Need help with Selection in PSE 2018

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by BevG, Jan 6, 2019.

1. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

So I have been scrapping in PSE 2018 since July so somethings are still new to me. I was following the instructions in the January 6 challenge and then had this problem.

So I put my star on its own layer. I even simplified it (just in case). The instructions said to use Selection, Load Selection (which PSE has). However, the Load Selection option is greyed out on my menu. You can see I am on the star layer. How do I get it to select the shape of the star, i.e. the marching ants?
    screen shot.jpg

Okay - I used the Magic Wand selection tool instead and got it to select the star. So I can move forward with the challenge - but I would like to know why my Load Selection was greyed out. Exactly what does Load Selection mean?

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Bev, I just went through the same thing and about pulled my hair out. I used the quick select tool - mine was greyed out in the top, too. If you need more help, let me know.

3. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@BevG and @Cherylndesigns - If you were to hold down hold your Ctrl on Windows or Command on a MAC key and click on the layer you want selected you should see the marching ants and then go to the layer you want the star cut from and hit delete. Then go back to your star and delete or hide it.

I just reread what Bev shared and there is no need to "Load Selection". You need to only select the layer you want the marching ants on.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    cfile likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Thanks, Anne-Marie, but I don't have a Mac. Wish I did. :( I don't know if Bev does or not.

5. A-M

I have a windows computer so the key to use is the Ctrl ( control ) and I added the other as I had a feeling Bev uses a Mac.

6. Cherylndesigns

I just couldn't get mine to work, so I went on You Tube and that's what I found out - to use the quick selection tool on the side. I did that and then followed the instructions here on the board. It worked - I was a happy camper. LOL

7. BevG

These keyboard short-cuts are killing me! I should print out a cheat card... I am not used to software having so many of them...

@A-M I Don't Compute With Fruit, so I am on Windows. :dance

Thanks! I will have to play with that.

bestcee likes this.
  8. A-M

@BevG and @Cherylndesigns
    I just opened up my CS6 and realised the instructions given for the challenge stating "Load Selection" is only for Photoshop not PSE.
    I also have two or three versions of PSE on my computer but use CS6 for my scrapbooking.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  9. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

I use the CTRL key and click on the shape in the layers panel to select them all the time (whether I am using PSE or PS CC)....... quick and easy :) I don't use fruit either Bev :giggle @BevG

cfile and Danyale like this.
  10. wombat146

@BevG And these are some steps on using the Load Selection command in PSE2018 Bev.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop-elements/using/saving-selections.html

In a nutshell, after selecting an area of a photo or element (highlighting it/putting marching ants around it) you can save just that selection and give it a name. You then able to recall just the selected bit by using the Load Selection command (it would have been greyed out because you had no saved selections). Once you save a Selection you will have a list of 'selected' items that you can Load from at a later date.

To be honest I don't use this option at all, when I highlight/select something I tend to use the selection straight away and have no need to load again into another document/layout........ no doubt it may be used in work processes by other people, but I haven't really had a need to use it myself. :)

bestcee and jesskab like this.
  11. BevG

Thank you so much @wombat146. That makes total sense now that you have explained it. Maybe if you created a custom shape maybe that you wanted to use over and over, you could load it as a saved selection???

And thanks for telling me the keyboard shortcut. I need to remember that one.

12. wombat146

You are most welcome and yes, that is exactly what that feature could be used for. :) Happy MOCing! :)

13. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

wombat146 likes this.