Neighbors | Pad Patter 11.8

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Tree City, Nov 8, 2018 at 9:37 PM.

1. Tree City

Tree City I'm such a bad eugoogoolizer

I am on the newly-formed HOA board for my neighborhood. ("HOA" stands for "Home Owners Association.") We aren't a huge neighborhood, but we want to be able to keep our open spaces looking nice and have our roads plowed--our county doesn't have enough trucks to plow neighborhoods, so they're in charge of it on their own. The issue is that some of people seem to want to be very strict, but some people (myself included) don't, lol.

Being on the HOA is, I'm quickly finding out, stressful. The good news is, I'm already friends with over half the people on the committee and I'm acquainted with all but 3 people. And I really like those 3 people I met tonight. Everyone was respectful of each other and listened to their ideas. And I'm sure I'll get to know more of my neighbors through this association.

My big meeting with (some of) my neighbors got me thinking: do you know your neighbors? Are you friendly with them? I am very good friends with my former across-the-street neighbor; she was the first person to introduce herself to me when we moved into our rental (then we bought a house down the street). She was at the meeting tonight, actually. And I love love love our current next-door neighbors on both sides. We hang out, and sometimes we just chat while outside. One neighbor has said "I'm bothering you!" when I'm out gardening. Are you kidding?! I'll take chatting with her while weeding over NOT chatting while weeding! :) So what about you? I do hope you have a good relationship with your neighbors, even if you aren't Friends with that capital F. We had a nasty neighbor in a former home, so perhaps our current neighbors are even more of a blessing because we know what having a bad one is like, ya know?

2. A-M

A-M Swirling & twirling in my red petal skirt

Living in a small country town ( 1500 population ) is far different than where we lived 5 years ago ( 100,000 population). Everyone ( most ) are so very friendly. We know the neighbours closest to us to a certain extent. Across the road keep to themselves. We have an elderly lady diagonally opposite who we keep an eye on - we are first contact for the Telecross organisation to phone if she does not answer her phone when they ring to check on her each morning. We help out the neighbour north of us at times a she is a lady on her own and the neighbour south of us is the nurse who possibly saved my husband's life when he had his heart attack last year ( she gave him an asprin while we waited for the ambulance).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 12:45 AM
    Tree City likes this.
  3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom Practically Perfect in Every Way

We're also in a small townhouse development/HOA. Over half of the units are owned and the rest are rentals. I love our neighborhood because for the most part people get along. The home next door has been a rental for as long as we've lived there, and thankfully every one of the renters have been wonderful. The other house is a short-term rental while the family is out of town for work, and the family next door has been amazing. While I don't see many people very often it's always nice to see them, and when the kids were young they played with the other kids. Living here is the only thing I like about being in Northern Virginia, otherwise it's crazy land.

Tree City likes this.
  4. tkradtke

tkradtke Smokin' the place up

City people seem to stay out of everyone else's business more than when we lived in the suburbs. When we lived in the suburbs of Dallas, I knew all of our neighbors and the kids all played together, but there was a lot more nosey-ness and neighborhood gossip going on (but we never really had bad neighbors). Now, here in Chicago, everyone just seems to coexist without mixing much. We have lived in this house five years now and I know two people on our street (our immediate neighbors to the west and our kids' former Sunday School teacher who lives down the block) and our neighbors behind us. The house to the east is a three unit rental that turns over frequently. We do know the owner though as he used to live there. I can recognize a few more neighbors, but there are quite a few rentals and smaller condos on our block which change tenants often. Plus they're mostly 20 somethings which don't have much interest in hanging out with us :giggle Apparently the rental unit that was torn down when they built our house was notorious for having horrible tenants who hosted raging parties... so anything we do is better than what went on before!

Tree City likes this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee No pictures? Use your imagination!

We joke around here that no one wants to know their neighbors!
    The garage doors go up...the car pulls in...the garage doors go down.
    [​IMG]

I do know some of my neighbors. At least enough to give a friendly hello and watch to make sure no one suspicious is in our neighborhood or stealing packages. And on Saturdays, their kids come over and play basketball on our hoop. So....50/50?

Tree City likes this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns It's a great day to have a great day!

We live in a beautiful gated community of older people and it's pretty quiet in here. The problem is, there are quite a few "snowbirds" in this area too, so they're only here in the winter and then leave in early spring. We also live in a golf community - our house isn't ON the golf course, but the people on the other side of the street back up to it. The people who live here all year are very nice for the most part, and the snowbirds pretty much play gold all day, hang at at the club house and keep to themselves. Our neighbors on each side are snow birds and one couple are sweethearts and the others are pretty grumpy. We're made some good friends who we enjoy and they all love that our 7 year old grandson lives here now. They're all crazy over him. One of them even invited him to a dinner party recently. I thanked her, but politely declined her sweet invitation. But that's just how they sweet are. I think a lot of them miss just having kids around. Our daughter is a nurse and she's been across the street helping the elderly lady a few times. She sees Dee (our neighbor) out there having trouble doing something and she'll walk over and start kidding with her and help her out. It's a beautiful and quiet neighborhood, though.

Tree City likes this.
  7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We live in a gated community & have a pretty strict HOA. I have ZERO desire to be on the board, but I am a moderator of our HOA fb page. The sad thing is that we have 99% really good, respectful nice neighbors but of course we have the 1% that are not. One guy is just a pot stirrer & purposely taunts people & is just a jerk. I've heard he might be moving- that would be so awesome! ;) I know a lot of our neighbors, as we have been here since the community started basically. Now they are up on top of the hill doing the 3rd phase & houses are selling for crazy amounts- works well for our equity! There is a group of us ladies that get together a few times a year & do crafty projects! Plus there are TONS of kids & that's helpful if I need a sitter for just a half hour or something!

Tree City likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic my house is protected by killer dust bunnies

I have lived in the same subdivision for about 28 years, I know quite a few of the people here but not well. I do know my closest neighbors because we have all been here 20+ years and watched each other's kids grow up. Oh and my sister, she lives here, too lol. We used to be really good friends with our next door neighbors years ago, we'd hang out, play cards, watch each other's kids...but they divorced and moved away. I don't even want to get started on our HOA. Our current president makes me say bad words. He is such an arrogant jerk. When there is an issue, he won't just come and discuss it like a civil person, he comes and berates you like he's scolding a child. Just seeing him makes my blood boil. We have issues with the hill to our house being properly cleared in the winter, to the point we've been stuck for a week or more, and I've already decided that if that happens this winter I will burn his phone up. I've never complained about anything, but he's made me that mad :giggle

Tree City likes this.
  9. jk703

jk703 Polly Pollyana

I'm lucky. When we bought our first house, we needed to be near the train, as I was commuting to NYC. We moved into a townhouse complex. HOA was to be desired. BUT... the neighbors were awesome! We all hung out, played poker, BBQ'ed and so much more. It was the best first neighborhood experience. We have since moved, and most of the other families moved also. One is still there, and I see them often. I've made lifelong friends.

Our newest neighborhood almost wasn't to be, lol! We were undecided between two houses. Our close friends (my sorority sister) from college lived in one neighborhood, but the house was super tiny (our townhouse was bigger), good property, and this town had the better schools. The other had the bigger property/house, nice dead end street, pool, and a decent school system. We ended up choosing the better schools as that was the main reason why we were moving - so we are even closer with our friends from college. Ended up being a win/win. :)

Our neighborhood is turning over. When we moved in everyone was older and kids grown. I've always had 2-3 families that we regularly hung out with, kids cover a huge age range. Slowly, over the last 6 years, we are getting younger families! It's been great! A recent addition has turned out to be fantastic, and perfect for my boys. I'm crossing my fingers we will get more people sooner rather than later, so the kids can all go to school together for a number of years. Right now, a house is across the street for sale. :)

10. Tree City

When I read that last year, I got chills...and it happened again last night when I read your post, Anne-Marie. It is wonderful how you two and your neighbors all look out for each other. It seems like such a trivial thing to say "Do you know your neighbors?" but you showed how it can be quite a big deal to pay attention and to have people around you whom you can rely on.

Yeah...I feel very similar about where I live, except it's a very odd mix of "crazy land" as well as "BORING land." :giggle Driving on I-95 is nusty-cuckoo, but where I live is so suburban that it borders on rural. It feels like if I didn't like my neighbors, then I'd have basically no one to talk to because there is nowhere else to meet people. (I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had a job or something, ya know?)

See, that's what two people on the HOA need to understand: we have to coexist. I had a big paragraph written out, but suffice to say that there are 2 board members who seem confused about that.

First off...IDK why, but that gif is extremely satisfying to watch. But back to the topic at hand! :) It's great that you are friendly with your neighbors, esp. considering the fact that it gets so hot where you live so I doubt people hang outside very often. (Fewer chances to get to know your neighbors, ya know?)

A-M and QuiltyMom like this.
  11. Tree City

Oh, I didn't think about that! I bet the neighborhood feels more "buzzing with activity" in the summer, huh? That's fun!

Oh, that darn 1%! Funny enough, I don't exactly "want" to be on this board, but I feel like the other homeowners need a level-headed, impersonal board member. (It's a long story, but our soon-to-be HOA has been about 20 years in the making, so there are some hurt feelings and outright anger from long-time residents toward one another.) As a newbie, I don't have any personal baggage about this HOA or about deed restrictions; I just have a need to keep our neighborhood's roads plowed and our storm drains clog-free. Maybe that could be my slogan: "Here to help you, not to yell at you!"

See my slogan above. :giggle But seriously, what a stinker! He needs to know what's going on with that hill and he better take care of it!

It's awesome that you picked the right house for your family! :) And I'll cross my fingers that the house across the street sells to a friendly family! Or, if they don't have kids the same ages as yours, I hope they're at least nice and friendly!

amien1 and jk703 like this.
  12. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

My parents built my house in 1965. The subdivision was less than 10 years old at the time. No HOA. I actually think there are no HOA's in my small town at all... NICE!

This subdivision is one of the most wanted places to live. It is weird because even though we are closer to city center than some areas, we are not in the city limits. We are the responsibility of the township we are located in as far as snow removal. And, might I say "they rock" compared to the city! My town has its own electric department (they buy from other electric utilities though) so I do have city services. We pay a small surcharge for those services though. This last year when houses have come up for sale, it doesn't take long for them to sell. Only the really old, small houses with no basements seem to take longer but do eventually sell.

As for my neighbors, the neighbor behind me was my classmate and lived in that house when growing up as well. She bought her sister's half of the house when her father died. So I've known her a long time. We don't hang out although we are friendly if we see each other. The neighbors to my east are great. I get along with them but since they are younger with kids, I don't hang out with them. The husband helped me clean out my basement this summer. Wouldn't take payment but I let him put stuff in the dumpster as well. The neighbor across the street is another great neighbor. He mows my lawn and plows my driveway of deep snow. I pay him for lawn services, he won't accept payment for snow removal. Many times these 2 neighbors have used my driveway when they had family get-togethers with my permission. All I ever asked was leave me room to get out if I needed to. I have talked with the neighbors to my west a few times. They are younger with small children but I know the guy's parents... went to school with them. Their house is not that close because the family that built it in the early 60's bought the lot behind the house (which is right next to me) so no one would be right next to them. The grandson added on to the house and extended the house into the lot... so that lot is forever with that house which gives me a buffer. The reason my parent's bought this lot to build on was because of that!

For the most part, the neighborhood is friendly. A lot of people walk in this neighborhood even though we have no sidewalks. It has no thru street so most traffic is from people that live here or are visiting. I have stopped and talked to many different people when taking a walk. When my cousin wanted to downsize, she wanted this neighborhood and luckily she got it. She has been very welcomed by all her neighbors, many of which I know as well. She loves it here and so do I!

Tree City likes this.
  13. BevG

BevG Reformed trickster!

We live in the city limits, but near a big forest that Duke University owns, so we have lots of trees, deer, hawks, and other wild life. We do have a HOA but they are very chill unless you are trying to build a shed in your backyard or something. We do know our neighbors and do help from time to time, but we don't hang out. We have many dog walkers and that is for sure how I see and know most of my neighbors. We have very few kids in the neighborhood or so it seems, but since our youngest is almost 17, that is okay.

Tree City likes this.
  14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I only know the next door neighbors and the ones across the culdesac.. both young couples with little ones. Both very sweet.. the rest of the neighbors on the street we say hello but that is about it. My Hubby will help the neighbors with trimming of their bushes etc., and we are lucky during the Jan snow storm we had with almost 3 feet of snow, the dear neighbor acrossed the culdesac did most of our driveway for my husband as he knows my husband has a bad back and we are really much older than they are :) It was so nice. We are in an HOA but don't go to any of the meetings.. they have a clubhouse with parties etc. for the various holidays, but we have been here 19 years and have never gotten involved with the HOA other than paying the yearly fee. We are in a military area as well as a resort area, so many houses on the block are rental properties so I really wish the HOA would enforce some things as there are a few neighbors that do not take care of the front yard too well. I don't like to cause trouble so I will not say anything but it annoys me that we pay these crazy fees and not everyone is keeping things nice like they are supposed to. Our culdesac is well taken care of... of the 6 houses only 1 is rental, and the new renter is wonderful so at least when I look out the window I am not horrified!! LOL For the most part everyone is nice since I walk / run in the mornings M-F when the neighbors are leaving for work and school.. they all wave and some talk to me.. it is nice though.

Good luck Sara @Tree City wth being on the HOA committee :) When we first moved in back in 1999 we were given a basket of goodies from the HOA welcoming us to the neighborhood. It was really sweet :)

Tree City likes this.
  15. michelepixels

michelepixels Perfectly happy smack in the middle

I also live in a neighborhood with an HOA. It's very annoying because it has been somewhat strict, sending us warning letters if we skip a few weeks mowing our lawn or for not painting our mailbox post. I don't care about matching mailboxes and I prefer a more natural landscape so I don't feel I'm getting anything for our HOA fee. We don't have a pool or anything like that; our common area at the front just has a few benches and, added just a couple years ago, a fire pit and picnic table.

They have made some attempt to set up some neighborhood events. We've always had two community yard sales every year in May and September, and in recent years there have been a couple of movies on an inflatable screen in the common area and roasting hotdogs and such. My family was among no more than 10 that ever showed up for those events. We have over 200 houses here.

I know my immediately adjacent neighbors. The ones on the left side are introverts, I think; I hardly ever see them. There's an older couple across the street who have been our friendliest most helpful neighbors, the ones I inform when we go on vacation. And the right side neighbors -- well, many years ago they let me use their phone when my toddler son managed to lock us out of the house while we were decorating for halloween, but the mean things have far outweighed the nice. Like the time, when I was carrying my newborn daughter, the man knocked on my door, pointed at the newspapers blowing out of my recycle box by the street, into the gutter 75 feet below my house, and then he walked away, back to his house. And a couple of years ago he caught me in my front yard photographing a flower, pointed at his vehicle onto which he had painted derogatory anti-Hillary words, and said, "Why don't you photograph that?" (It was a couple weeks before the 2016 election and I had a Hillary sign on my lawn.)

Ugh, isn't it awful how the ugly stuff sticks out in memory? I should make a scrapbook page about how kind and friendly our neighbors across the street have been. When Rhiannon was little she was attracted to the little bridge they built across their gutter and she'd toddle over there. Then Betty would invite us inside for a chat. So of course my extroverted daughter was even more eager to do that on several more occasions, which was a little challenging for my introverted heart, but for which I'm grateful. Having kids has often helped me reach out to other people, because it's for them instead of for myself. :heartlub

norton94 and Tree City like this.
  16. carrie1977

carrie1977 Dreaming of coffee and a book on the beach!

Yes, absolutely. We have had the same neighbors on all sides of us for almost 15 years. Our kids have grown up together. They are the kind of neighbors you can beg for eggs and sugar :giggle , look out for each other's kids and homes, etc. We love our neighbors.

Tree City likes this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns It's a great day to have a great day!

Sarah @Tree City yes, it's a different world when they're not here. Much more laid back. Haha We can get in anywhere and we have some fun neighborhood bars that we can't get in during "season", unless we wait in line. The traffic is about half of what it during season, too.

Tree City likes this.
  18. Tree City

aw, I love that you have friends and now family in your neighborhood! How fun is that?!

How cool for wildlife near the city! And yea for a chill HOA. :) That's what I want: let the homeowners enjoy their home/property and do what they want (as long as it doesn't break city/county/whatever laws or codes).

Oh, that's good you only have one rental near you! Cuz you never really know with a rental, do ya?
    And thank you! I'm sure it'll go well once we get some of these initial kinks straightened out. Love the idea of a welcome basket! How sweet of the neighborhood to do that! (I might be taking that idea lol!)

cfile likes this.
  19. Tree City

That's a bummer, because those events could be such a great chance to really get to know your neighbors. You don't have to be best friends or anything, but you might meet someone you click with or whom you could trade babysitting duties with (or who can recommend a babysitter). And I love how you recognize that your daughter helped get you "out of the house"! My kids do the same thing with me.

That is so great! And how awesome that your kids have all grown up together! I'm hoping for that with my kids and their neighborhood friends, esp. since DD lived in 3 states by the time she was 6 (and DS in 2 states before he was 2). It's nice to be "settled," ya know?

Oh, I believe that! I have a friend in Destin and she always complains about summer traffic!

20. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Down the middle of the curve of the block is where the rentals are and well they think that the front yard is a playground so not pretty and they leave things out all the time... They all have backyards.. LOL why the front?? LOL UGH

Re the basket, yes it was really nice.. I am not sure what was in it, but I want to say crackers and little things.. things for the area.. we are in Va Beach so not sure if there were beach related items, but perhaps peanuts or something that is native to Virginia.. I just know there was no ham! LOL Have fun with the welcome basket!!

Tree City likes this.