Next year?

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by tkradtke, Sep 21, 2015.

1. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

It's so interesting to read what everyone has to say. I have fallen behind this year. I was freaking out about it, but I'm starting to think that it's ok, and that maybe my subconscious is telling me I need a break from keeping up with it all. I made a lot of simplifying moves this year, and will continue to do that next year - the biggest being using ONLY the MPM for the month for each spread. Not having to make those decisions has made life a lot easier.

2. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I like the idea of documenting my life but it's rather boring and sometimes I don't even take a photo in a week. (this is something I work on though) It's this exact reason why I want to do PL: even though I think by life is boring I want to look back at it and remember the little and big things in life.
    I have tried projects like this before and I have never finished. Ugh. I need to simplify but not in a way it gets boring. I need to work with a template but I don't want to be stuck inside that template. I need to keep it simple with the kits I use (I like the idea of only using MPM) but I also want options. I just don't know what works for me but I hope to figure it out and give it another try next year.

3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

That's what I love about project life... it doesn't have to be just the big things. It's a place for random photos that don't really warrant a layout all their own. I'm one of those people who loves to look back on the way "things" used to look like as much as people. I try to take lots of photos of the insides of our favorite places or street corners or even public transportation. You forget how much some of these everyday things change over the years and boring things that you take for granted now, will have more meaning later. In 2010, I attempted a photo a day challenge for the year and sometimes I took, what I thought at the time, were some pretty pointless photos just to have something that day. Now I'm going back and "project life-ing" those photos and those pointless photos are some of my favorites. In one week in 2010, I have random photos of three everyday things that I totally took for granted that no longer exist now... 1) renting a movie at Blockbuster which no longer exists in our area (let alone any video rental store for that matter) 2) the bus stop by our house that we waited at all of the time - that bus route was eliminated a couple years later and 3) the neighborhood burger place which closed last year. Wow, that was a lot of rambling just to say that boring photos are the best! :giggle

As for simplifying... that's something I struggle with. My general formula as far as templates that works for me, is to pick a large template pack from one designer to work with each year... it gives me lots of choices, but not too many choices. As far as kits, I try to work with one per spread (no real mixing and matching from other kits)... lots of elements and extras when I'm feeling creative and simple and straight to the point when I'm not. I've let go of needing an overly cohesive feel to my books. In my head, my template set is what ties it all together.

Definitely give it a go next year! You'll get lots of support here!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  4. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

I love what you said Tracie, about boring photos than in the future have more meaning.

Berniek, if at some point I don't have enough for a weekly spread I would consider monthly, it can be one page or one spread a month or as many as needed. Just a chronological documentation of life.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  5. hclappy

hclappy Active Member

I just had to jump in here because I know you're not boring, silly! I saw your pictures with Minnie Mouse, LOL

But seriously, I totally agree with everything Tracie said. I also started P365 in 2010 and so much in our lives has changed- we've moved trice, changed jobs, traveled, and so so many little boring things too. The only things that are the same are my husband and cat.

When you do a project like this, even just taking more pictures every week, I believe you start seeing the world in a different way. You notice the small everyday things in a new light. Sometimes it helps you gain more gratitude for the life you have. Sometimes it makes you realize you've eaten fast food burgers several times a week for three months... (not that I've ever done that of course) :)

Don't feel the pressure of committing for the whole year, or to any particular format if that intimidates you. Try it for a month or something like that. A lot of people do a December Daily, that might be more doable for you to try out.

6. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

yes - simplify. again. Not sure what that will look like but I love what hclappy said above about seeing the world in a different way - noticing the small everyday things in a new light - gratitude. I need to remember that no matter what else I do~ thanks for sharing!

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  7. AmandaDawnRN

AmandaDawnRN Active Member

I'm only on week 29 now. I don't stress about keeping up as that takes the fun out of scrapping. My book generally gets to print a few months into the next year and I am ok with that. I am generally waiting for a good deal o print anyways.

This year lots of my motivation comes from subscribing to Just Jaimee's Storyteller kit. Her kits make it any to catch up and I can make a very simple and quick page or a more complex page depending on my time and mood.

8. LisaCarroll

LisaCarroll New Member

I switched up my approach for 2015 and it really worked well for me but there are a few things I need to tweak for 2016.

In 2012 - 2014 I used the typical two page {hybrid} pocket spread for each week. 2014 was a very busy and stressful year and I got so far behind. I still have three months to complete. Towards the end of 2014 I started using the Day One app so I could at least get the stories down. I am happy to say that I am still using it and boy does it make things easier. Now I don't have to stress so much when I get behind.

In 2015 I switched to doing all digital pages using some very simple/clean templates. I no longer create pages by weeks, but just fill up as many pages as it takes. My pages are just journaling (copy and pasted directly from the app) and pictures. At the end of each quarter I make a book in Shutterfly. This process has saved me a ton of time and I love how much more manageable the photo books are then those big 12x12 3 ring binders. I am mostly caught up too - just rec'd the third quarter book this weekend.

For 2016 - I would love to find some new templates, but really there is nothing wrong with the ones I have. My major change is going to be paring down the journaling. Right now I am writing something almost every day and half the time it is just mundane stuff about our daily lives....we had this after school activity, we walked the dogs, we went out to eat, we cooked this...it's getting really redundant. I want to just capture the funny stories and the unusual things that happen. So I keep reminding myself that I do not have to write something down about each day. I also need to do better with taking photos.

So that's my plan. I need to get finish 2014 but I think I have forgotten how to scrap that way. LOL.

9. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

In just reading the threads; I would never want to take less pictures. My way is because I think as the memory keepers of our families it is our responsibility to show our future generations what our life was like. I come from a farming community family that worked hard but never stopped to take pictures (granted it would have been film) and Ireally hate that I have no photos of them. With the digital age we are in; we can take numerous photos and just put them on our computer to hand down.

I plan on taking more pictures and definitely documenting the little things that we overlook but later laugh about. An example of something recently was a friend's son asked if she listened to the radio like Ralphie did. That would make a great layout which is what keeping memories is all about.

10. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

I just gotta say, I LOVE seeing so many new faces in here! I'm excited and hopeful that you all jump on board with us for 2016! I think it's great how we can get to know each other better through the stories our pages tell! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's pages for sure!!

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  11. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I still don't know how I am going to do PL for 2016, I live such a boring simple life most of the time on my own that there isn't much to document I don't think now

12. sucali

sucali sucali

I feel a bit "limited" with the pockets but time is "running away"...only a few more days till the new year starts.
    So I will continue doing one page per week plus extra pages for all other pictures/events. I want to use most of my pictures.
    I will go back to a printed photo book instead of having each page printed and put into a PL plastic sleeve...

RebeccaH likes this.
  13. Toria

Toria Active Member

I never thought I would want to do weekly pocket pages, but I have been on top of December Daily this month and I find myself looking at 12/31 and being sad my daily pages will be going away! I have been scrapping completely on my phone (I'm on the Daily Digi creative team, so I did a blog about how I do it with digi supplies if you are interested); so I think the weekly pages will be do-able, with a sprinkling of full page layouts in between.

What sizes do you guys scrap? I was thinking 8x8, that way I could do hybrid for some pages if I want... Any other tips for a noobie Pocket Pager?