New Laptop / New PSCC

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by chickypow, Sep 3, 2016.

1. chickypow

chickypow All I need is my gun, and my blankie

Ahhhhhh.....I got a new laptop,
    laptop.PNG

Plus Now I have windows 10 AND photoshop CC. So I feel like I'm learning EVERYTHING all over again! Seriously. I have no idea how to use any of it. For example as I'm typing my screen keeps zooming in and out and I have idea why.

As for photoshop CC......any tips or tricks??? What do you love about it that CS5 or 6 didn't have? Anything that took awhile to find? Any thoughts or anything? hahah. So far I find it is very small. Like the icons and user interface is tiny so it's harder to see things.

I feel like a total newbie to everything right now. Windows 10 is soooo different and I can't find anything!

gonewiththewind and jenn mccabe like this.
  2. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Don't have that, but I bet the zooming in and out is the touchscreen. Be careful not to be touching the right click and using the "mouse" at the same time. It takes a lot of getting used to. You can check and see if their is a sensitivity control for the touchpad to make it a little better.

chickypow likes this.
  3. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I don't know anything about Windows since I'm a Mac, but I do love PS CC. It has spell check!! I made the move after using PSE and they are very similar.

chickypow likes this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

wow, that is a BEAST!!!!

chickypow likes this.
  5. chickypow

It IS!!! I need it for work so the added bonus is I get to use it for scrapping lol

bestcee likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I have major RAM envy :giggle. I don't have any tips or tricks for you since I still use CS6, but I hope you totally enjoy it!!

chickypow likes this.
  7. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Congrats!! I was just going to tease you on Facebook about being MIA around here. :) Glad you got a beast to keep you scrapping!

chickypow likes this.
  8. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

yea if touch pad on while typing, it will do that, my laptop has a function key to enable disable as needed

chickypow likes this.
  9. chickypow

You were totally right. I don't really like how the touch screen is positioned, it's extra big and hard to type without touching it some how.

carilyne likes this.
  10. chickypow

I know!!! This summer has been INSANE. Like some HUGE things have happened....I'll so post about it when everything is finalized, but if everything comes together it's a life changer for DH and I and our family. Finally things have calmed down and now it's just waiting. So scrappy time!!!! With this beast of a machine lol

bestcee, kimingvtx and scrapsandsass like this.
  11. chickypow

I'm going to have to search around for that....would be super handy as I prefer using my mouse!

12. chickypow

I think I'm kinda settling in...everything seems so small compared to CS5 that I was using. Like all the icons and stuff. And now I have to transfer all my actions and styles from my old laptop but I'm so enthralled with my new one that I keep putting off powering up my old one lol

13. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I'm new to CC too, and I also switched from Windows to Apple so I so understand the annoyance!
    I don't have any tips yet, but I very much like the adding stuff by dragging it into the screen option. Like, instead of 'place' an item, I can now just drag it from my Finder folder.

But I HATE the save-for-web function! It's under File > Export > Save for web. The images are much less quality now then when I used that function in CS5...

14. chickypow

It took me forever to find it!!! I haven't noticed a loss in quality but then I've only done 1 LO....that sucks!! I'll be paying attention to that

15. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

The shortcut is ctrl + shift + alt + s. BUT...Make your own shortcuts!!! That's my biggest tip for new photoshop users! Go to: EDIT - Keyboard Shortcuts (or Alt+Shift+Ctrl+K). Think of things you do EVERY time- I made my own flatten, warp, save, etc shortcuts. If the shortcut you are making is already used- it will prompt you. If it's for something that you'll never or rarely use- swap them! :) Shortcuts in general make scrapping SO Much faster! Same with actions!

I think my favorite thing about CC is the Glyphs panel for the fun alternates! Also- you can customize the font size of your menus & icons & stuff so if they seem small- you can make them larger.

Also- I'm looking at a laptop for my birthday/christmas- your's looks FAB!!! Do you rec Gaming computers for scrapping (similar graphics/storage/ram etc right?) Thanks!

16. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I have a gaming laptop for my scrapping and the performance is superior, not sure if it is just the speedy graphics card or if the extra RAM has an effect too.

chickypow and amien1 like this.
  17. chickypow

How do I make my menus and stuff bigger? I haven't been able to find it and it's driving me nuts!

I chose a gaming computer for the dedicated graphics card. I need one of those for work and hey....the added benefit to scrapping is a good thing!!

amien1 likes this.
  18. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Wow! What a beastie beasterson of a machine! I have an ASUS gaming desktop and it's been the absolute best workhorse.

As far as setting up your space, check out tutorials by Julianne Kost. She has video tutorials on YouTube. You will want to search for customizing workspace or beginner tips. That should get you started!

amien1 and chickypow like this.
  19. chickypow

I think it's a combo of both. The extra RAM helps PS run smoother I think and the heavy duty graphics is really amazing to work with.

20. chickypow

AWESOME!!! Thanks so much! I feel like I need glasses cause everything is so tiny and I have a 17.3" screen lol

gonewiththewind likes this.