Next big trend for 2017?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by jenn33199, Jan 17, 2017.

1. jenn33199

jenn33199 Just point me to the low-carb brownies!

throughout my years scrapping, new trends/techniques have come and (some) gone. What do you think the next big trend is this year?

QuiltyMom likes this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm hoping it's the Pantone color - Greenery! It's pretty.

I like to watch CHA and see what's happening there to see what might come.

What do you think will be the big trend?

RebeccaH and QuiltyMom like this.
  3. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

what was last year's trend? i always feel so out of touch with these things. I almost always fall into step with the fashion trends on their way out. "i'm so last season" or last year, or last decade. :giggle

4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I am so last season as well. There are some I just don't get like the pineapples phase?
    I see things in digi scrapping first and then in decor so what do I know, our designers are usually in tune with trends. Copper and metallics?
    Clothes wise - I still hate leggings as outerwear.

enjoyyourpix and QuiltyMom like this.
  5. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Um, what's CHA? I'm really out of it!

I don't have time to keep up with it all anymore. Usually by the time I like something, it's "old". The only fashion trends I don't get are the tops without shoulders (like sweaters? Seriously?) and this whole lularoe thing. No piece of clothing is worth fighting over or spending days, hours searching for. (My apologies to all lukaroe fans).

Pineapples are always "in" in Virginia and the south (symbol of hospitality), so I never skew they were a thing again. And I agree. Leggings are to be worn around the house or under LONG shirts or sweaters with high boots so you really can't see them. Another reason I just don't get the lularoe craze. Give me jeans or cords and a sweater any day!

RebeccaH, enjoyyourpix and klee73010 like this.
  6. QuiltyMom

It's hard to say about what will be the next big scrapping thing. I can't imagine anything new, anyway. There's so many great ways to scrap nowdays, and that's great! But anything new would be fun!

7. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

well, goonies, I am usually a few steps back from the "in". Goodness, I just discovered washi tape this year.
    Paper scrapping seems to pull the trend, and we of digi just perfect it! bhahha
    I see a whole lot of Antique french fabrics
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    and steampunk (which makes me happy) and reverse image
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I think we will see more camo in different colors..it is huge here!

[​IMG]

QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

oh boy.... Hmmmm... I'll have to think!?

I loved when chevrons came out, I still love them. So, I think the geometric shapes and fun will continue.

I also love the Pantone color for 2017, like Courtney. It's so fresh and clean. I figure that will lend to outside moments, and experiences.

bestcee and enjoyyourpix like this.
  9. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I'm not a trendy person. I've always been a "ME" and just like and do what I like/love. I don't follow trends for anything. Fashion, music, home decor....blah, I just like what I like and that's it! ROFL

lancene likes this.
  10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

So @AnneofAlamo you think steampunk is being revived? I rarely used any of it first time round...but what years WAS that? Otherwise, I have No Idea. I finally just buy what I like not what's everywhere. I still hat...er dislike...owls.

RebeccaH likes this.
  11. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Pineapples must be a thing. Second time today I read about them on social media

Although my kids sing this pineapple song:
    I don't get it.

MandaKay and jk703 like this.
  12. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I love steampunk @cookingmylife for two reasons, I love depth in my art journaling and the gears and such are just fun to play with..and
    I have 5 boys, and steampunk things work really good for them, especially as they go into teen years..
    and owls, I only like them in videos, not on my pages!

RebeccaH likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Craft and hobby association. It's when the paper world shows off new collections at their trade show. It's coming up in a week or so?

QuiltyMom likes this.
  14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Oh goodness... this was going around. My boys and I crack up mostly, once we hear it, and give each other a look! You will hear Cackles, giggles and singing when we hear the word Apple... or Pineapple in random conversations during homework usually.

15. jenn33199

jenn33199 Just point me to the low-carb brownies!

Pineapples? Lularoe? Pantone?
    I know what pineapples are (and will listen to the video once I'm home!)...can someone help with the rest?

Would love to see more steampunk.

Past "trends" I remember- extracting on EVERY page (a good extraction is still great, but I remember when every page posted seemed to be a "fantasy" page with an extracted child.) 3D Alphabets. Hmmm. Journal cards came out at some point. Like them, but use them rarely. Chevrons- yes. Love them in limited amounts. Gold. Lots of gold. I still like it- in limited amounts. What else am I forgetting?

16. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Yep, I am right there with you! NEVER follow trends. If I like it, I use it or wear it. When I was in Interior Design in Forida and the trend was turquoise, peach and mauve, I use to say I would puke if I did ONE MORE turquoise, peach, mauve home!!!! They ALL wanted the same colors!!! Be different!!! Stand out!!!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  17. QuiltyMom

I really need to get his outfit so I can wear it and dance around the next time I'm out somewhere with my kids. Just to embarrass them, ya know?
    Lularoe is a direct sell clothing company that specializes in themed-print leggings (and other clothing). People will go to the ends of the earth to get a specific pair/print, and pay any price. Any price. Then they get holes after one or two wearings, from what I understand.
    Pantone is a company that is the global industry standard for color. You can go into any color/paint store in the world and say, I want Pantone XXXX, and they'll mix/match it for you. They also choose the "color(s)" of the year, and this year it's a gorgeous green.
    And I don't get the pineapples thing, either, except that I love to eat them!

jk703 likes this.
  18. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

PS. CHA changed the name of their show for this year - Creativation - and it's in Phoenix. I wish I had known they were doing that so I'd had enough time to save up for it. I sooooooooo would have gone. oh well. Maybe next year?

19. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I had no idea, I would have considered it too. I guess I am really out of touch with "tangible" crafts.

klee73010 likes this.
  20. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

It starts tomorrow! I have a few layouts in the Lawn Fawn booth this time around. :)

I've been to the show for the past several years (even dating back to when they had both summer and winter shows and they were just called the CHA Trade Show and not Creativation) with a press pass, but I am so out of that loop now!

Honestly, at last year's show my best crafty friend and I both agreed that there weren't really any big trends like there had been in the past. Part of the reason for that is that the number of paper manufacturers has seriously dwindled, and the other is that the brands have all really started playing to their own strengths instead of following trends. It was actually really refreshing to see! With some of the major players like Basic Grey gone and American Crafts buying up everyone in sight, it's made room for a lot of smaller boutique brands and has actually diversified things a bit. I've also seen paper companies reaching out to digital designers to create collections.

cinna, Karen and bestcee like this.