. Even ISO comparisons and Flash guides. If you live near a local camera shop (and not a big wholesaler) they are great with getting you comfortable with everything.

Good Luck!
    Heather

6. Lisa Carroll

Thanks Heather for all the great info. Definitely too cold right now to go outside, but I think I will try that test when it warms up a bit. Can't wait to check out that site too, I have not heard of it before.

7. Sabrina0268

Sabrina0268 90's music is my fave

I have the SB600 and love it! Super easy to use!

8. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

I have an SB400 (which is little) and an SB600 (bigger). I use(d) both as bounce flashes, adore both of them. I started with the 400 then upgraded to the bigger one, but I still keep the 400 because it's just so dang handy at that size. It's easy to toss in my bag when I don't want to be all "LOOK AT MY GIANT CAMERA" when we're at a kid's birthday party or something.

My SB600 is always on my Nikon. I use it even for daytime shots. Sometimes I even use it outside for shadow fill. The only time I take it off is if I have continuous lights set up, and even then I'll sometimes just bounce it behind me just to avoid taking it off.