New Skill | Pad Patter 9.29

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Sep 29, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

If you could pick up a new skill in an instant, what would it be?

My son was talking about how he wished he could just absorb new skills by watching a video or someone do it last night. I thought that would be so cool! Could you imagine all the scrapping skills? Computer skills? Life skills? Just by watching a video!

Me? I think I'd like the ability to play piano. I'd love to be able to sit down and play fantastic piano music.

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Honestly it would be New Zealand Sign Language but I know that will take a physical class, time and money for that so for now its a dream though thanks to the pandemic there are more virtual classes (that still take time and money) if I wanted to learn virtually. I am someone that prefers to learn in person but will refresh their learning by further reading or watching videos but for the initial learning process of something so intense it needs to be in person.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Ability to play the piano or guitar ... maybe the guitar as I don't have a piano or room for one in my house. :)

4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I wish I could sew. I have friends that make their own clothing, lots of decorating things around the house, and I am so envious of their talent. I've tried a few classes here and there but realized that it just wasn't going to be for me.

AJK and Memaw2Wm like this.
  5. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I used to sew all the time as a girl and a young wife/mother. Now I just repair stuff. Sewing requires time, patience and practice. I do need to sit down and finish sewing my live-in granddaughter's Girl Scout badges and patches on her vest ... never mind that she'll be 25 in November. LOL!!!

6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I took lessons and played the piano in my younger days. It still sits on the same wall but is sadly out of tune since it hasn't been played for many years. I have a sentimental feeling about it though (long story).

As for a skill, I've tried over the years to learn to knit and have only been able to get the knit and purl stitches "down". But I would love to pick it up more quickly than I did by watching videos.

7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I would love to instantly learn several languages. I'm a polyglot wannabe! LOL

Serena and Donitab like this.
  8. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Playing the guitar! And then I'd start my own punk rock band- :tu

9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I would love to be fluent in sign language. I've taken a couple of courses and know a little, but I would love to be at interpreter level!!

10. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Since moving to Florida 2 years ago, I decided that I should learn to speak and understand the Spanish language. But at my age, it's hard to learn something new. I keep trying, but I have not learned anything.

11. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I think I would choose a foreign language as well. Just think of the places you could travel and be able to communicate freely.

Donitab likes this.
  12. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I am all for learning Spanish,it is a beautiful language.
    And it would be a great skill to type (and spell ) really fast, and to speed read. Think of all the extra books there would be time for....

Donitab likes this.
  13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@bcgal100 My Mom taught me to sew starting in 4th grade. Then later came Home Ec. I do a little now and then, but after so many years, it is tedious to make clothing, so I mostly use the machine for textile art works.

@Nemla Spanish is EASY to learn, as the vowel sounds do not change, they remain consistent. So once you can say them properly, you can pronounce words correctly. There are lots of Spanish learning videos on Youtube. Go for it!!! :tu

@IntenseMagic Oh, you and me both! I actually took the course TWICE in college- never managed to get more than a few words, lol.

I would LOVE to learn how to properly spin Art Yarns. I haven't mastered my Turkish drop spindle, nor my spinning wheel, YET!!:think

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Definitely singing.

I love to sing but I'd love if other people loved me singing, too. :giggle

Serena, Memaw2Wm and Donitab like this.
  15. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

Omg! Everything! Languages, drums, quilling, sewing, all the crafts, I want to do it all...anything diy I love!

Serena likes this.
  16. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

This has been one of mine for such a long time! I love singing and do it all of the time and have always wished that I could sit down play piano and sing at the same time!

bestcee likes this.
  17. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Learn Spanish for me - I can speak it a little but I just had no idea how hard learning a new language was. I have more respect for those who have English as a second language even if they are not very good at the grammar and pronunciation. At least they are trying to speak it.

bestcee likes this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

For fun - i agree, piano, so much actual practice involved in any musical instrument. For useful skill, i think learning Mandarin would be the most useful.

If wishes were horses, is ability to mind read a teachable skill? Or maybe ability to communicate with animals...
    [​IMG]

19. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

20. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

I've always wanted to play the guitar!