NBK Design October 2022 Challenge **Closed and Winners Announced

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by mocamom, Oct 1, 2022.

1. mocamom

mocamom Runs on coffee. And with scissors.

Hello! CTM Robin here with a new challenge for October. I know that fall can be a busy season for those of us in the States – school has started as well as sports, band, gymnastics, and whatever else our families are involved in. Therefore, I thought I’d make this challenge one that is easy to complete, yet also makes us learn something new. Our kids are learning, so why don’t we?!

What I’d like you to do is find any FREE tutorial related to YOUR software (PSCC, PSE, Affinity, SBC, etc). Then, after watching / reading that tutorial, I’d like you to make a scrapbook page that reflects your newfound knowledge (using Nicole’s products of course hehe!). After you are finished with your layout, come back here and show off your page, let us know what software you use, AND post a link to the tutorial you used. That way, all of us can learn from each other without spending time searching the internet for new tutorials. Does that make sense?

Let me show you what I mean. Here’s my layout using Nicole’s Inner Monologue as well as a frame from her Dear Diary collection:

[​IMG]

For this layout I followed the instructions on how to achieve the torn paper look from these two tutorials: HERE (video) and HERE (written). Both of these lessons use the lasso tool in Photoshop to create the torn effect, rather than a brush. Since I don't have to hunt for a perfect brush, this technique is quick and easy for me to use, and thus I’m more likely to use it!

Remember, you can use any tutorial that works with your software. Think of adding special effects to text, or using shapes, or cutting paper, or really - just about anything you want to learn! I’ll list a few here just to give you an example (but don’t feel like you have to use these!):

Photoshop: 3D Paper, Gold Gradient, Folded Paper, Combining Photos, Making Collages
    Affinity: Isometric Text, Curved Shadows, Folded Paper, Sphere Shadows, Paper Cut

So, summary of rules:
    1. Find a FREE tutorial using YOUR software and learn something new
    2. Create a layout using this new knowledge and Nicole’s products
    3. Post your layout here in this thread along with what software you used AND A LINK TO THE TUTORIAL so we all can learn from each other
    That’s it. Easy Peasy!!! I cannot wait to see what you find and your gorgeous layouts!!

GENERAL RULES
    - This challenge runs from October 1st to October 31st.
    - TWO lucky scrappers will be randomly chosen to win a $5 coupon to the NBK-Design store.
    - You must use 100% NBK-Design Products.
    -Post your layout in the NBK-Design Gallery and in this forum and link your layout to the gallery.

Follow Nicole/NBK Design at
    Youtube https://go.nbk-design.com/YouTube
    Instagram https://instagram.com/nbk_design/
    Product Catalogue https://go.nbk-design.com/ProductCatalogue
    Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NBKDesign
    Newsletter http://eepurl.com/heB6A

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    CathQuillScrap likes this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

3. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Kisses for Bart

4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Thank you for the prompt to try something new. I use the Affinity Suite.

I went for turning a photo into a jigsaw. I used this You-Tube video. The tutorial is for Affinity Photo. I created my jigsaw template in Affinity Designer - the steps were the same.

[​IMG]

jam-on-toast, Dady and vixen like this.
  5. mocamom

What a FABULOUS tutorial and layout!!! Now you've made me see if I can find this for PS as well. Thank you for playing along :)

Angela Toucan likes this.
  6. onaponakookt

onaponakookt Well-Known Member

I found a really easy tutorial, since it uses an action. Does that count?

Anyway, I had fun creating this jigsaw puzzle for my pocket page layout.
    [​IMG]

7. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

8. onaponakookt

onaponakookt Well-Known Member

I tried another tutorial, this time for turning a picture into a watercolor painting.
    you can find it at
    [​IMG]

9. jam-on-toast

jam-on-toast Well-Known Member

OMG... this is soooo cool! I use Affinity too. Will definitely try it.

mocamom and Angela Toucan like this.
  10. jam-on-toast

jam-on-toast Well-Known Member

Robin, this is such a cool challenge. As I am on Nicole's creative team, I don't qualify for the prize draw. I created this page for the style challenge here at the Lilypad and am sharing it here in this thread just for fun. I really love this curved shadow tutorial and used it for the creased edge.. for the crease itself I used a black rectacle with gradient transparency applied - it is another trick I learned from one of the tutorials or blogs??? - online a long time ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    Angela Toucan likes this.
  11. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    trekmom likes this.
  12. mocamom

It definitely counts and you did a great job with this action! I also LOVE your watercolor layout. I went and bookmarked that tutorial since I want to scraplift your layout. GREAT JOB!

onaponakookt likes this.
  13. mocamom

14. mocamom

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and beautiful layout! I am going to try the folded corner on my next layout. I really like how realistic you made that!! I think you should write a tutorial for us all hehehehehe :)

onaponakookt likes this.
  15. mocamom

Hey @Cath_ could you share what tutorial you used to make this layout? Thanks!!

Cath_ likes this.
  16. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

17. trekmom

trekmom Well-Known Member

onaponakookt likes this.
  18. mocamom

19. LuLuLor

LuLuLor Member

[​IMG]
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/florida-wetland.516928/

Started with NBK - EP - Out of the Grid 2. Turned it counter clockwise. Removed mask 4,5 & 6.
    Kit used: NBK - 365 - Roadtrip. Love paper 16. It was perfect for trying out some type techniques for my FLORIDA header.

1) Multi Color Drop Shadow PS
    2) How to Bend Text or Shape in PS

I learned you can create multiple drop shadows at the same time. Pretty Cool. Thanks for the fun challenge! Always love learning new tips and tricks to the Digital Scrapbooking Trade.

20. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

here is mine . [​IMG]

i first used a tutorial to get rid of the glare in my grandsons glasses.

and then i used the watercolor tutorial that was shared here.

i would like to show you the before with his glasses with glare I think i have added thge before photo here

Attached Files: