New here with questions

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by Karen Emily, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Karen Emily

Karen Emily Member

Hi all!
    I am new here. I am mainly a paper crafter and card maker who wants to start a pocket/ project life style scrapbook. I LOVE the things in the store, but am I going to be able to print them to use with my paper? What should I look for as I shop for digital products that I can print? I have the project life app, will things I purchase here work with the app? And my biggest question, is it ok to start now and what do I do about the first part of the year that I probably don't have pictures for?

Thanks!
    Karen

2. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Hi Karen, welcome!
    Tagging Tracie, I think she's around today. @tkradtke

tkradtke likes this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

First of all, welcome to TLP!

And secondly...Yeah, I'm going to tag @KatrinaHunt13 because she does hybrid pages (not PL, but she can answer your printing questions, I bet). :) As for what to do: I say start PL right now. And if you don't have photos for earlier in the year, that's okay. Just make those journal-heavy pages, or use journal cards in place of photos.

4. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Hi Karen! Welcome!

Thanks for tagging me Jess @jesskab, I'm around and avoiding other projects I should be working on :giggle

YES!! Super easy to do too.

Starting with project life/pocket scrapping, I would look at the pocket cards in the store (pocket scrapping category). Look for sets that say that they include a printable PDF of the cards if you want to print everything in the set... if you want to pick and choose which ones you want to print, you can use photoshop to combine just those onto a page to print.

Yes! I'm not as well versed on this topic as some... but from what I remember, you can use the cards you buy here in the store as "photos" when doing your pages in the app. I can find some links for you if you're interested.

Yes! :-) It's your project and you can do it/start it whenever you like. Starting September 1st, would make this book the last third of 2018 which is a good place to start. If you want to go back and include things from January 1st, I wouldn't get too caught up in a two page spread per week... one page per week is good too. I personally gave up on the two page spread per week idea a couple of years ago and now just add a week # card to separate weeks wherever they may fall on the page.

I would be happy to answer questions as you have them and when you get a chance, check out the project life forum here to get some ideas. We all do things a little differently and it's fun to see what everyone does for inspiration! (Edited because I just realized that this post is in the Project Life forum... I found it through my notifications and wrongly assumed this was in the welcome forum... oops!!).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    EminePala_Art and jesskab like this.
  5. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

OH fun!!! @tkradtke does wonderful pocket pages!! Pretty much anything in here, you can print!

Do you use PSE or PS? You can always use the paints/brushes to put on before printing out your cards, paper, etc! So don't think those you cannot use. I love using them this way, because then I am not messing up a background that took me hours to do!

Start when you start and don't worry about time frames. I basically scrap whatever I feel like whenever I want! So yes, you can start in the middle of the year! And here is a though, if you want your book to start in January, just do a partial one now and then start the big one in January!

Paper, figure out what paper works best for your printer! I use Epson printers and have used Epson papers in the past, but came across Red River paper and love it. Plus, I have a wide format printer and they have paper that comes in 12x12 size. They do have a sample pack the you can order to figure out what paper you like. I like the Linen for my pattern papers and the Polar Matte for doing print and cut in my Silhouette.

What else do you want to know?!! Welcome!!!!

6. Karen Emily

Karen Emily Member

I have PS. with a very limited understanding of it. SO far I've been playing this afternoon and made several custom filler and journaling cards. I'm starting with my first week back to work (pre school teacher) and we moved my oldest to college that week. I'll figure out how to post it when I get it done. :)

bestcee and KatrinaHunt13 like this.
  7. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Welcome, Karen! You've had some good input already for hybrid workflow. I just wanted to add that with the exception of some template, most everything in the store can be imported and used in the Project Life app.

Also, we do have a special collection for pocket scrappers called Memory Pockets Monthly. It comes with PDFs for easy printing of the cards and flat elements. It's available a la carte or with a subscription:
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/Memory-Pockets-Monthly/

Have fun - can't wait to see your work in the gallery!

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  8. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

I have a youtube channel that is just getting going and am hoping to share how I do things for hybrid. One of my goals is to share how to do things in PS to incorporate into hybrid. Note- I have limited PS knowledge also, so it won't be over anyone's head, that's for sure!!! LOL

The most important thing is the layers. Once I got the "work layers individually like they are their own project" then everything started clicking!!!

Karen Emily likes this.
  9. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

first of all WELCOME!!!!! Second I don't know anything about PL but just wanted to say.....

[​IMG]

Karen and cfile like this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Cherylndesigns and Karen Emily like this.
  11. Soco

Soco Shhhhhh. Just shhhhhh.

Hi Karen! Welcome again!

As the girls said, you can use any of our cards on the PL app. I'm a big PL app user myself, so if you have any questions about how to do it, feel free to ask! :bk

12. Karen Emily

Karen Emily Member

Thank you so much!! I am LOVING this hybrid pocket scrapping thing. I'm kind of fumbling my way through it right now. LOL... I already see that I'm going to need LOTS of kits from the store. ;)

bestcee and Soco like this.
  13. Soco

Soco Shhhhhh. Just shhhhhh.

lol! That's the danger! :giggle But it's for a good cause! :cheer I'm happy you're enjoying it!

14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Welcome to doing your own version of Project Life. Any way you like is 'the only rule' and finding a method YOU like is what matters. While I've used Mommyish's Template Maker to create a few templates kind of based on the original designs, I don't use rounded corners and I put a patterned border round the whole page. That keeps it interesting to me since I've done a lot of years and they pretty much are the same except for the papers and a minimum amount of elements. That works for me. Another one of my quirks is that I usually erase the lines on journal cards cause I can't be bothered to adjust the printing. I'm strictly digital but that's just how I roll! :compcoffee

15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz