Need some help...

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by renee82, Nov 13, 2009.

1. renee82

renee82 renee82

Girls I really want to improve my photography skills. Are there any books or sites you can recommend? Maybe an online course? I want it to be very straight forward since as soon as I start to see numbers and such I go blank... A lot of you girls are just awesome photogs and I know you'll have tips for me. :) Thanks!

2. CrystalLongbrake

CrystalLongbrake New Member

www.clickinmoms.com

I can't say enough good things about this forum, fabulous and unbelievably helpful!

3. trudem

trudem New Member

4. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

Understanding Exposure is really good. Also 2peas has a free self paced course that is very straight forward.

5. 2BG

2BG Enjoying time with baby

I like what the other ladies have suggested already but I bought this course from Creative Techs : http://creativetechs.com/training/

It is kinda pricey $75 US but the content is AMAZING. I actually bought the class when it was only 50 US and you get a 10 week course that basically covers everything! It's a webcast and you get the class plus a Q&A section for every week. Anyways I can't find a direct link to the course (I only have my link to the downloads) but if your interested scroll down on the side of the link I gave and it will say course downloads on the right side.

P.S. I also bought the photoshop and the illustrator courses....I was just that impressed with them.

6. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Understanding Exposure was like a lightbulb for me. I loved Scott Kelby's Digital Photography 1, but the second book seemed much more geared toward setting up a professional portrait studio and that wasn't what I was really looking for.

7. 2BG

2BG Enjoying time with baby

8. emilymerritt

emilymerritt skrpbkmom

9. 1girl1boy

1girl1boy Miss Glee!

I'm with Emily. theblogisfound.com is one of my faves!

10. judet

judet Active Member

I'm not sure I'm a good enough photographer to really comment - but I'm going to second (or is it third?!) the Understanding Exposure book. So clearly written and helpful.

My pictures have got so much better recently, I think its a combination of reading the manual (boring, yes, but now I know how my camera works - except for the 'P' mode, can't get that, keeps falling out of my brain), reading the book, stealing ideas and just playing around, taking a ridiculous number of pictures.

11. jstbkuz

jstbkuz needs a spanking

i really enjoy clickin moms
    understanding exposure helped but I was already ahead of it at the time I got it.

The biggest thing is to understand your camera and understand the relationship between

ISO , Shutter, Aperture and Your white balance.

Lens choice is also a BIG deal, if you are shooting with a kit lens... good luck.

The cheapest BEST investment for someone learning is the 50mm f/1.8. Its amazing.

And then alot of the work is on the computer, which you already are great at!

Oh and let me add, my skills improved 100% once I started shooting manual.
    You get total control over every setting and I meter in camera all the time.

12. my3hens

my3hens Is only good for one thing....

one of the BIGGEST online forums and resources for me is http://www.Ilovephotography.com it is totally free but you do have to sign up to see everything. There is a wealth of info as well as a ton of talent there.
    I also cant say enough about clickinmoms. Totally AMAZING group of women there!

13. jstbkuz

jstbkuz needs a spanking

just join clickin moms you will love it!